Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Farmers Market in Dundalk!

Options
  • 03-11-2006 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Yes, that's right, a third Farmers Market for Dundalk.

This one will be every Sunday between 11am and 5pm at the Marshes Shoping Centre.

It promises loads of stalls... cheese, olives and other lovely stuff that neither of the other 2 do so might be worth checking out!

Anyone else????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

This is a most ridiculous situation, guy behind it was originally behind the Castlebellingham one which is once a month. The council didnt help by blocking the market taking place at the towns "Market Square", instead they allow and even licence those horrible other stalls outside the AIB. I cant understand this when these stalls sell many counterfeit items and look horrible for the town compared to some of the more traditional stalls at the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Any of these farmers markets worth going to ?

The stalls outside the AIB look like knackers, selling counterfeit crap, total gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Wot?? Counterfit primulas? Skimmias? and other things horticultural??

Counterfit "Revels" and loo roll??

Anyway, Castlebellingham has been dieing a death or so I've heard. Maybe they'll all be here this Sunday... might be worth a visit.

Yes sudz it will be well worth a visit hopefully it lasts.

In relation to the guys outside AIB, things like the Daz washing powder and Duracell batteries are fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

This is a most ridiculous situation, guy behind it was originally behind the Castlebellingham one which is once a month. The council didnt help by blocking the market taking place at the towns "Market Square", instead they allow and even licence those horrible other stalls outside the AIB. I cant understand this when these stalls sell many counterfeit items and look horrible for the town compared to some of the more traditional stalls at the square.

The council tried to get rid of them a few years ago but found it legally impossible. More fool the people who buy off them otherwise they would be out of business years ago

• Advertisement

Well...??

Anyone check it out?

I did!

I liked the olives stand! And the cheese... tons of organic veggies too. Still no proper bread tho... well, there was lots of bread but it was the mass-produced sort... :(

Will be back for the olives and cheese though! :D

Sudz were there many stalls there, where were they located, at the front of the Marshes opposite the back gates of Williamsons Mall. Any organic beers ?

No beer Dundalk Daily! Just apple juice! S'pose you could bring your own to go with the freebie bits of cheese and olives they put out for tasting!

Yes, it's where you say it is. And inside the centre itself there's jewellery, natural soaps, bath bombs (a bit like Lush stuff), a guy with all sorts of tea and coffee beans which he'll grind for you. A few bits of natural food/herbal remedy stuff....

Outside is the olives, articholes, gherkins in those half-barrels that you find at most food markets. A stall with loads of cheeses at one end and at the other seafood... little squid, thai prawns, soused herrings.... Think they have some pates/terrines too. There's a bread stand.. all sorts but as I said a bit mass-produced. There's a fudge stall! And lotsa veggies. Some shrubs too.

Good to be able to get stuff the supermarkets don't do. Hope it lasts. Make sure you go next week! (don't forget your beer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Think I may venture to this aswell. Sounds good.

Sudz thanks for the run down I will def go this week, just forgot it on Sunday. Tell me this the bread stall do you know if its the same folks that had the bread stall at the Castlebellingham market.

Also is this market going to be at the mercy of the weather as its out in the open. I think it would be ridiculous if it eventually moves into the centre. I still say the market square is a gret place for anything like this. Or a temp marquee type roof over a section of Earl st. Its a wonder Cllr Dearey hasnt suggested the market take place outside his pub. ;)

• Advertisement

Actually there's 2 bread stalls!

Not sure if either were doing the Castlebellingham market as I only went once and there was very little.. blueberries, honey and veggies!

But the bread people that are at the Friday market are there.

Like the Earl St. idea! And who's Cllr Dearey and where's his pub???

Spiritstore Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nipped down earlier on, not a huge market, but enough bits n pieces

Got some tasty crepes, and some stuff from the organic fruit n veg.

Not too bad :)

Not huge, no... but bigger than the other 2 put together!

It's a pity they can't all get together because I certainly don't have the time to visit 3 different markets every week... Surely the Friday and Saturday stallholders would do better business if they bunged in together or set up at the Sunday one.

Yes its a pity but typical Ireland 3 similar markets in the one town, no incentives as usual from the local authorities. As for those horrible stalls outside the AIB........

I popped down yesterday, braved the harsh elements and what a disappointment. Perhaps as a result of the poor weather some of the stall holders didnt turn up. I think there were 3 stalls outside, 2 with fruit/veg and one with olives and pesto etc. Inside the shopping centre there were 4 or 5 more stall, bread/cakes, wooden crafts, coffee and that was it. This poor excuse for a market was much smaller than the Castlebellingham one at its peak. Prices were ridiculous also one that caught my eye was the mince pies (Mr Kiplin size) they were v small and were on sale for €1 each, rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eyeofthetiger

Went down to this on Sunday too after being at it last weel, was a bit disappointed, much fewer stalls than last week :( and where was the crepe guy?! Still nice food, good coffee...mmm....

I watched an old Rick Stein in France programme the other night and the french markets put our one to shame. :(

But it's so bloody typical of food in Ireland. Why do we get second rate everything??? Look at the fruit and veg in the supermarkets... all identical, all tasteless. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

sudzs wrote:
    But it's so bloody typical of food in Ireland. Why do we get second rate everything??? Look at the fruit and veg in the supermarkets... all identical, all tasteless. :mad:
    Ah, another Corriganite. Well done!

europerson wrote:
    Ah, another Corriganite. Well done!

Different gender and half the size tho!!! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement