Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here it comes.....8800gtx

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

anti wrote:

erm 3.6 ghz on the E6300 with air!? night night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Bummer about the PSU man. Hope they sort it pronto.

I like the 5ms Dell too. Shame it's a TN film panel which isn't the best if you watch movies and want good viewing angles.

Seeing as this is a G80 thread and you need a really deep case for it, I have a brand new unopened Akasa Eclipse with full warranty/receipts going on Adverts for 110 euro now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ok i got mobo yesterday and have mounted it into the vapochill and silicone sealed it and installed everything else, just waiting on the 2x g80's :( damn komplett :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I wanna see what you can get that cpu to on that board, and how those dual cards work :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i bet 4.3 if ya push it to its max.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

5.3 has been seen on a re-gassed comp. collaler did it, if memory serves me correctly.

ok u cant re gass a compresser to a diffrent gas if u do the compreseor will die in a short time.

compressor? gas? phase cooling right?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Flaccus wrote:
    Just got my G80...trying it out now :)
    So far it seems dead quiet...and was easy to install too.

Anyway, my Tuniq Tower arrived and the task of installing it and removing my mobo is too daunting for me so it's up on adverts and will take best offer. It's in the box unopened so brand new!!
    How are you getting on with your G80?

• Advertisement

Great.....overclocked it with ntune straight away to 650/1000 and it will probably go higher. Playing all my games at 1920x1200 with 16xAA. It's flipping awesome. No more shimmering, improved image quality all round. HD+AA in Oblivion in sweet although I am playing with only 4xAA but still everything maxed. I could not even do this when I had a 7950GX2 quad sli setup. At least not at these framerates and image quality. Will probably run some benches later but from what I have read 3dmark is not much of an indication of how powerful this card is. You can visibly see it in games though. Using it in an Intel Bad Axe. Sli problems with EVGA 680i and other annoynances with it, turned me off at least for now.

Noise wise it's grand too. Maybe a bit louder then my GX2 but not by much. Temp wise it seems to stay around mid to high 50's idle and get's into low 70's under load. I am using it in an Akasa case which has great cooling anyway. All Scythe 120mm fans. 1 in the front, and 1 in the back as normal - running at 1200rpm max and speed controlled by the mobo. And a side 800rpm one for the gpu, and finally another 800rpm one inside a Kama Bay cooler which blows onto the front of the cpu heatsink.

Must post some pics later.

Great.....overclocked it with ntune straight away to 650/1000 and it will probably go higher. Playing all my games at 1920x1200 with 16xAA. It's flipping awesome. No more shimmering, improved image quality all round. HD+AA in Oblivion in sweet although I am playing with only 4xAA but still everything maxed. I could not even do this when I had a 7950GX2 quad sli setup. At least not at these framerates and image quality. Will probably run some benches later but from what I have read 3dmark is not much of an indication of how powerful this card is. You can visibly see it in games though. Using it in an Intel Bad Axe. Sli problems with EVGA 680i and other annoynances with it, turned me off at least for now.

Noise wise it's grand too. Maybe a bit louder then my GX2 but not by much. Temp wise it seems to stay around mid to high 50's idle and get's into low 70's under load. I am using it in an Akasa case which has great cooling anyway. All Scythe 120mm fans. 1 in the front, and 1 in the back as normal - running at 1200rpm max and speed controlled by the mobo. And a side 800rpm one for the gpu, and finally another 800rpm one inside a Kama Bay cooler which blows onto the front of the cpu heatsink.

Must post some pics later.

Yeah it's awesome alright. There actually isn't too much of a gain in 3d mark although some people are getting high scores in sli. Just imagine what kind gaming fps they would be doing :D

Glad to see yours is working fine though. Mine seems to have some sort of issue with the power or the resistor, so I've not put it through it's paces yet. Though I've contacted XFX support and they have told me the card is not from the batch with the bad resistors. The 680i and e6600 arrived today so I'll test with that just to make sure the psu is upto the standard required.

Hopefully evga will sort out the sli issues and sound issues soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

For anyone interested, Komplett now have 30 POV 6800GTXs in stock (€665).

Just did a small 10% overclock on my cpu to bring it up to 3.2ghz. Used the fsb instead of the multiplier. All default voltages. Fixed my memory at 800mhz in bios so the overclock brought it up to 880mhz. And set timings at 4,4,4,5 which is pretty decent for ddr2. Overclocked video card to 650/1000 from 575/900 default.

3dmark06 pulls 11846 which is the best I have ever had. 1 card beating out Crossfire or any 7series sli. With quad core which I am installing next week you can add another thousand. Don't expect the quad to go beyond 3.2ghz to be honest.

Core temp shows my cpu temps hardly going up at all thanks to my excellent case cooling. After coming out of 3dmark the temps are in the high 30's on both cores. Never seem to get over mid 40's during 3dmark. Although I can make them hit early 60's with Orthos. The X6800 is good for 75 plus anyway.

Noise wise I have my case fans set to run 100% when case temps reach 40 degrees or cpu 50 degrees. So during 3dmark06 they stay around 880rpm only. Also the video card hardly winds up at all.

Dead pleased so far.

Gaming is excellent too. I play everything now at 1920x1200 with AA enhanced mode set to 16x QAA except Oblivion.

Maybe when some decent 680i mobos come out, I will invest in another G80 next year. Can't see the point now as the most recent bios did not fix the sound break up problem.

A temporary fix has been achieved by putting the second G80 card in the blue pci-e slot. This brings the cards closer together but it works well and solves all the sound issues, until nvidia bring a proper fix.

So far I've gotten 19250 3dmark05 with cpu @ 3.6 and gpu @ 650/1000. That's stable, but I'm trying to get more out of the e6600. It's a L630A conroe, that seems quite good so far. My ram is lax timings 5-5-5 atm, need to tighter that up later. The 680i suffers from fsb holes limiting overclocking potential. It would be better to stick with tried and tested boards unless you really want to go sli. Asus Striker is probably a good alternative to the evga board and abit is coming out with a 680i board soon too.

omg a 6600 at 3.6 on air! i cant wait to get my new pc

CPU up to 3.3ghz, GPU 660/1010, Memory at 452mhz (4,4,4,12).

3dmark 06 : 12024 with a single 8800GTX.
    http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4314/3dmarkxe4.jpg

I expect a bit higher next week when I install my QX6700. Hopefully the Bad Axe will let me overclock it a little. I hear the fsb is very limited with Bad Axe 1.

still waiting on the 8800gtx's to come in stock in komplett :(

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

gline wrote:
    still waiting on the 8800gtx's to come in stock in komplett :(
    I got mine this morning :D
    I cancelled the XFX, and ordered a 'Point of View' when I saw them in stock on friday. They got 30 GTXs and 10 GTSs, the GTSs are all sold, but there's still 24 GTXs left (€665, comes with Dark Messiah Might and Magic).

This card is truly awesome, the IQ is fantastic and nothing slows it down. I can now play NWN2 at 1600x1200 maxed out, 8xAA, 16xAF :). I knew what to expect, having read other's feedback, but I'm still blown away by the power. At last, I can play Oblivion at it's finest with HDR+AA, and I'll be replaying all my favourite games at 16x everything!

• Advertisement

Best config so far. Theres not really much difference between Flaccus' score either. The ram is set to 408 4-5-4-15 2T, there aren't really any ram dividers on the 680i and running in unlinked severly reduces performance in benchmarks. Hindsight is a great thing, and with it I might of bought the PB5 Deluxe. Hopefully nvidia will come out with a proper ocing platform soon.

ordered to POV 8800gtx's today and cancelled my other order, hope they come soon

Gline : you do know the sound is knackered in sli. The DX9 fix does not work for a lot of people, and using the onboard optical sounds pants. Sticking one of the G80's in the 8x slot seems to sort it, but then you are reducing your bandwidth in half which probably will have consequences for DX10 games.

This is why I returned my 680i and did not buy another G80. Waiting patiently.

Also you should check how much total amps you can do on the 12v rail. 60 needed. I am 4 short with my PSU but it would probably still work as Nvidia tend to exagerate requirements.

Flaccus wrote:
    Gline : you do know the sound is knackered in sli. The DX9 fix does not work for a lot of people, and using the onboard optical sounds pants. Sticking one of the G80's in the 8x slot seems to sort it, but then you are reducing your bandwidth in half which probably will have consequences for DX10 games.

This is why I returned my 680i and did not buy another G80. Waiting patiently.

Also you should check how much total amps you can do on the 12v rail. 60 needed. I am 4 short with my PSU but it would probably still work as Nvidia tend to exagerate requirements.

well il just use them in 8x for now, until there is a fix :P id say psu will be ok as you stated they do exagerate these things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

Sucks that ATI's competing R600 has only 64 computing units. They should do better in complex tasks but problems will arise if they remain underutilized in current games since few games apart from Oblivion are going to tax it. Dang. Why the heck does ATI have to take the blatantly unconventional and almost idiotic approach to designing their GPU's? :mad: They should be trying to trounce the competition, not make things easy for them. Oh well. Let's see what happens in January/February when the reviews of the R600 monster hit the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sucks that ATI's competing R600 has only 64 computing units. They should do better in complex tasks but problems will arise if they remain underutilized in current games since few games apart from Oblivion are going to tax it. Dang. Why the heck does ATI have to take the blatantly unconventional and almost idiotic approach to designing their GPU's? :mad: They should be trying to trounce the competition, not make things easy for them. Oh well. Let's see what happens in January/February when the reviews of the R600 monster hit the web.

You are talking about current games. For all you know, that very 6 months in development could be responsible if ATi trounce the oposition when games like Crysis come out.

see,s like pci latency tool might fix the xfi sound issue on the evga 680i
    info here
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1119603

also a new bios was released today - posted on last page here http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21071&whichpage=4

seems to specifically address the issue

Lets hope for some good feedback on the beta bios but the pci latency tool is a red herring as the OP on the evga thread points out. Nothing to do with X-Fi at all. Cracking across all types of sound.

Another thing I did not like about this board was the chipset fan - even at 50% which is lowest you can set it to it was too noisy and chipset still got too hot, with hot air venting up towards cpu. Asus striker looks like a better design. Then again Asus tech support is total pants and at least EVGA are actively engaged with forum members on solving issues.

Quad core installed last night...benches soon :)

true, seems to be hit and miss, some say bios works, others say it doesnt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

just got my GTX card, only two more pieces until my new rig is finished.
    need the new HDD and my Monitor, then I will be flying.

btw no duty charge was put on the card, had it shipped to here in the end

Advertisement