Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The year so far?

Options
  • 03-11-2006 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

The "waste" thread showed that most of us are feeling very lost and confused with regards points. Perhaps those working towards a goal slightly higher than they could achieve right now have it best?
    But what do ye think of the year as a whole? It's supposed to be the hardest year of your life - anyone else feeling like they're still waiting for it to start?

Maybe when the Christmas exams hit I'll start to feel the strain, but the main strain for me personally atm is just trying to figure out what I want to do at the end of it all, rather than trying to work towards the points for that course. All my current options are easily attainable (about 400 is the max), but 2/3 of my current options involve a portfolio, which is worth half the marks to get in..does this mean I should be working on that just as much as I work on the school craic?

It always sounded so simple, a year of hardship, study study study study, if you do it enough, you get into college. But I'm finding the choice of what pick far harder!

So, what do ye think of the year so far as a whole? Stress? Goals? Choices? Bushing down the park with a flaggin of huzzar on a Friday night? Or staying in working towards a job that can cure those who choose the former?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I don't get Christmas exams this year, but I could do with em.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I need 510 points. I'm finding it hard to actually sit down and study..but I have other motivation too, to beat this really, really irritating girl in my class that I hate. It actually works more than my points target? Anyway, nah I'm getting a lot of work and homework...it's getting annoying..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Ugh I'm so over stressed right now. Leaving Cert. in one year! I've had to try forget my techniques from the A Levels and learn 6 new subjects. Eek! Keep hearing only this many weeks and you'll be sitting your exams. And I can't repeat. My parents would murder me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭snapjiggyfluff

not really feeling the stress yet, prob will by christmas! The lowest I'm aiming for is about 500 so I'm really going to have to start getting down to it! I agree with the OP, spending a lot of time lookinh at colleges and courses, time which should be spent studying!

I need 510 points. I'm finding it hard to actually sit down and study..but I have other motivation too, to beat this really, really irritating girl in my class that I hate. It actually works more than my points target? Anyway, nah I'm getting a lot of work and homework...it's getting annoying..

Jeez, didn't know you hated me THAT much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

lol, good-luck with that :)

Mostly this year so far has been not so bad.
    Principal is in and out of the classroom, daily almost, scaring the sh1t out of some peeps in the class. I'm having the same problem at the moment trying to get settled into a study routine. I know that i'll probably just end up cramming from feb. to may though which is annoying.
    I too am still quite unsure what I want to do - as is a LOT of other people in my class. Im not too worried though - at the end of the LC, if I decide that I would have liked a certain course better - atleast I know that I will like my current choice, even if its not exactly what I may have been best suited for

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Im not stressed at all. I know when its closer I'll do a lot of work, I do a bit every night now and I need about 360 max. for Arts. I hope to attain about 430-440 points. Im inconsistent with what I study though, pretty much French every night, and something else. Its all a load of crap and the more I go into the year, it seems to be ok. Come next May I'll prob say something different but for now Im keeping up with everything and doing a small bit extra, its the most I'll ever do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

You need to put it in perspective. It may be the hardest year of your life so far, but it's certainly not the hardest year of your overall life.

There's no point getting stressed over it either, not yet anyway. Just get the work done and keep on top of everything.
    More important is to stop worrying about courses etc. and just try do you're best. I don't think aiming solely for your course points is a very smart way of going about things. People don't realise, but there is a huge amount of flexibility in colleges. If you pick a course, and a month in you realise it's not for you, you can change, as long as you have the points and there is space in your prefared course. I did it twice!If you dont know what you want to do, don't worry, you have plenty of time to decide.

So don't aim only for the points you need. It might turn out you hate what you're doing but as long as you have the points, you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

TimAy wrote:
    People don't realise, but there is a huge amount of flexibility in colleges. If you pick a course, and a month in you realise it's not for you, you can change, as long as you have the points and there is space in your prefared course. I did it twice!If you dont know what you want to do, don't worry, you have plenty of time to decide.

Have to disagree there. That depends entirely on the college. My sister (NUIG) decided she didn't like her course after a month and a half, she was unable to switch, had to effectively drop out for the year, and pay €3000 registration fees this year to start the course she wanted to change to.

Not doubting you or anything, just...may not be the best idea to give that kind of advice when it's certainly not always the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

lol, depending on the college then. It could be worth checking out with a few of the colleges on your list if the option is there after a month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

hehehehehehe. That motivates me to do well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Do you think they'd have that kind of flexibility if changing course involved changing college entirely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I need 355 and could probably get over 500 without overly exerting myself.

GWAHAHAHA!!! The joys of being smart(and cocky).

Seriously though, I am pretty stressed. Despite the low amount of points I need I feel I should be working to the best of my ability and also there's the pressure from the 'rents to do exceedingly well.(And expectations from friends)

What I don't get is why people are stressing themselves to live up to other peoples' expectations? TBH if I did that I'd end up with like 200 points :p but seriously it really annoys me the way some parents put so much pressure on their kids, the only pressure my mother is putting on me is to stay in Dublin after I leave school. She'd be happy if I get anything between 300 and 400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Aero787

Nobody is putting any pressure on me. I'm doing it for me and nobody else. And I'll be allowed to go wherever I want in the country for college! I guess I'm pretty lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think the reason I'd put pressure on myself (aside from any course requirement related things) is that after spending so long in secondary school, it'd be a shame not to do the best I can in the LC. All those long years of work to be misrepresented in the end, twould be a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

So far I think that the year is going pretty well when compared with my previous years of schooling. Not since first year have I applied myself to my work as I am now. I do regret not applying myself for the past 5 years though, because it means that no matter how hard that I work (and I do intend on working hard), I won't be able to live up to my potential.

It isn't all bad though. We had our Christmas tests throughout the week and I'm hoping for an average grade of perhaps a C1, but I think the mocks will give a far more accurate indication of what I'm able to achieve as I'm merely getting used to studying now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Hoping to get round 500 or all Bs in higher to get my dream career tests on monday and tuesday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

:eek: I really think i might be sc***ed for the LC. At the moment i am feeling absolutely no pressure, i just about get my homework done! and do absolutely no study!!:D For some reason all of this doesn't worry me as i know as i always do with my life that i'm going to cram cram cram cram at the last minute, and most of the time it works! Im looking for 450 points and i know if i do a decent amount of work i can get that. But a decent amount of work at this stage is a distant dream. So far this weekend i've done no homework, no study and don't plan to until around 5pm this evening:D like everyweek! I'm slipping in maths though! got 60% in the last test. I know my weaknesses; maths, french, physics and im going to try and get a little bit of those covered before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think the reason I'd put pressure on myself (aside from any course requirement related things) is that after spending so long in secondary school, it'd be a shame not to do the best I can in the LC. All those long years of work to be misrepresented in the end, twould be a shame.
    I would have to agree with this. A teacher who was concerned about me put it to me like that. It's all very well plodding a long and picking up your 300 points, but it's a much better feeling walking out those gates next year, knowing that you did as well as you possibly could and knowing that you have more freedom when it comes to changing courses, should your first preference not suit you.

That message really hit home and since then, my attitude has begun to change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement