Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Am I self employed or an employee?

Options
  • 03-11-2006 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Really appreciate your help on this as I cant find any information on the definition of either.

I am the owner & managing director of my own limited company. I am essentially an IT consultant and I pay myself a salary each calendar month. I pay PAYE & PRSI and have a P60 & P21 etc, the same as any other normal employee.

There is one other director but they do not work and do not get paid. I have 100% share holdings.

Can I be considered an employee by virtue of the fact that I am in the PAYE system or am I "self employed" by definition.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if you formed a limited company then you have to be an employee as the company is its own entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are both an employee and self-employed.

It depends on who is asking which you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Thanks for your replies so far.

Actually antoinolachtnai the person who is asking is the affordable housing initiative. I was drawn for a property and the requirements state that an employee must be employed for a minimum of 6 months whereas a self employed person must be self employed for a minimum of 2 years (I am only in business for a year and a half).

Do you see my predicament :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, then just say you are employed.

What's the worst that can happen? They will decide that you are not, and make you wait another couple of months. On the other hand, if you say you are self-employed you're definitely not going to get anywhere. Chances are it will take a few months for any offers to work through to you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mckers

Form a tax perspective, It has all the appearances of being self employed by virtue of the fact that you own 100% of the business and will benefit from any financial gain or suffer from any financial loss.

You don't necessarilly have to tell the Affordable Housing scheme anything, you can just plead ignorance. They probably wouldn't pick up on it anyway!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement