Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI reveal massive sponsorship deal

• 03-11-2006 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted already, from rte.ie/sport. Some good news from Mr.Delaney for once. That is an awful amout of money to give away, I'm scared. :(
    The Football Association of Ireland has announced a major sponsorship agreement with football brand, Umbro, valued at a minimum of €16 million through to 2014.

Bonus payments based on international team success could see this rise to a maximum of €21 million during the period.
    The unique agreement sees the grassroots of the game benefit greatly with Umbro set to sponsor key tournaments across different sectors of the game from 2007.

The agreement was announced by FAI chief executive John Delaney and Umbro managing director John Courtenay at a reception attended by representatives of the various strands of the domestic game.

The key aspects of the deal include:

(a) Total minimum sponsorship value of €16,350,000.

(b) Guaranteed minimum cash income of €11,550,000.

(c) Kit worth €4,800,000 to international teams and FAI development officers.

(d) Potential for up to €4,650,000 in bonuses depending on senior side's success in European Championships and World Cups.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thats the best news we've had from Delaney,,,,,in.....well......ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Nothing there for senior level football. What's going on there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

That should pay for loads of junkets to Old Trafford. My respect for Umbro just plummeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone else think its bizarre that we are probably one of the only nations to have a sponsor on international replica jerseys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Anyone else think its bizarre that we are probably one of the only nations to have a sponsor on international replica jerseys?

disgraceful that we even accept it and buy these "Eircom" jerseys. Looks terrible, ruins the national jersey.

I can't think of any other country that has a sponsor on its replicas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I notice this benefits all levels of the game bar the national league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Halfwits.

FAI merchandise should be boycotted. I'd sooner dig out my Italia 90" World cup shirt than hand over 60 notes for Eircon branded tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My god, are Umbro insane?

Giving that much money to a bunch of clowns like the FAI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I have never bought an Irish replica jersey solely because of the sponsors plastered across the front of them. I personally prefer the retro version anyway, much cheaper and you don't end up looking like a billboard for Eircom (& Opel before that) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Clearly Umbro haven't been keeping tabs with the general vibe surrounding the Irish national side and it's following since WC2002?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Looking into it Umbro already had a deal till 2010, theyve just extended it and put some extra money into everything ar the Eircom League, hardly a "Major sponsorship deal"

Advertisement