Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here it comes.....8800gtx

Options
  • 03-11-2006 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4812
    And its realy impresive:

Futuremark 3DMark06

Radeon X1950 XTX GeForce 8800GTX

Score

Kicking off the benchmarking festivities is 3DMark06. NVIDIA’s GeForce 8800GTX scores 59% higher than ATI’s current flagship. This isn’t too surprising as the GeForce 8800GTX has plenty of power.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Wow thats a really great card!

Not because it pwns the ATI, but because it pwns the ATI and it only uses slightly more power.....

Any prices?

Damn urge to upgrade!! Must...Resist... :p

P.s I think its to big for my case! it would hit the HDD cage i think : /

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Not really that impressive when you consider a GX2 can get the same 3dmark06 for less money than the 8800GTX. 06 is a total system workout and if you leave out the Quad core intel chip you'll only get around 10k which is already achieveable with current dual card systems and a core 2 duo. I'll wait til R600 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I don't want to turn this into the thread that is going on in OcUK, but those 8800GTX scores are on a stock GTX. Pretty soon we will be able to overclock the G80's. Plus going by past history, performance will pick up big time once newer drivers are released. In addition to DX10 support, it has lots of other improvements - it can HDR+AA properly now, an AS filtering is implemented differently so no more shimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

8800gtx-500£ and its bottom price.
    This product will be in stock on November 8th in OcUk.No pre-orders............
    Price............
    GTS is around current GX2 pricing from OcUK.
    GTX is more expensive then current GX2 pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im not gonna bother with it tbh. a x1959xtx will be plenty for me. Especially as they have just dropped in price. And will fall more in a few weeks :)

• Advertisement

OcUK say they got a lot more G80's in then expected and might be able to charge less then 500 quid. I reckon around 450 quid on launch day.

Still not worth it though. Its a over powered card, 7900/1950's are fine for the moment. There are not any dx10 games out, and wont be for a while, SO im gonna hold off for second or third generation cards.

Most people are buying these not for directx 10 but the fact it is the single fastest card out (93% faster then an X1950XT-Xt according to Dailytech) and it has new features which result in improved image quality, no more shimmering, 16x levels of aa only usable before in sli, and the ability to do hdr+aa. Plus it uses only slightly more power then a 1950XT-X under load. Might be a problem fitting it in your case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

I want it NOW!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Flaccus wrote:
    ... 16x levels of aa only usable before in sli...
    That right there says to me nvidia have basically done sli on one pcb board and on one chip. The architecture is the same just more shaders, pipes and memory. Hopefully the R600 will be a revolution like the R300 was. Having said that, it's still very tempting for those who love cutting edge technology. :)

• Advertisement

2 G80's would probably be overkill but very tempting :) Probably have lots of sli issues to deal with seeing as the g80 uses a new form of sli. Up to 3 g80's can be used in a 680i mobo if you believe what people are saying !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

2x 8800gtx's coming my way soon :p

now for the 680i mobo to be released ;)

Assuming you can order them before they sell out that is :)

Flaccus wrote:
    Assuming you can order them before they sell out that is :)

this is true, i need to get it all this week or next week :(

Sounds like you will have the ultimate gaming rig allright.

Do you even have a budget ;)

Flaccus wrote:
    Sounds like you will have the ultimate gaming rig allright.

Do you even have a budget ;)

emm, well when the money runs out it runs out :P thats my budget, hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

haha..you love your pc modding gline..would love to have your work in progress rig.. :D

do you build/mod computers for a living ??

IgsTer wrote:
    haha..you love your pc modding gline..would love to have your work in progress rig.. :D

do you build/mod computers for a living ??

i wish :(
    more just an expensive "hobby"

i dont think there is any money to be made in selling modded pcs as the people that would buy them can do them themselves :D

I snub your in progress rig, If your not getting a QX6700 its crap

:p

Plus its time to raise the bar and go 4gb now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

why 4gb,

and he got the top 2 core cpu under phase 2 which is unreal!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Did you not see the :p andy ?

Shame on you.

Id like 2 x 8800gtx too, but i dont think i can afford it. unless i drop the monitor And all the hdds, and just use some of what i have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

anti wrote:

Id like 2 x 8800gtx too, but i dont think i can afford it. unless i drop the monitor And all the hdds, and just use some of what i have here.

You would need a giant psu for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm thinking of maybe getting a GeForce 8 in about 6 months or so when the prices come down, preferably a lot, or maybe getting a GeForce 7 at a reduced price at that time.

I have a Seasonic S12 430W power supply. Would that suffice for a single GeForce 8? (I also have a S939 processor, 2 HD, 2 DVDRW, floopy and a small amount of Mod gear).

anti wrote:
    If your not getting a QX6700 its crap

tbh i wouldnt be bothered, nothing at the moment will use all cores except possibly plugins for some programs enabling it, but a lot of games dont even make use of 2 cores yet, even a phase cooled single core machine is fine at the moment

i just hope i get decent oc's out of this cpu and that the new 680i mobos dont dissappoint :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

SeanW wrote:
    I have a Seasonic S12 430W power supply. Would that suffice for a single GeForce 8? (I also have a S939 processor, 2 HD, 2 DVDRW, floopy and a small amount of Mod gear).

I'd doubt it, it'll do a 7 series card though. You see you'll need a lot of power for these, i believe you need 2 PCI-E power connecters

Depends on the rails on the 12v. Nvidia say 450w, but that is a fully loaded system and the G80 only uses slightly more power then a 1950xt-x. Wouln't hurt ot upgrade to a 600w M12.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It draws too much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

thanks. will be a GeForce 7 or Radeon for me when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

haha..alright i getya man..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Advertisement