Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lead Loading

Options
  • 03-11-2006 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

In Fas in Ballyfermot at the moment, for phase two of my apprenticeship and we've started Lead Loading, i've never seen it done before i know that in the garage i work in we've never done it before, just wondering is this a dying art replaced by Isopon or are there any old timers out there still at it?

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is that not the same thing? surely the definition of a dying art is one only practiced by the old timers? that will die when they all retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Lead loading for those who don't know what it is.
    http://www.sovereigncoachworks.com/page2/files/page2-movie-2.mp4

Saw it the other day on a tv program, seems thousands times better than blobs of Isopon that I've seen in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

And a thousand times harder to do too but its a job for life where plastic filler is really only a temporary repair. The only thing I find is very few people are prepared to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd have any half decent (modified) show car would have lead loading,

I'd say it would be very heavy with solid rubber tyres.:D

• Advertisement

As far as I know, if they're smoothing tailgates, or smoothing out manufacturers creases in the body, lead loading is the way to go.

Its generally only used on stress points in customising and on joints or even rust damaged areas where standard filler wouldn't last with out cracking. Its a life long repair, but some people think you can use it instead of body filler, I'm afraid this is not the case, as well as being incredibly expensive and hard to work with, its really only intended for local repairs.

I saw a stunning MK3 Golf that had all creases ironed out of it. it weighed an awful lot more than a standard Golf by the time it was finished!

Advertisement