Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My experimental music

• 03-11-2006 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I know this isn't the norm in this forum, but I thought I'd chance my arm ;)

I recently completed a masters in music technology degree. My final project focused on drone-based and spectral music. The main body of work consisted of a software plugin for the creation of static and drone music but I also submitted a short composition to demonstrate the plugin. If anyone fancies a listen its available for download here:

http://www.box.net/public/3mmombrbqn

If anyone is interested in the technical side of things, or in reading the background to my work, the plugin and thesis are available here:

http://www.box.net/public/abdfp4kvz2

I'd appreciate any comments, good or bad :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 stephendm

Coolness! At the start it's like the soundtrack to '2001', then it goes a bit like 'Silent Hill' (on the PS2 anyway), then like 'Space Invaders' on the Atari 800XL and then back to 'Silent Hill'.
    I'm serious though....it is pretty cool. I don't mean to take away from the fact that you put it together by referencing a film and games but it just reminds me of them is all.
    I don't think I could call it music though.....more 'Atmospheric Mood-Tunes' trademark by me just now

Nice one mate

Also 'Forbidden Planet' springs to mind on the second loop around! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

That's really good, man, nice one! Yeah, not sure if you could call it music, but it's damn good, whatever it fits in as. Sort of thing I'd put on if I needed to chill out. Keep up the good work.

Also, the bit around 3.22 into the song reminds me of the THX sound trademark yokey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmmm! Not a toe-tapper ;) Well recorded though.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Just listening now, very nice indeed (and definitely music IMO). Just read the first chapter of your thesis and it's very interesting. Especially considering I didn't know there was such a word as "dronology". That made my day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hehe. Thanks for listening lads. Dronology exists alright, it even has sub genres apparently (drone doom metal anyone?). There's a pretty good article on drone music at http://www.textura.org/newreviewspages/dronesarticle.htm. That piece is pretty much just a demo of the software I made, there's not a huge amount of aesthetic work gone into it at all.

• Advertisement

cornbb wrote:
    (drone doom metal anyone?)

Frequently actually.
    That piece is pretty much just a demo of the software I made, there's not a huge amount of aesthetic work gone into it at all.

Have you done or do you plan to do more music with your software? It sounds good and I wouldn't mind hearing more stuff that has a bit more "aesthetic work" gone into it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bogart

It sounds like a flying saucer hovering over a formula one race track where an ambulance is making it's way to the scene of an accident :eek: . Very good indeed!

John wrote:
    Have you done or do you plan to do more music with your software? It sounds good and I wouldn't mind hearing more stuff that has a bit more "aesthetic work" gone into it :)

I hope to do so actually. I have a couple of ideas, its only a matter of getting off my arse and getting around to it...

Ah, I know that feeling. Please post up anything you'd like to share.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I did the M.Sc in Music Technology 02-03. That was a fun year.

What are you thinking of doing with it now? I went straight back into IT. Flicking through your thesis seeing PD and Max patches is a blast from the past.

God your tune is freaking me out as I type (at 3:20 in it)! Good work.

• Advertisement

I've got a job already, miraculously, and its relative to the course, unbeliveably. I work for a small crowd out in Galway. Its a cool job but I miss music tech, sniff sniff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

There there.. we will simply have to set up our own course in Galway.

Advertisement