Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freezing gas

Options
  • 03-11-2006 5:01pm

We currently live in a mobile home (house 2/3 built) the past coulpe of days the temprture has dropped to near 0 deg C, Unfortunately the bottled gas is freezing in the regulator causing us allsorts of problems.

Anyone have any ideas on how to relieve this problem, I currently have to pour warm water on the regulator to thaw it out, I'm sure thats the wrongway :o but whats is the correct way

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gonk

We currently live in a mobile home (house 2/3 built) the past coulpe of days the temprture has dropped to near 0 deg C, Unfortunately the bottled gas is freezing in the regulator causing us allsorts of problems.

Anyone have any ideas on how to relieve this problem, I currently have to pour warm water on the regulator to thaw it out, I'm sure thats the wrongway :o but whats is the correct way

Thanks.

I remember as a child seeing a builder on a site overcome a similar problem on a cold morning by heating one gas bottle over the open flame from a gas ring attached to another bottle, which they usually used to make their tea.

I'm pretty sure this is also not the correct way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm sure I've seen little insulating 'jackets' for gas cylinder regulators somewhere. Don't know how much use they'd be though. You could always manufacture your own with some bubble wrap or something similar and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Please be really careful in this cold weather that the rubber tubing associated with these appliances does not perish and cause a leak ! :eek:

gonk wrote:
    I remember as a child seeing a builder on a site overcome a similar problem on a cold morning by heating one gas bottle over the open flame from a gas ring attached to another bottle,

Not sure that I want to be the first builder in orbit:eek:
    AnnaStezia wrote:
    Please be really careful in this cold weather that the rubber tubing associated with these appliances does not perish and cause a leak !

Ok there the tube is new and in good condition.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

wrap old blankets or coats on it to stop frost getting at the gas, should do the trick...

I use basin warm water occasionally (not so sure if this is safe option though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I'd suggest switching from Butane (yellow cylinder) to Propane (red cylinders).
    They have a different regulator too. Butate freezes arount zero degrees but Propane doesn't freeze 'till approx minun thirty degrees.

Advertisement