Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit free to good home only

Options
  • 03-11-2006 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Due to the arrival of our new pup a newfoundland :rolleyes: we need to let our rabbit go as the Newfoundland seems to have an appetite for him and is constantly trying to get to him.

He is black and white and about a year old. He is also house trained and comes with a house/run.

Please reply only if you can provide him with a good home and you can collect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I guess the newfoundland will be up here for rehoming too when something better comes along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

A pet is for life no matter what type of animal it is they are not disposable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Hi,

Due to the arrival of our new pup a newfoundland :rolleyes: we need to let our rabbit go.He is black and white and about a year old.

In other words "we got bored with the rabbit now we have a dog". Rabbit is a year old eh? Well at least the dog can rest assured he's with you for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Doesn't a dog get the flick when a baby comes?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hang on a second here, the dog is trying to eat the rabbit! now if you want me to blood the dog with a rabbit thats fine but I don't want to end up in court for animal cruelity. For your information the dog is not the only animal we have the other animals are cats which by the way are rescue cats which have been with us for approx 5 years, don't see them up here. I see another advert on here re rehoming a ferret don't see many of you commenting on that.

Now if you don't mind please don't judge us for doing the right thing when none of you have any idea about us and all the fundraising work we do for animal charitys.

I'm sorry but none of you have any right to critisise us, but there again maybe you all want to see the rabbit dead.

Also if you had read the original post I did say that it would only go to a good home and this is true, we will vet any person that requests the rabbit.

You know sometimes you have to make difficult decisions in life and this is one of them. We have done this for the welfare of the rabbit, but I guess none of you know it all's would understand that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

perhaps you should of explained that in your first post the situation. You did leave it to peoples interpretation Hope you get a good home

golden wrote:
    perhaps you should of explained that in your first post the situation. You did leave it to peoples interpretation Hope you get a good home

Fair point Golden just got a bit p****d off there with some of the comments/judgements:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Why is the dog getting priority over the rabbit?
    Rehome the dog instead rabbits are no less important than dogs.
    If you have to home the rabbit then please make sure the rabbit is spayed/neutered and vaccinated (if not already) and also that the home is checked out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭wba88

interested! where are u? my sis and bf got a rabbit a month ago from a pet shop and a week or so later it was ill they took it too the vet and it had to be put down (through no fault of their own) the vet said it had been sick for a while. They were upset so I will ask them if they are interested, i know they were looking for another one.

Why is the dog getting priority over the rabbit?
    Rehome the dog instead rabbits are no less important than dogs.
    If you have to home the rabbit then please make sure the rabbit is spayed/neutered and vaccinated (if not already) and also that the home is checked out first.

If you read my last post I did state that any prospective home would be vetted by us. Please read it properly before you critisise. The rabbit is vaccinated. PLEASE MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

• Advertisement

wba88 wrote:
    interested! where are u? my sis and bf got a rabbit a month ago from a pet shop and a week or so later it was ill they took it too the vet and it had to be put down (through no fault of their own) the vet said it had been sick for a while. They were upset so I will ask them if they are interested, i know they were looking for another one.

I am in Lucan, can you please give me details as to where you plan to house the rabbit. Will it be left in the garden all the time as it is used to coming into the house alot and it likes human contact. The rabbit has all it's vaccinations but as of yet has not been spayed. If you want to pm me as no doubt I have probably said something wrong again but I'm sure the know it alls will let me know any second now.

ok ill pm u in the next few hours when i talk to my sis and ask her about it. thanx for the quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mind my own buisness (it's a public board..not everyone knows about the fact rabbits need to be vaccinated and I mention it in any post about rabbits and will continue to do so. If some people know about it already all the better but in the off chance that someone may not at least I have mentioned it and they will think about getting it done.

And here's some more..there are 2 types of vaccinations VHD and Myxomatosis just in case anyone with rabbits has vaccinated against one and not the other. Both are deadly diseases.
    Plus other people will be reading the post and may read about vaccinations and it may remind them to have their own rabbit done.
    Apologies for mentioning the home check when you have mentioned the home being vetted.

Btw the rabbit has been called a him and a her which one is it, being a year old the rabbit should of been done around 6 months and needs to be neutered/spayed before 3 years ideally. I mention this a lot in any post about rabbits that I write too in the hope it will prevent accidental litters so don't take it too personal.

Mind my own buisness (it's a public board..not everyone knows about the fact rabbits need to be vaccinated and I mention it in any post about rabbits and will continue to do so. If some people know about it already all the better but in the off chance that someone may not at least I have mentioned it and they will think about getting it done.

And here's some more..there are 2 types of vaccinations VHD and Myxomatosis just in case anyone with rabbits has vaccinated against one and not the other. Both are deadly diseases.
    Plus other people will be reading the post and may read about vaccinations and it may remind them to have their own rabbit done.
    Apologies for mentioning the home check when you have mentioned the home being vetted.

Btw the rabbit has been called a him and a her which one is it, being a year old the rabbit should of been done around 6 months and needs to be neutered/spayed before 3 years ideally. I mention this a lot in any post about rabbits that I write too in the hope it will prevent accidental litters so don't take it too personal.

Listen, if you read the previous posts by me there is no mention by me that the rabbitis a girl. I also stated the rabbit has ALL it's vacination both VHD and Myxomatosis and has a vets card to back that up. Ok he has not been spayed yet but according to you he has still two years to get it done.

So basically, you post on a public board because you need to get rid of your rabbit because the new puppy suddenly has priority. Training the puppy hasn't seemed to occur to you (maybe that would be too much effort?). I have had 4 rabbits and all lived in harmony with our cats, I realise dogs are different to cats but it shows different species can get along. But in your case the rabbit has to go. Surely it occurred to you before you got the puppy that he may have never seen a rabbit before and might want to know what it is? You say it would be cruel to keep the rabbit in case the dog got him, this didn't bother you before you got the dog. You seem to want us to believe that you really are a kindhearted chap who would hate for this dog to attack his rabbit, it's YOUR dog that YOU decided to get. It's not as if some random dog ran into your garden one day out of nowhere and savaged the rabbit (as happened to my cat).

Anyone who questions you is immediatly told to mind their own business.
    What about when someone comes to see the rabbit, if they ask any questions are they going to be told to mind their own business too?

And you don't seem to realise this but the whole idea of posting in a public forum is that people read your post and write back to it, I'm sure it inconveniences you when people don't automatically say "Oh great I'll take the bunny" and question you instead, but not everyone is going to say what you want them to. Anyone asking you questions is only doing so for the rabbit's sake. If you genuinely cared about the rabbit and really were rehoming him for the right reasons then why are you so defensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ahem.
    Please reply only if you can provide him with a good home and you can collect.

If those who posted think there is a problem with the issue here, start a new thread on it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Nala wrote:
    So basically, you post on a public board because you need to get rid of your rabbit because the new puppy suddenly has priority. Training the puppy hasn't seemed to occur to you

You obviously have never owned a rabbit. I had rabbits when I was younger and at one point while my rabbit was out in the garden in his run, two cats came into our garden and scared the sh*t out of it. Luckily my mother saw this and scared them off, but a week or two later another cat came into the garden and was sniffing around the rabbit run, my rabbit had a heart attack and died. He was vaccinated and had been neutered, and the vet said he was very healthy just a few months beforehand.

My point is, if the dog has attacked the rabbit before, the poor rabbit is terrified of the dog and even if they train the dog, it'll still be terrified of the dog!

Also, training a dog is not an overnight thing.

Given the highly strung nature rabbits have, I think separating them by rehoming one is the answer although I personally would keep the rabbit, it seems unfair to get rid of it when it has been in the home a year and done nothing wrong!

I have to say I find the people who post regularly on the pets forum sound like a bunch of mental animal rights activists, it's disgraceful that people with genuine questions about their pets, or people who have been misinformed, are immediately pounced upon by people on here, ready to scold them and tell them they aren't fit to own a pet.

eth0_ wrote:
    You obviously have never owned a rabbit.

Was the bit where I said "I've had 4 rabbits" not clear enough or something?

And we have always had cats at the same time as rabbits and they always got along, the past 3 rabbits all lived at least 7 years and were always healthy. And in case you want to know what happened to the 4th rabbit, he is still alive and not in the least bit frightened of cats. If he is out grazing and sees a cat he just ignores it.

Look people, I am not going to try and justify my decision to let the rabbit go on here to people that don't even know me or my wife. I did state in one post that it has been a very difficult desicion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Ruu wrote:
    Ahem.

If those who posted think there is a problem with the issue here, start a new thread on it. Thanks.

Exactly. Thanks Ruu.

Stop the bickering, if you want to discuss this further start an appropriate thread. No more bickering will be tolerated in this thread and will result in an immediate ban. Dont test my patience on this one, it is non-existent.

B

And PS: While Im semi-absent, Ruu and hullabaloo are to be treated (and listened to) as mods of this forum.

• Advertisement

@the demo place: just talked to them and they are not getting one just yet (prob next year) so sry i couldnt give him a good home but thanx anyway.

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jessicaR

Hi, has the rabbit been rehomed yet? Would you like any further help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

This thread is from 3 years ago...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement