Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Updates

• 03-11-2006 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

When you run Windows Updates and MS downloads and installs the updates is the actual downloaded patch left on your system. I have a laptop(no internet access) and I would like to apply some of the patches to it. I know softwarepatch.com has a lot of the MS patches but if they are being downloaded to my system when I update it I will have them already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

when you go to windows update theres a link on the left of the page for "use administrator options"
    click on that and then choose windows catalog and it will let you select and download any updates that you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Prisoner6409,

While the patchs are downloaded to your machine, they are NOT downloaded in the conventional sense where you can simply find the patch and double click etc.

What I like to use / store on a usb /cd is a tool called Autopatcher. Every month they release the latest version which contains all the MS patchs to date. (Less Service Packs).

For Instance you can get the 2000 SP4 October version which will install all the patchs for Win 2000 SP4 up untill the Oct patchs release. Its a very handy tool to have espically for non networked / Internet machines.

GL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you can use the ms method above which does download normal exe files to your hard drive.

do you have a link to that autopatcher tool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

subway wrote:
    you can use the ms method above which does download normal exe files to your hard drive.

do you have a link to that autopatcher tool?

October 2006 Autopatcher available at:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=504218

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

They should be stored in your temporary internet files folder (c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temporary internet files)
    from memory, this folder displays a little oddly if you browse to it with windows explorer... haven't bothered doing it in years, but i remember saving the downloaded files using total commander previously

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I'm having the same problem installing some machines we've just bought from Dell that require 45 windows patches. Leaving aside how poorly that makes Dell look to me, it would be much quicker to me if I could copy the files from that directory to a usb key and from there to the same directory on a new machine. I've used autopatcher in the past, but it seems a slow enough process when you're dealing with multiple machines and little time to get them sorted.

Autopatcher may be a large file but its very good in the fact that you can run it and walk away. Leave it run over night to be honest if you are going to be doing multiple machines I would really look into setting up a WUS (windows update server) on an old box.

Advertisement