Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Look what I got

Options
  • 03-11-2006 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can't recommend these dogs enough. If you want a friend/companion this is what you need. A Newfoundland by the way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

A photo would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

There you go my stupidity SORRY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

Ah look at him/her!! Ah...cutest thing ever..what ya gonna call him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Its going to get a whole lot bigger, nice. :)

It' a female by the way we are calling her Roxie but her pedigree name is Cherrylodge Zelda. We are sure that she will get a lot bigger as she is only 5 months old and already weighs in at 30kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Cute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am interested in getting a NFL also.

I think the OP should point out, along with their recommendation, that these dogs are HUGE.

Beautiful animals, and very amicable and gentle also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭tickledpinkfair

wow i love her shes gorgeous this is the type of dog that i will own someday when i get a big enough garden they grow huge n are so cute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just to bring a bit of balance into this thread (no offence, OP):

Newfoundlands drool, big time. Their coat demands quite some attention and even though they're big and mostly placid and laid back, they still need excercise and stimulation. Furthermore, due to their weight and strength, they should be carefully trained and supervised to avoid any "accidents"

Not the kind of dog that you can just "park" in your huge back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Oh wow! Shes gorgeous!! May I ask where you got her? After careful consideration last january we decided to get a Newfie, and got in contact with the secretary of the Irish Nefoundland Society to get in contact with some good breeders, but the breeders told us there were no litters expected for over a year! Were you on a waiting list?

We got a gorgeous lab instead though, and wouldnt trade him for the world!

I do hope to own a newf one day though.

• Advertisement

Hi folk's thanks for the comments, just to pick up on a few points that were mentioned. The Newfie is a big dog that does need good training and handling as Peasant said and they drool bigger than big time and her coat takes about 20-30mins per day to keep it looking right regards exercise can I just warn people thinking of getting one "get a new wardrobe" as none of your clothes are going to fit you anymore, however do not over exercise the Newfie pup as it can be quite dangerous for them until they are 12 months old.

random_banter, we got her from a breeder in wicklow who has a litter there ready to go BUT they are all spoken for. There is a couple in Armagh if I am correct (check the breeders thread).

I will add this though DONT LET THEM NEAR WATER, the Newfie was orignally bread for the fishermen of Newfoundland. Their task was to swim out to retrieve the fishing nets, they were then used as rescue dogs a la St. Bernard but where the bernard did the mountains the Newfie did the water. I have heard of two stories where the owners went swimmimg with their Newfie only to be dragged kicking and screaming to the shore by their Newfie.

A little known fact about the Newfie is that they have webbed feet, hence their ability for swimming.

Thanks again for your comments but pleae heed the advice myself and peasant have given if you would like to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I wouldn't say don't let them swim. Swimming is what they were bred for. Just don't get in with them!

I did mean that jokingly and I did mention that thats what they were bred for!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I will add this though DONT LET THEM NEAR WATER, the Newfie was orignally bread for the fishermen of Newfoundland. Their task was to swim out to retrieve the fishing nets, they were then used as rescue dogs a la St. Bernard but where the bernard did the mountains the Newfie did the water. I have heard of two stories where the owners went swimmimg with their Newfie only to be dragged kicking and screaming to the shore by their Newfie.

A little known fact about the Newfie is that they have webbed feet, hence their ability for swimming.
    Our Newf is now 10 months old and is 43kg :eek: Like I said in another thread, when he stands up on his back legs, his head is nearly up to my shoulder and I'm 5'10". He is huuuuuuuge.

My folks actually brought our puppy to the beach there about two weeks ago. They brought him down to the water and this teeeeeny tiny wave came in and he bounded away from it like a lunatic! Then he went back down to the water, and he liked it then! He actually went in a good bit into the water, so the water was up to his belly, he had a great time! They didn't go swimming though, I have warned them about how he could try and "rescue" them when they don't need rescuing!

He's actually amazing at football as well!!! He's brilliant! :D We were playing footie with him over the weekend, and he is sooo competitive! He could be on the Irish team (in fact, he's probably better than many of the Irish players!!). He's hilarious though, he is still bounding around like a lunatic. My dad messes a lot with him and the other day we were trying to get him into the car and he would not get in so the dog started jumping up in the air running rings around my dad. I took a video of it and twas one of the funniest things ever. He just bounds and kinda bounces along! I think the dog is half mad! :D

He's lovely though, he's so loyal! The other day it was lashing rain and he looked so sad outside the patio door - we couldn't let him in though coz he would destroy the place since he was soaked, and my mom said "if he wants shelter, he has a house outside!" but he just won't leave the door if we are inside, he has to be involved in everything. If you are watching tv then and if you ignore him, he goes out to the kitchen, grabs his squeaky toy, brings it into the living room and squeaks it until he gets attention - he's some clever puppy!

Advertisement