Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education Christmas study

Options
  • 03-11-2006 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

I was planning to go to the institute over christmas period for the week of study/grinds did anyone go are they worth the money? Thanks

Are the intensive study courses worth the money? 21 votes

Yes they give excellent notes and really good teachers
    0% 0 votes
    No just study at home
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I just cant believe the amount of money these places make because people freak out needlessly.

Ill give you example from when i was in school. I did honours german and ill honestly say no mess that 27 or 28 out of 30 did the institute grinds every weekend. Now the teacher was absolutely RUBBISH and actually advised people to go ther :confused: ..Now i wasnt great at the subject in any way but all i done was get the past papers and a dictionary and done some work and i got a B1 when people who spent into the thousands got less...its not worth it.

Look if you cant get the stuff in class and aren't willing to try it on your own what makes you think you'll become great just because you pay money for these notes.

It's amazing the difference in attitudes of people when they go to these places.they then claim that their results where down to the notes they give or the teachers...its not its just a better work attitude.
    Another thing when you go onto third level lecturers won't "teach" you like in secondary school..it's mostly self thought so i'd get use to this now.

But hey im not one to knock people for doing them, if it makes you work harder then fair enough but for me id rather not pay for doing something that you can do for FREE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Not worth the money but if you have it id go for it

I went in easter and found them helpful from the point of view that im a lazy ass and hadnt started studying and wasnt about to so it was basically studying on a plate for me but otherwise the stuff is easy enough to cover on your own if your 've rubbish notes and are lost in a subject then it might be worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I went in Easter last year too, and I found them helpful, particularly Geography and English. I attribute at least a grade up in each subject to the notes I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

They're good revision but if yu're having real difficulties with a subject one on one(or two/three) grinds are better

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidj_PM

Please post how you get on at the Christmas revision course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

yeah i will! planning to do biology! cause im so bad at that and english and french

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

I've done Physics class in the Institute for the past year and a half. Now I'm only there because I don't do physics in school, from my perspective they're very good but not nessicarily any better than a one on one grind you could getfor the same price, it honestly depends on the course. If you're bad at Maths or a language the chances are you'ld be far far better with a one on one grind then a group lesson as you get better in subjects like that because of practise, not sitting in a classroom listening to a teacher, regardless of how qualified they are. Other subjects, I'd say the insitute is fine for, even exceptional in some cases, I can't find fault with my physics class. But too many people hail it as the holy grail of schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 davidj_PM

Hiya,

how did you get on with the class..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

I ended up not going. I might (hopefullly) go to the Easter course. I went to the National College of Ireland revision day, i done english. It was brillant. The notes are excellent. Anyone agree??

Advertisement