Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL Transfers and Rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

KdjaC wrote:
    But he will get more money and play in better stadiums yeah ? Not really a sad day for him.

kdjac

Doubt he'll get much more money and he'll play in slightly better stadiums but he could become a gaelic player and play in croker if he wanted that. The point is he could have done alot better than that.

The real sickner, and it'll nearly kill me, is if he does well enough to move to Celtic. I could not bear the sight of those fans walking around with his name on their shirts singing songs about him having never heard of him before. Enough to make me sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Not a sad day for him, at all, and I wish him the best. But as someone who supports Shels, and revel in watching his peformances, I'm gutted. Not like that money'll allow us to buy a worthy replacement for him either! :( Or Jayo, and we NEED another striker if he goes.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion. He's the kind of player who livens up a dull game with a couple of touches of a ball, he's the most skillful player in the eircom league today, bar none. I can't even begin to express how disappointed I am (or will be?) at this.

What a country we live in, where a player feels it is a step-up to move away from his home town to another country of similar population just across the sea, from a succesful club to relegation-threatened minnows, to "further" his career.

Very sad tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Would imagine he has Slashs idea in his head, only needs to turn it on for 4 months or so and get himself a move, tbh wouldnt be surpirsed if Celtic were behind this move its not unknown for teams to do this.

Cracking player without a doubt one of the best in the league.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Where did the €200,000 figure come from? Shocked if its true, but he only has 1 year left on his contract if I'm thinking straight, and then I guess that money is better than nothing - which is what we'd get in 12 months....

Seperate post/rant about Wes and the undervaluing of the league in general - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054866202

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    he's the most skillful player in the eircom league today, bar none

Apart from George O Callaghan you mean. A Player who has consistently torn teams asunder for the last few seasons.

Hoolahan is a good player no doubt, and Im hugely surprised he has turned down City for Livingston, but to say he is the best in the league? Nah.

All said, I think Slashs post above may be the reason why he is/has left Shels and turned down Cork City. Kinda pathetic really.

gimmick wrote:
    Apart from George O Callaghan you mean. A Player who has consistently torn teams asunder for the last few seasons.

Haha, I'm never going to say that now in fairness am I?

patsfc.com confirm 3 signings (only 2 weeks later)
    John McDonnell has added three players to his squad ahead of the 2006 season. Joining the Saints are midfielders Mark Rutherford and Anthony Murphy and striker Mark Quigley.

Both Rutherford and Quigley were with Shamrock Rovers, while Anthony Murphy was previous with the Saints before moving on to Monaghan United and more recently U.C.D.

McDonnell is busy in the transfer market and we hope to have some further announcements soon.

And Armstrong out for the start of the season so guess Doyle will be staying (i hope)

Weird getting players and not selling any, its like the not in thing to do these days ;)

kdjac

Just cuz noone wants to buy them KdjaC! :D

Cork City have signed

John O Flynn :eek:

• Advertisement

:eek: You are taking the proverbial Michael, right?

Nope. its not official yet, but apparently Flynn has admitted to taking "bad advise from a certain person".

Lennox will be making a statement later. Not sure am I happy about this. Hopefully CCFC will have lowballed his contract this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I don't know what to think.:confused:

I said the same when he annouonced that he was leaving.

Maybe John had a "Its a Wonderful Life" experience are realised that his life was actually important where he is now.:)

I genuinely hope for your sake you don't sign him. Though he may go out with alot to prove now...?

Shocking speculation anyways! :o

Only in the eircom league :D

Still think Cork should be replacing him anyway.

There's alot of angry people on the Cork forums anyways! :) All will become clear shortly, no doubt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

great move IMO..

as Einstürzende just said he'll be going out with a lot to prove, he's aiming for an injury free campiagn, to score a lot of goals and then probably go cross channel next year to a much better club than swansea..

a minority of the fans may not want him back, but fcuk it, on his day he has the potential to be the best striker in the eL.. lets give him the chance to show us what a great player he can be...

"on his day he has the potential to be the best striker in the eL"

Maybe in '03, he'll never be at that level again imo.

Cork need a 20 goal a season man and O'Flynn is not it, not anymore anyway.

O'Flynn back to Cork is a real bamboozler, a sign of desperation on Corks part perhaps? Can't really be a bad move for them once the "he left us then came back" feelings disappear, he'll score a few goals but as Slash/Ed says he won't get 20.

So long as Cork realise this and sign another, more instinctive striker, they'll do well. O'Flynn might find himself warming the bench if that happens.

• Advertisement

Queue a typical drunken post by Gareth. Which raises another question, but lets not get into it now.

Desperation? By who?

Flynn?

City?

Why would CCFC feel desperate? No team or squad is near the quality which City have now, thats why the league throphy sits Leeside.

It seems quite desperate on O'Flynns part anyway, he has made a fool of himself as far as I can tell and now realises he should never have left in the first place.

Cork are showing some desperation in taking him back, its the easy option of course, but why would they want to re-sign a player who quite clearly doesn't want to be there? They should sign Zayed and stick O'Flynn on the bench to show who's boss.
    Why would CCFC feel desperate? No team or squad is near the quality which City have now, thats why the league throphy sits Leeside.

Well that certainly was true over the past season, I'm not debating that. Without O'Flynn and Kearney things may be slightly different though.

Maybe they tried to get Zayed but couldn't? If Byrne leaves Shels, it will be very difficult to pry Zayed away from suddenly fairly well off Bray.

If Byrne and Wes go next season is going to be a long, hard struggle.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

It seems quite desperate on O'Flynns part anyway,.

Yup
    MrJoeSoap wrote:

he has made a fool of himself as far as I can tell and now realises he should never have left in the first place.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:

Cork are showing some desperation in taking him back,

How? CCFC never wanted him to leave i the first place.
    its the easy option of course,

What?
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    but why would they want to re-sign a player who quite clearly doesn't want to be there? They should sign Zayed and stick O'Flynn on the bench to show who's boss.

Not disagreeing with any of that

EDIT: Zayed still has to prove himself with a proper team. He can sign for whoever, but scoring for Bray is a distance from scoring for the best.

gimmick wrote:
    How? CCFC never wanted him to leave i the first place.

Yeah but be allowing him to come straight back after his move to England fell through (apparently anyway), Cork are allowing JoF to be in control of the situation. He clearly sees Cork as something he can just fall back on when things don't work out.

Cork are certainly showing him more respect than he is showing them, I guess thats my main point.
    What?

Its easier to merely re-sign him than to go out and try sign a replacement, thats all I meant.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Yeah but be allowing him to come straight back after his move to England fell through (apparently anyway),

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Cork are allowing JoF to be in control of the situation.

No, wrong. Complete opposite is true.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:

He clearly sees Cork as something he can just fall back on when things don't work out.

Cork are certainly showing him more respect than he is showing them, I guess thats my main point.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Its easier to merely re-sign him than to go out and try sign a replacement, thats all I meant.

Yes, but who is the bigger fool? He for having delusions of granduer, or for City who stood firm on a realistic offer???

I'll tell you on this day 12 months!

^^^

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Great move for City and JOF. But O'Flynn or no O'Flynn, we still need another striker. City were being linked with Pavel Fort of Slavia Prague, he still looks like a good signing.

I dunno if they can afford both him and O'Flynn though. A post on the City site says that O'Flynn will be on half of what he was on?? Can't imagine that though.

Rumours about Kearney coming back now as well.

If O'Flynn comes back and does well and is committed then Cork will obviously have been vindicated in their choice.

If O'Flynn comes back and looks disinterested and doesn't perform then it will have been a foolish move on their part.

I guess its a risk they are willing to take, and if he comes good then fair play to them. Also, Cork must be commended as you have said, for sticking to their guns and not budging on their offer.

O'Flynn (December 20th):

“It was a very big decision, and I’d been thinking about it for a few weeks now. I weighed up all my options and I think it’s the best decision. I’m the right age to go back over. There’s interest over there and I’m just chuffed to go away with a gold medal. This season’s been a big success.

“After thinking about it thoroughly I decided it would be the best to go back to England. I didn’t succeed the first time I went over. I was over at a young age, but I know what’s it’s about now. I’ve made my name over in Ireland. It’s time for me to make my name over there.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

trevor "billyboy" molloy will be going back to pats or up north to glentoran expect to hear the announcment soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalk have today completed the signing of Waterford United midfielder/attacker Sean Finn. Sean has played for Tranmere Rovers and Atlanta Silverbacks and was snapped up by Waterford after a successful stint at UCD including their promotion winning season of 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Guys You all know how much i love dundalk and never fault my team , but last season we finished mid table. Get the money on dundalk to win the 1st divsion this year , the sqaud john gill has assembled already is amazing. The odds on dundalk to win the 1st divison would be very very good.

i think it might be cobh/rovers imo, some serious amount of transfere speculation in the hoops camp see: http://www.aimoo.com/forum/categories.cfm?id=606830&CategoryID=362984&zb=8638192 and look into all the sigins threads, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Galway are the best bet for the First Division IMO.

Seán Finn is a decent bloke, I hope his move goes well, he's a handy player and should be well able for the First Division.

weren't that good last year

gimmick wrote:

the rumour doing the rounds here as well is that Karel Poborky could be on his way Leeside also, though I would take the latter as wild speculation.

Apparently he was seen in Cork airport an hour ago!!! :eek:

gimmick wrote:
    Apparently he was seen in Cork airport an hour ago!!! :eek:

heard the same thing.. imagine it.. would he have the pace to play on the right or would he be in the centre of midfield?

How old is he now? Wasn't he only playing champions league footy last season or has my memory let me down? If he was, he should be a good signing for Cork if it happens.

I just got a phonecall from the "pub", saying that Paporski is signing for City.

Apparently its spreading like wildfire around Cork.;)

• Advertisement

Wonders will never cease! Amazing signing (if true)! Not sure he's an amazing player but certainly a high profile one.

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/73651/limit

Check out the middle story there.

John O'Flynn has re-signed with cork city.
    happy days.

do us proud john and we'll forgive ya and wont call you judas after a while.

btw that poborsky story is a load of bol!ocks..

Roar wrote:
    John O'Flynn has re-signed with cork city.
    happy days.

do us proud john and we'll forgive ya and wont call you judas after a while.

btw that poborsky story is a load of bol!ocks..

Are ya serious:D

Good stuff he must have seen sence, lets face it the EL is getting better, its not as good as the EPL but the football quality is as good as some championship teams although the players are in the shop window over there more so than here, unfortunitly we as a country don't take our league seriously, and sadly if people don't support the EL they see it as an embarrasment (hence the conflict here)

Yes, In fact, when I posted it earlier in the thread it was because I had made it up completely to see how far it would go.

That said though I was caught out by my own rumour for about an hour yesterday :o;)

And yes, Flynn has signed a new 2 year deal. Kearney should be confirmed soon enough as well.

Gimmick you naughty boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone signed Jim Sheridan from Sligo Rovers.

Ndo rumour popped up on Saints forum again with news that Shels want a transfer fee and Pats obviously wont pay one. Seemingly Shels need to cut their salary...aww shucks ....that sucks.

Omg could i be right again :eek: .....hehehehhe

kdjac

So? Poborsky rumour popped up on this thread. Doesn't mean its true. :)

Plus if we are selling Wes and Jayo there is no way we need to cut our wage bill.

• Advertisement

If we sell Jayo Wes and Ndo I will personally hunt down Ollie Byrne and castrate the git. If we need to loosen up on the wages, look at S.Byrne and Crawford. Both great players, but vying for the same position with Alan Reynolds. We need Ndo to run our attacking play through the centre.

Advertisement