Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here it comes.....8800gtx

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Finished reading the vr-zone review of the 8800gtx http://sg.vr-zone.com/?i=4216 probably the best review on the net and makes a mockery of Hardocp's apples vs oranges vs other fruit benches. I mean whose to say what the best playable settings are for them? Anyways, it's less theorectical than anandtech, (anandtech is quite a good review) but better overall, showing real world gaming benefits of buying one. Shamino benched BF2142 using real world techniques again, this time doing it manually! 8800GTX is 89% faster than a GX2 @1600x1200 and 16AF 4AA. I never really used any AA before cos of the huge monitor, but the G80 makes this a reality!

Its a bit of an unfair review, DX9 cards were never recognised to support 16 Anistropic Filtering and all the tests include it. If AF was set to 8 the results would be very different, i know my GX2 cant support 16 AF on Quake 4.

Impressive results none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Psycopat wrote:
    Its a bit of an unfair review, DX9 cards were never recognised to support 16 Anistropic Filtering and all the tests include it. If AF was set to 8 the results would be very different, i know my GX2 cant support 16 AF on Quake 4.

Impressive results none the less.
    Do you mean 16 antialiasing or anisotropic filtering? because 16 AF is used plenty in DX9 and has been for a long time. The current hardware has reduced what used to be a performance costly feature into almost free image quality. http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=843&pageID=1801

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

And if you mean 16x AA, this has been around in sli for some time on nvidia cards, and now is available on the G80.

Do you mean 16 antialiasing

:eek: heavens no.

I just thought if a 7950GX2, 2gb RAM, 2.7 GHZ Opteron, 150 GB Raptor couldnt handle quake 4 on 16 AF not much else could.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

yeah the point pats trying to make is that by applying 16 AA on the 7950 it only runs on one core as it cannot run both cores at that level of AA.

even so, the 8800 trampled on the other two.

i want one..... or two.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Psycopat wrote:
    :eek: heavens no.

I just thought if a 7950GX2, 2gb RAM, 2.7 GHZ Opteron, 150 GB Raptor couldnt handle quake 4 on 16 AF not much else could.....
    It should be able to handle it easily, else it could be a bug.

@Kamikaze - he meant AF and 16AA theorectically should work on the GX2 again I would put it down to a bug, or just bad drivers.

It's been a long time since I had a nvidia card in my main rig, hopefully the drivers will be as smooth as ati's on the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am seriously considering picking up this card alright. Am in two minds as to whether I need/should update my CPU at the same time. Am considering leaving it as it is and then moving to Quad core once the processers are released to the mainstream.

I have read a number of articles about Valve's recent hardware day but there is literally no info regarding its implementation in CS:S. I know that all the Half Life 2 based games use the same engine but the Anandtech article seems to imply that the multi threaded updates will be released in a number of phases across different titles.

The multi threaded benchmarks for the source ending show what is basically a 100% increase when moving from single core to dual core. The peformance jump offered by going to quad core offers a similar performance boost and it is this reason I am considering holding off update my CPU.

Hmmm decisions decisions.

Take note that at 16xS AA the GX2 can only run single GPU.

he may have meant AF but that was a misunderstanding on his part.

as it stands he was making a point about how the reviewers ran some tests with 16 AA when the GX2 could not run both cores at this level of anti-aliasing.

16 AF has been around for a good while, and makes little or no difference to fps imo.

Half the benchmarks going about are pretty bent. HardOCP and Bit-Tech are two of my fav tech sites in general but they spout some bull**** sometimes. Whatever happened to the ould fashioned method of 20 CPUs, 10 GPUs and benchmarking then at 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 at low, medium and high graphic settings.

Whatever happened to the ould fashioned method of 20 CPUs, 10 GPUs and benchmarking then at 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 at low, medium and high graphic settings.

21 benchmarks per game??

• Advertisement

Rofl you know what I mean but yes basically. Certainly more comprehensive than the best new GPU paired with the best processor on the market at the highest resolution know to man.

Tomshardware may be completely full of **** but you gotta respect this sort of coverage:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html

KamiKazi wrote:
    he may have meant AF but that was a misunderstanding on his part.

No i meant AA just got confuzled between em coz source only supports 4 AA

16 AA is unplayable on my 7950 in quake 4

Tomshardware may be completely full of **** but you gotta respect this sort of coverage:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html

meh they probly just had a guess at all of em and said to themselves
    Ya the 7950GX2 is gona be alot slower at Prey than the 7900GT, lets say ummmm 20 frames?

;)

i know you meant AA pat....

gline wrote:
    any idea when these will ship??

nice review here of the xfx 8800gtx http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7184&page=1

Gline - sound doesn't work on the 680i mobo with sli enabled !! Major cracking noise / interference. Onboard and X-Fi.

Iceman / DaveHutchinson posted on OcUK forums and EVGA forums. Am reconsidering sli over this. (and lack of funds :)

http://evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21071

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

This is why i only bought one. WIll wait for the bugs to be sorted out before i invest in another.

Smart move.

Let me know how you get on fitting the Tuniq. The EVGA has some caps on the back which interfere with the backplate :(

It should hopefully fit. If not i have a freezer 64pro anyway. I can always flat mount a few caps anyway. Not a big deal really.

Are you planning to sand you Tuniq. Think it will be good enough to fit as is ?

Yeah mayaswell, I wanna get this baby to at least 3.5ghz. Im thinking of ordering a few delta 40mm fans for the otes ststem. just to keep it extra cool. Untill waterblocks become available. I would have prefered ot have waited for a dfi 680, but there are no signs of it at the moment.

pretty sure im gonna get a 8800 gtx, prob get this
    setup to keep it busy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

how do you spell "E-penis?"

Who asked your opinion, and more importantly who cares :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

SeanW wrote:
    how do you spell "E-penis?"

j-e-a-l-o-u-s-y

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭SeanW

lol, I guess I had that coming. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

50% of monies aqquired \o/

Just got my G80...trying it out now :)
    So far it seems dead quiet...and was easy to install too.

Anyway, my Tuniq Tower arrived and the task of installing it and removing my mobo is too daunting for me so it's up on adverts and will take best offer. It's in the box unopened so brand new!!

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2869&p=13

Cpu fits easy, no need to flatline the caps. By the looks of it.

All my stuff arrived today. Apart from the gpu. Everything is fitted but im too scared to turn it on.

Ah...go on.
    I want to hear about the mobo.
    Running my G80 now and playing Oblivion again at 1920 :)

Problems already. Cant get no juice from the galaxy psu. Just used a old gamextreme 500W. Looks like ill have to Rma to overclockers.....bastards !

Might slot in my hiper 580W. And prime it for 24hours before i start to overclock.

The Widescreen monitor is fecking sweet. I will be taking it apart in the next few days. As i didnt bother with any cable tidying. So expect pics soon:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

omg the new 5ms dell is so much better looking .lol

Advertisement