Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here it comes.....8800gtx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

awhir wrote:
    think u need a 16x lane to run 1 of theres babys

but can you get s939 mobos with a PCIe dedicated 16x lane? Or do they always split them? If you can, will a 8800GTX work with it, just at dx9 levels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

They usually all have a dedicated 16x lane unless you split the lanes in the bios. If there is no option in the bios, then you can take it that it is a 16x lane. This has been around for ages, and you can see on the maufacturers sites specs too. It was only when the likes of the Asus A8N32-sli 939 mobo came out that people started talking about true dual 16x lanes. At a very minimum mobos have 1 dedicated 16x lane. Unless you buy something pants. Your board is fine by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

gline wrote:
    lol

just put in an order for 2x xfx 8800gtx's from komplett, they should be in stock soon :D

g80 sli here i come :p
    I notice Komplett have sold 8 of the XFX GTXs and 2 GTS, but nobody has ordered any of the cheaper Gainwards :)

Also, at least 3 of the 8 are definitely for Ireland (2x gline, 1x me) so that's 40% of the units sold to UK, IE, BE, NL, DE and AT customers :D.

Curious...How did you work out they sold 8 ? Ah..you know the people who ordered ?

Flaccus wrote:
    Curious...How did you work out they sold 8 ? Ah..you know the people who ordered ?
    The Komplett database is dynamic, so you can always see exactly how many items are in stock/expected. (the total drops every time one is bought/ordered).
    There were 50 items 'expected' when the site updated with the 8800 cards this morning, now there are 42.

The gainward GTX and GTS are still at 50, the XFX GTS is at 48 (2 ordered)

• Advertisement

Heh..thanks..good to know. So you know you will get a card by looking at those stock levels. Unlike OcUK where it's a crapshoot.

Exactly! :D

I remember a lot of people ordered X800s (or X1800s, not sure) from OcUK when they only actually had 2 in stock. Only the first 2 got cards, the rest had to wait weeks for re-stock. This happened with a few brands, because stock was only arriving in 2's and 3's. Some people waited months, before cancelling or switching to a different brand :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Flaccus wrote:
    They usually all have a dedicated 16x lane unless you split the lanes in the bios. If there is no option in the bios, then you can take it that it is a 16x lane. This has been around for ages, and you can see on the maufacturers sites specs too. It was only when the likes of the Asus A8N32-sli 939 mobo came out that people started talking about true dual 16x lanes. At a very minimum mobos have 1 dedicated 16x lane. Unless you buy something pants. Your board is fine by the way.

Ok thats cool to know about my mobo. Now my other question is, will it run a DX10 8800GTX? Can DX9 mobos run DX10 vgas?

Yes, you don't need a special mobo for DX10. Any mobo with a PCI-E x16 slot can take an 8800GTX card, and will run it in DX10 mode once Vista is installed. Under XP, it'll just be the fastest DX9.0 card available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Sir Random wrote:
    I notice Komplett have sold 8 of the XFX GTXs and 2 GTS, but nobody has ordered any of the cheaper Gainwards :)

Also, at least 3 of the 8 are definitely for Ireland (2x gline, 1x me) so that's 40% of the units sold to UK, IE, BE, NL, DE and AT customers :D.

any idea when these will ship??

nice review here of the xfx 8800gtx http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7184&page=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Flaccus wrote:
    Did you ask them to stick an arbitrary value on the box as you don't want to be caught for import duty :eek:

luckily I have soemone coming from the states next week, and they are bringing it with them, got it shipped to them, so fingers crossed

gline wrote:
    any idea when these will ship??

nice review here of the xfx 8800gtx http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7184&page=1
    No idea. I'm hoping they'll be in stock today, as there's no shortage in supply of chips from nVidia (apart from that recall).
    Can't wait to get overclocking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Bit the bullet and bought the e6600, evga 680i and some ddr2 800. Christmas come early. :)

Anyone want x2 3800+ oced, dfi ultra-d, x1900xt and 2gb of 250ddr? :D

Bit the bullet and bought the e6600, evga 680i and some ddr2 800. Christmas come early. :)

good man yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

asus_graphs.gif

custom pc benchies

Gobbles Oblivion up, not a huge upgrade for a 7950 GX2 unless i was to get 2 of em though

Nice one, you definitely won't regret it! :D

It seems that single core Athlons don't do these cards justice:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17650344

Biggest plus is you can play most games at 1920 with 16xAA which you can't do with GX2 or quad GX2. And that is with a single G80. Oblivion runs really fast with all sliders maxed out with 4xAA. Very impressive.

Selling stuff like mad to get my 2nd G80. First one isn't even here yet :)

Hoping the 700w Seasonic will cut the mustard. Looking good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Some reports state a 800W is needed for 8800gtx in sli. And that some houses older then 25 years old might not be able to handle the ammount of current drawn from a single socket that a sli 8800gtx system will require.

Newbuild houses ftw \0/

The psu's that need 800w are ones with weak 12v rails or ones that cannot crossload.

If you have a 700w psu with a very strong 12v rail you should be ok. That's according to the top psu expert on the net.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271&page=6

One guy on this thread has same psu as me and is getting his G80's on Monday, so will follow this thread.

Also, the G80 only consumes an extra 10w over 1900xt-x under load and seeing as I only run 1 hdd, 1 optical, soundcard, and usb key,mouse,wifi-dongle I reckon I will be ok. Afterall I don't see how an extra 20w overall could kill the Seasonic 700w which is sli and xfire certified.

97.02:8800 drivers:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1513

Just something to do while waiting for your cards... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭SeanW

Holy crap, what on Earth is anyone going to do with 2 of those monsters in SLi?

Run benchmarks and use Excel I expect.

Or just increase their epenis size.

New rig ordered now, All parts will be here on monday, total cost .......2700£

Decided to go for 8800gts x 2. Dunno if this is a wild choice, but thats what the cooling off period is for. to test :p

Well all parts but the case. Still cant decide on this, Was gonna be a mozart tx, But its just to big, And cant really find owt much else i really like that has great airflow and design. Any ideas ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

cm stacker 830 are pretty big with great cooling, nine case fans.

wots the spec of your new rig?

damn komplett still dont have them in stock :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

gline wrote:
    damn komplett still dont have them in stock :(

mabey monday

Mine is still in transit from dabs, just left for international transportation, so guess that means, it's on a ship or plane making it's way over here. Fingers crossed for Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

I need a job fast. *Nerdgasm.

• Advertisement

Finished reading the vr-zone review of the 8800gtx http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=4216 probably the best review on the net and makes a mockery of Hardocp's apples vs oranges vs other fruit benches. I mean whose to say what the best playable settings are for them? Anyways, it's less theorectical than anandtech, (anandtech is quite a good review) but better overall, showing real world gaming benefits of buying one. Shamino benched BF2142 using real world techniques again, this time doing it manually! 8800GTX is 89% faster than a GX2 @1600x1200 and 16AF 4AA. I never really used any AA before cos of the huge monitor, but the G80 makes this a reality!

Call of Duty 2 same settings 97% faster than x1950xtx (GDDR 4 included hehe :D )
    FEAR same settings 102% faster than x1950xtx
    HL2 Episode 1 same settings 88% faster than GX2
    Company of Heroes similar settings 204% faster than GX2 & 173% faster than x1950xtx
    Wowwow weewaa!!:eek: This card is going to absolutely rock for gaming!!

Also Shamino tested Core 2 Duo vs Quad Core, basically for 3dmark06 you will gain at least 1000 extra score, but for gaming (which is really what it's all about) makes no difference. It won't till games become fully threaded for multicore processors. Interesting article on anandtech about that actually. http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2868 :)

Advertisement