Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV DNS Servers Down?

Options
  • 03-11-2006 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else here on UTV having trouble with the dns servers as of about 15mins ago? I'm on the UTV connection now but it will not resolve any URLs :( having to go via a vpn.

I've rebooted the modem and the connection as well as my wrt54gs.

First outage yet :(
    Opti

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

Yeah had the same problem and set DNS through router settings to eircoms' and it's working now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yea the DNS is down. I used my works DNS to get access first.

But if you want to fix and use the UTV other DNS servers do the following.

1. Right click "My Network Places" and select properties.

2. Right click the network port being used and select properties.

3. Find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" on the list and double click it.

4. Click the Advanced button.

5. Click DNS tab.

6. Click the top add button and add the following IP addresses.

7. Click ok for everything until your back.

If you want set it back to normal, repeat steps 1-3 then click "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

using 194.46.8.3 right now but drnuk too :) workin g a the same cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 focusman

cheers guys for posting about this problem on here, managed to get online via a VPN as well, am using the DNS entries mentioned above and am back on properly now.

Its very poor form that UTV have no 24 hour support or even a message on their website to say they are experiencing problems.

Anyway, cheers again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Same here last night I tried to hit the net at 10.30 ish and missed it!

This morning at 09.30 the same thing, ran diagnositics on the modem which passed the tests. Anyway its suddenely back.

Off to utv.support for explaination. :mad:

Mike.

ps must write down the alternative DNS

• Advertisement

or just add it as your secondary DNS on your pc or if you have a router connected to the modem like i did.

I'm not very techie so do I just put the alt DNS in the second box in this image?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/LANset-upDNS.jpg

Mike.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

This is a regular UTV problem. About 2 years ago the DNS server starting crapping out for 10 mins every hour and they flat out denied that there was a problem. They eventually fixed it but it seemed to re-occur every now an dthen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm DNS problems and UTV are nothing new but I never experienced any problems last night, strange?

mike65 wrote:
    I'm not very techie so do I just put the alt DNS in the second box in this image?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mike65/LANset-upDNS.jpg

Mike.

Yeah just put one of the backups in as the secondary dns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Thanks for those DNS.. Also having trouble with UTV since friday then it was back up on Sat and went down again today :rolleyes:

Cheers optiplexgx270 I put alt DNS in as Primary and secondary and can access UTV POP for the first time today

Mike.

Didn't notice them go down today prob cos of the secondary DNS :)

On the plus side of this when it goes down the speed goes up due to the pings going down and pings are excellent with all the people that dont know about dns servers not knowing what to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I just changed my DNS's to OpenDNS, no more worries

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

how does this open dns stuff work anyway..like what does it do to fix the internet..its not going to be cost more is it..because like are we not conecting to someone elses server??

Advertisement