Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPTV through router??

Options
  • 03-11-2006 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a Magnet package at the moment, but need to put the Xbox, and a media thingy on the network, close to the television. There's only 1 port beside the TV, so I thought "Hmm, 4-port hub should do that.."

Doesn't apparently. Can connect to the internet no problem at all, but cannot connect the IPTV and I think this has something to do with IP ranges and/or DNS. But will accede quite happily to anyone elses better informed-ness on this subject.

So the set top box is Amino (dunno what model number), the router is a Belkin 4-port hub, and thats it.

EDIT: The STB model is Aminet110.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 baldur

IPTV uses IGMPv2, hence your switch has to be IGMP aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shaneh

Hi,
    just got a router today so having the exact same problem. Does anyone know of a fix for this.

My ROUTER is Netgear WGR614 v6. I done searches on Google on IGMP for Netgear routers but nothing comes up. Is IGMP for switches only???

Any help greatly appreciated!!!
    Cheers
    Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bublehead

Hi,
    I'm posting this in case anyone else is having this problem as there's precious little about this on the net :mad:

I too had this problem with magnets iptv box, as I was short ports in one room. I thought that I could configure router so that Amino 110 would work through it.

I had thought it was a Igmp issue and to that point bought a new router with igmp support, with the intention of returning it if it didn't work (thanks Marx computers). I have since decided to keep it as I didn't have a wi-fi one previously.

After 3 days messing with its settings, I figured out that for the tv box to work it had to regester its mac address and had to have a specific ip address. I did get it working through the router, but only when I cloned the mac address and ip address. I couldn't get the internet through it then.
    I then slapped myself and thought why not just use it as a switch and let Magnets own router in the house assign the ip addresses.

For those of you not familiar with setting a router as a switch, have a look and follow the link below.

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Knowledge;action=display;num=1133918703

This even worked with my old (non wi-fi) router. It's just a matter of setting an ip address so you can still access the routers settings, turning off DHCP on the router, and then plugging the cable into the lan side of the router rather than the wan port !!!

Hey presto, 2 computer and 1 tv plugged into the router !

and still getting 16MB download speeds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

The switch doesn't have to be IGMP aware, just that the multicast traffic i.e IPTV will be flooded to all ports on the switch. If you enable IGMP (snooping) on a switch it will take note of what port requested the Multicast stream (via IGMP request) and flood it just out that port.

Thanks,
    Noclee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Nomad81

I know this is an old one, but I really had to post a reply rather than start a new thread.

I just have to say in between that boards.ie is a godsend!!!

Phoned the magnet helpline because I was having the same issue after setting up my network at home last night. The bloke on the other end couldn't be arsed to give me a decent answer. I knew the answer was out there somewhere.

Thanks bubblehead! I'll give it a go later tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Nomad81

By the way, how do I know what the Magnet router's ip address and DHCP range is?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bublehead

Hey, am amased this post is still open :) Glad someone has found it of some use anyway, as had same experience of Magnet and couldn't find anything online about either. I didn't believe it when they said it couldn't be done :eek: :mad:.

Anyway to answer your question, as the magnet router is locked away, I don't know any details about make/model or way setup. DHCP range I couldn't tell you, but this shouldn't matter.

When you connect router as a switch, ip address for all devices plugged into this router(switch) is set by DCHP of preceding router (whatever way magnet have this set up). The Amino tv boxes when plugged in are assigned a ip address in the reserved ip address range of 10.x.x.x . A pc or other device plugged in will get a public ip address (in my location the public ip range 85.x.x.x which seems to stay static).

Magnets rules say you can only connect up to 3 devices, but I am presuming their tv boxes don't count in this as I have 2 tv boxes, my own sip based phone and a pc plugged in. Actually, I have multiple pc's, but I have them behind a router which is plugged into the switch for the tv, so router counts as 1 device as each pc is on lan side. The router set up as switch is only needed to get the amino tv boxes working.

Anyway if you need to know your ip on the wan side (public ip), all you need to do is go to a website like ipchicken.
    Magnets router doesn't seem to have an ip assigned to it and is not able to be configured.

Hope this helps :D

Advertisement