Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think its the PSU but something is really loud..

Options
  • 03-11-2006 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have recently bought a PC for server purposes. I began to install Ubuntu on it this evening and the computer is really loud..I think its the psu. I can't even work with it for a few minutes, I got a pain in my head. And it will be out of the question to leave it on all the time if its that loud...
    Here's the spec of the usual problem hardware:
    An ATX-3001-102 PSU
    A The Gigabyte GA-71XE AMD K7 Athlon mainboard
    An AMD 700mhz processor

The PC is fairly old and im nearly sure its the psu thats the problem. Is there anyway I can change the fan in it or the actual PSU, How much would that cost??

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Clean all the dust out of it and try to get some oil down to the shaft it usually works.

It might be your hard drive is about to die they usually kick up a racket first
    disconnect it and start up your computer if it kills the noise you know its the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Actually I was wrong..its that fan thats connected to the processor.. I removed the psu moved it as far away as possible and powered up.. Im sure its the processor fan and it really small too.. What to do?? Also How do I remove the processor ot just the fan to get a bettr look at the fan?

Can I put a fan on the case and have some ducting to where the current fan is?

Pm me with your address and i will send you a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

(assuming you mean take off the cpu fan)
    are you serious?

if so step away from that pc and bring it to someone who knows what they're doing. the reason there's a fan on top of the cpu is so it doesnt overheat, and this would happen within a matter of seconds without a heatsink/fan/watercooling directally on the cpu. also, i dont think you've ever seen a motherboard with its cpu fan off the cpu, otherwise you'd know that you have to take off the fan to get to the cpu itself, and as you suggested "take off the cpu to get a good look @ the fan? " is utter nonsense, the fan/heatsink sits ontop of the cpu, with thermal compound in between the cpu and heatsink/fan. so in no way whatsoever would you need to touch your cpu unless you were spreading thermal paste on it.

We all started somewhere I offered a replacement hsf and paste and we can guide him through the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

TonyM. wrote:
    We all started somewhere I offered a replacement hsf and paste and we can guide him through the process.

true enough :) i just didnt want to see him fry his cpu by doing something silly :p

Thanks guys..
    looks like the processor just had a large heatsink then someone else decided to screw on a fan to the heatsink(look the screws are just goin in between the fans, or is this normal)? Like my other dell has ducting over the heatsink leading to a larger fan that is on the rear of the case.. could I do something like this. Or if I just change the fan on the heatsink will that suffice??

Here's what I have..
    7.jpg
    5.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg

Oh and thanks TonyM.. and really sorry bout the size of the pics..first time putting up pics like that.Should of resized 'em oops..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Just looking at that third picture...when you were footling with the fan the heatsink has come away from the processor...make sure you reseat it before turning the PC back on.

2.jpg

I know but thanks anyway..I had it just like that for the photo. everything is back the way it was now until I get hold of a proper solution..

• Advertisement

Cool....I was getting worried.

If you get stuck for a fan give me a shout as I've got a few that would be the same size.

thanks hopeful..my question is.is that fan thats there just bust..and a simple replacement will be quieter or what?

When fans get old and tired they tend to get noisier. Sometimes just cleaning them or, as mentioned by another poster, putting a drop of oil on the shaft works wonders.
    The smaller fans can be noisy even when new though as they have to spin pretty rapidly to get enough airflow.
    Only way you are going to really know is to replace it.

this is really annoying me..I put some oil in the motor but doesn't make any difference..actually now it sounds maybe I put in too much! Anyway, I think the main problem is that the fan is screwed directly onto the heatsink without any bushings or anything and the whole heatsink is acting as a vibrator.. I really don't think that fan fan was fitted like that in the factory..

You could try making a rubber gasket for the fan to sit on...might dampen any vibrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

if that's an 8CM fan I have something you might find useful, a thermaltake gel vibration absorber. Got 2 in a pack but only needed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

just as a quick note, you might already know this, but make sure the fan is blowing down ONTO the HS, not pulling away. I made this mistake by accident before, and after 10 minutes the computer shut down, not knowing what could be wrong I stuck my hand in to feel the temp of the HS, causing a few blistered finger tips in the process.

Also like was said, you might need a good silent 8cm fan, the Sflex ones on OCuk are supposed to be the best around for silence/performance, but you'll pay for them. BTW, is it an 8cm fan? Looks maybe like a 6cm or 4cm from the pics, that or you have huge hands :D

Also check in the BIOS to see if the CPU fan is thermally controlled, the ramping up and down of the fans rpm can lead to no end of headaches. Alternatively but it on a fan controller to allow you to adjust the rpm to a level which gives you the best noise/temperature balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Yes, that would work if done properly. Make sure you keep a Heat-sink on the CPU but it doesn't matter where the fan is actually located so long as it pulls / pushes a good supply of air through the heatsink vanes. The fan is only attached to the heatsink for convenience. This actually lowers the effectiveness of the fan (as its wasting energy against the heatsink) and causes more noise than the fan would make by itself.

I must check out a few things like the operation of the fan in the BIOS and the fan is blowing on the HS (Nearly sure it is). SeanW I must invest in some of those packs where did you get them? Where do they go? Also is there anyway of fixing the fan to HS without putting the srews through the fins?
    EDIT: I can feel A cool (pun Ha Ha) project coming on to build an ultra quiet webserver that can be left in the office and not be noticed.. How much does it generally cost to make a PC pretty quiet? Case and all.. Any good links off hand that I could sift through??

Thanks lads, ye've been so helpful!!

If you want to isolate the fan just buy some rubber tap washers from your local hardware shop I use them under all my fans also cable ties are often
    better than screws when it comes to vibration .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

L31mr0d wrote:
    just as a quick note, you might already know this, but make sure the fan is blowing down ONTO the HS, not pulling away.

not true for all setups, some run cooler with air being pulled away from cpu, im actually surprised you had that severe of a problem, usually temps are pretty even no matter which way the fan is facing unless if is a radiator we are talking about

if tested this on numerous rigs, like the dual xeon rig in my sig by swapping the fans and the temps were only 3degrees cooler with the fan pulling air away from the heatsink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

gline wrote:
    not true for all setups, some run cooler with air being pulled away from cpu, im actually surprised you had that severe of a problem, usually temps are pretty even no matter which way the fan is facing unless if is a radiator we are talking about

if tested this on numerous rigs, like the dual xeon rig in my sig by swapping the fans and the temps were only 3degrees cooler with the fan pulling air away from the heatsink.

I was building a few computers for gaming in college, and the one with the fan not blowing onto the HS was the only one that would keep shutting down. When I changed the orientation of the fan it solved the problem. It was an Athlon 2200 afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

L31mr0d wrote:
    I was building a few computers for gaming in college, and the one with the fan not blowing onto the HS was the only one that would keep shutting down. When I changed the orientation of the fan it solved the problem. It was an Athlon 2200 afair.

ive tested it on socket 603 (xeon), 754 and 939 and it didnt seem to make any significant change at all, except on the xeon it was hotter when blowing the air down on the hsf as the mobo heats up aswell because you are blowing how air down onto it

I will try the cable ties and rubber washers at this weekend and see how I get on.. In the long run I will probably figure out ducting and a larger fan on the side of the case..

Advertisement