Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prem Weekend Fixtures Thread.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm really enjoying this game which is a suprise for me watching a premiership match. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Missed the Arsenal game. How bad was the argument, Richard Keys just called it a scuffle. Was their handbags involved?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

2-1 Lennon.

Good to see a Robbie Keane run going somewhere for once. He's had his headless chicken boots on today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Terry off for 2 yellows.

Mike.

Yeh! Spurs beat Chelsea.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Quite an enjoyable game....... for an EPL fixture :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Spurs are really a totally different team these days to the one at the start of the season, starting to think a top 3 finish might be possible after all!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Quite a good game, but I think Spurs were lucky with the ref, both in the disallowed goal and the 2nd yellow for Terry.
    Either way, woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

great win. 2 teams playing great football.
    16 years of hurt etc etc :)

• Advertisement

table

1Man Utd
    2Chelsea
    3Bolton
    4Portsmouth
    5Arsenal
    6Aston Villa
    7Everton
    8Liverpool
    9Fulham
    10Tottenham
    11Wigan
    12Reading
    13Blackburn
    14Man City
    15West Ham
    16Middlesbrough
    17Watford
    18Sheff Utd
    19Newcastle
    20Charlton

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A most enjoyable Sunday. Chelsea were unlucky particulaly with the disallowed goal. They appeared to play better when Terry went off but Spurs spunred a couple of very scorable chances of their own.

Looks like thre is going to be a decent battle for the title this year which is excellent from a fans point of view.

Well done Spurs for an overall deserved victory and it was nice to see Murinho and Jol behaving in a sporting fashion after the game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

What a refreshing breath of air, Martin O' Neill is

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6094124.stm

Villa manager Martin O'Neill on the penalty decisions:
    "I have seen the penalty again and also the incident where Petrov was involved. If you give one, you probably have to give the other.

"Some people said it was a very soft penalty - I've seen them given, but if that's the case, Petrov's is the same.

"But Martin Laursen was outstanding. Liam Ridgewell was ill in the morning, Martin came straight into the side, and I don't think he lost a header."

The other 19 managers in the league, our own sparky included would be saying they didnt get a good look at it or one was deserved and not the other, but fairplay to martin, if you give one penalty for something so innocuous, you gotta give the other one....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Nice weekend for United, still looking stronge, shame it was not end of May!!!
    But we need to be getting points ahead of Chelsea before we hit our annual slump.
    Great games today, they Hleb was unlucky with the no peno but Wenger was a bit childish.
    Spurs game was excellent, confidence seems to be back.
    Shame about the fans throwing coins, no call for that shi&*T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

It's early days yet.

As they were saying on The Premiership, If you look at Man Uniteds squad players they don't fill the gap left by the player they replace, I mean Fletcher to replace Ronaldo, O' Shea for Carrick or Scholes, Richardson for Giggs.

It's not the same as having Sheva for Drogba or SWP or Kalou for Robben.
    Makelele for Essien, etc...

The only place I see United as having better depth is at centre-half.

If united are lucky with injuries it could be very close, but if they pick up one or two key injuries it might be too much to sustain the pace, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's not the same as having Sheva for Drogba or SWP or Kalou for Robben.
    Makelele for Essien, etc...

The only place I see United as having better depth is at centre-half.

Do they really have that much more squad depth than United?

Obviously they have a****load of midfielders, but what about in defense?

Cole, Cavalho, Bridge, Ferreira, Terry, Boulahrouz

That's six players for 4 positions, but it's barely even that, because it's two players for each full back position, and 2 CB's.
    That is a weak defsensive depth.

What about up front?

Shev and Drogba. Nothing else. If one of them gets injured, they have one striker. Kalou has shown he is jsut an attacking midfielder. That is less depth than United have in Rooney, Saha, Ole and Smith, yet people don't seem to think that they have little depth up front.

Every time you ask what would happen if Scholes was injured, ask what would happen if Terry was injured?
    What would happen if Rooney was injured? What would happen if Drogba was injured?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Early days yet indeed, and it's only 3 points. United have a habit of dropping 3 points against bottom league teams. Providing utd don't get any more injuries and keep going the way they are it will be an interesting season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Uniteds habit of dropping stupid points usually came from Fergie dropping players to "save" them for European ties.

Thankfully Fergie has his head screwed on correctly this season and knows that the priority is the PL. Hence the few lads left behind in Manchester last week for the Copenhagen. I was more than happy that he did this as IMO the priority has to be the PL. You have to walk before you run. :)

A couple of tricky away ties coming up before the Chelsea game whereas they have 2 home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It was a good weekend for Liverpool, a comfortable win and a step towards 4th place and some more repectability. Given Arsenal's hiccup, and Arsenal's propensity it would seem to have more hiccups along the way this season, it could shape up for a battle between 3rd and 4th between them and Liverpool. At the moment, I would take 4th if it was offered but 3rd would be better and is achievable.

It was a weekend that marked Alex Ferguson's 20th year as a top-flight manager. That is remarkable in itself. Its true he and Man Utd had more resources than most to bring them their success and still do, but to stay in such a job over such a long time is a sign that he must be doing something right. But longevity in one job does not necessarily make him the best manager. Several polls were done but I would not rate Ferguson as the best manager of all time. Indeed what he did with Aberdeen may have been more remarkable given their resources.

Chelsea continue to expend a lot of energy in their matches, and mental energy at that. Its a hiccup against Spurs, but they were unlucky not to come way with a point or even the win itself. The good news is that it gives hope not only to Man Utd, but to others and the leagues itself.

I for one would prefer to see Man Utd win the league than Chelsea to secure their 3rd in a row. Its better for the game, albeit perhaps from a Liverpool perspective a Hobson's choice between 'two evils'. But the gap between 2nd and 3rd is 5 points and what with Bolton and Portsmouth going backwards in recent weeks, its not a very wide open season, far from it.

An important point to add is that Newcastle, now 2nd from bottom are in crisis mode. Not very long ago, they were the 4th team in the league and although they shouldn't go down, its not good to see them doing so poorly.

Meanwhile, in Scotland, Celtic march on with a sweet win over Hearts and are 13 pts ahead after 13 games. Only they can lose it now.

redspider

Advertisement