Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here it comes.....8800gtx

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

wow.........

the gts seems pritty **** for 500e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

dammit still no sign of the new mobos or 8800's on overclockers yet, im ready with credit card in hand to get a new mobo :D, gfx will have to wait until komplett refund me on the stuff i sent back under cooling off terms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

If you have been following the forums - the NDA lifts at 2pm today.
    Gibbo said they will have BFG 8800's in stock - enough for everyone. BFG have great tech support so would be happy enough with that brand. All the cards are being fabbed by Asus this time round anyway!

The motherboards will more then likely be Evga only and possibly BFG. Personally if I intended going down the 680i route I might hold off for a few more mainstream players like Asus, Abit, DFI etc... but that could be next year. The 680i is supposed to be a great overclocker but no one has a clue really as the nda doesn't lift until 2pm for that either. And the sli on the 680i is so new it's bound to have a few glitches.

I supppose some reviews will get leaked before 2pm today.

Looks like my friend in the US let me down and no G80 for me on launch day unless OcUK do what Ebuyer and some other sites are doing and charge 400 and not 500 quid. Problem is OcUK are one of the few with stock.

Also - bear in mind that Nvidia were supposed to have replaced a resistor at the last minute on all stock sent out. OcUK say all their BFG stock had the fix done, so it's probably safe to buy from them.

nah i havent been following ocuk forums.

il have to buy one of the mobos today, not gonna hold out until next year.. too far away :p hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

gline wrote:
    dammit still no sign of the new mobos or 8800's on overclockers yet, im ready with credit card in hand to get a new mobo :D, gfx will have to wait until komplett refund me on the stuff i sent back under cooling off terms
    2pm GMT is the official launch time.
    Keep an eye on Komplett too, as OcUK will probably be overcharging by a lot. The only thing more sickening than Gibbo's price-gouging tactics is the number of muppets who actually believe his spiel, and constantly praise him :rolleyes:

EDIT\
    Flaccus wrote:
    Problem is OcUK are one of the few with stock
    Where did you hear that?

• Advertisement

I agree and say something they don't like and you earn a holiday.
    Hopefully he will not gouge this time round.

Flaccus wrote:
    I agree and say something they don't like and you earn a holiday.
    Hopefully he will not gouge this time round.
    Now that would be a first! :) His job is to create sales at highest margins, usually by making people pre-order on the premise that ONLY OcUK will have stock, and that it will be sold out on day one.

Sir Random wrote:
    2pm GMT is the official launch time.
    Keep an eye on Komplett too, as OcUK will probably be overcharging by a lot. The only thing more sickening than Gibbo's price-gouging tactics is the number of muppets who actually believe his spiel, and constantly praise him :rolleyes:

EDIT\

Where did you hear that?

Well OcUK claim to have got several hundred in already, and most places I emailed said they were only getting a handful in. So for all intensive purposes it is going to be difficult to get one elsewhere as they will probably sell out quickly in smaller etailors due to limited stock. That is assuming you want one on launch day and do not want to wait. Going by past history (launch day of 7800gtx) the same thing happened. OcUK had stock. Very few other places did. This may all change now as Nvidia are supposed to have rushed a third shipment to etailors if you believe the Inquirer.

Sir Random wrote:
    Now that would be a first! :) His job is to create sales at highest margins, usually by making people pre-order on the premise that ONLY OcUK will have stock, and that it will be sold out on day one.

He also said they may be able to drop the price on launch day from the expected 500 quid due to receiving more stock then initially expected. He also said that they will have hundreds and plenty to go around for everyone. He never said it would be sold out on day one. And it's a hard launch so there are no preorders where they take your money in advance. Plus they do have stock. Lots of places don't.

Lol, how can he drop prices when he hasn't given an actual price? That's just more tactics (making people think they're getting something cheaper than it could have been).

He did the same with Conroe, but Komplett had the E6600 for €50 cheaper on the same day.

• Advertisement

If you read the forums on OcUK he said the price would be 150 quid more then the GX2 - which means 500 quid. So he did give the price. Indirectly.

At that point people were miffed including myself. The Inquirer wrote an article about UK pricing, esp. OcUK. Then when more stock arrived he said he expected the price to be cheaper. Next thing you know we see Etailers in the UK taking preorders around the 400 quid mark (Ebuyer). So we can expect OcUK to be 400-450 quid. Closer to 450 I would say as they have a rep. for being more expensive.

Whether you buy from them will depend if you want to pay more and have the card in a few days, are lucky enough to find another etailor with stock which will probably be cheaper, know someone in the US who can pick one up for you, or just wait for a large etailor like Komplett to get it into stock. Going by past history Komplett will not have stock on launch day. They did not for for the 7800GTX, 1900XT-X or 7800GTX-512.

All this price gouging was discussed in this thread sometime ago. The choice is up to you whether to buy from OcUK.

Sir Random wrote:
    Keep an eye on Komplett too, as OcUK will probably be overcharging by a lot.

komplett said they wont have the mobos today or the 8800gtx's :(

we just have to wait and see how much he will charge, id say 500 tbh, there is nothing stopping him from charging ridiculous prices as he knows people will buy it at that

Well I won't pay 500. 400 is what they should be charging. My money is on somewhere between 420-450. And that is the general sentiment on their forums too.

The 680i boards will probably be north of 200 quid I reckon.

We will know in a little over 3 hours. But I will be in a meeting :(

Flaccus wrote:
    The 680i boards will probably be north of 200 quid I reckon.

:(

i hope they arent too pricey :(

Launch is put back until 7pm. So you can stop chomping at the bit :)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17649621

Flaccus wrote:
    Launch is put back until 7pm. So you can stop chomping at the bit :)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17649621

damn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

They're online now

Well - I was right on the 680i mobo - over 200 quid.
    And wrong on the G80 - serious gouging at almost 480 !!

Flaccus wrote:
    Well - I was right on the 680i mobo - over 200 quid.
    And wrong on the G80 - serious gouging at almost 480 !!

well 487 for a gtx, i was nearly right :)

• Advertisement

mobo ordered

So did you buy ?

Between nearly 500 quid for the G80 and a dead Quad Core I am having a ball of a time :(

Am hoping my mate in the US will come through for me. He is going shopping tommorrow downtown in LA . Hopefully won't be too late and some store will have them in stock.

The 680i mobos are pricey. I think I will hold off and keep my Bad Axe until I can actually afford a 2nd G80. Nvidia have traditionally run very hot too. Something I don't need.

£446 (incl VAT) is the best price I've seen for the GTX so far, and £199 for the eVGA mobo (£206 incl delivery).
    I think I'll wait a week and see what's available then.

http://www.scan.co.uk/

Are Scan ok to order from ? Lots of bad press on another thread in this forum about them. I ordered from them 5 years ago and they sent me the oem cpu but charged me retail, and didn't even bother sending me a heatsink. Plus I got charged twice for delivery. Once to Dublin and once to Limerick. Never ordered from them again.

That price on OcUK is surprising. After all the talk about extra stock and other UK sites posting preorder prices just over 400, I thought they would have more sense. They said they have hundreds in stock. Can't see them selling out at the price.

Gline - let me know how the motherboard works out. Still have seen no reviews and would be very reluctant myself to try an unproven board. But I guess you are after extreme overclocking which is what it is reputed to be good at. That heatsink/heatpipe on it sure looks huge.

<edit>Looks like Scan have the Leadtek in stock at 469 inc. VAT. They are out of the EVGA board though.</edit>

Jeez, Scan are already sold out of the £446 GTX's and all ASUS GTX/GTS boards, and the Leadtek GTS boards.
    They're selling fast!

Dabs have the XFX 8800GTX at £425 (incl). That's more like it! :D

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=4BG0
    XFX cautions, only he who is willing to tuck his head between his knees and
    kiss it goodbye will be ready for this one.

Nice one. Core clock speed seems 5mhz off though :D

Even better, they have the Inno3D GTX for £399 (incl) :eek:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4BD5

Stock due on Friday, but worth waiting for.

woo hoo :D

Dear Mr gline, Your Order has been packed and is in the process of being shipped.
    Goods Shipped: £179.99 x 1 - EVGA nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-000-EA)

il wait until komplett refund me for the 2x 7950 gx2's and 150gig raptor and then il decide on what brand/how many 8800gtx's to get :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully you get it on Friday. Are you ready to start you build once you have it ?

Advertisement