Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL Transfers and Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

KdjaC wrote:
    Nah right wing tbh in a 451, Shels wants €20k for him no way we will pay that as we sold him for €5k.

I'd say you're kicking yourselves over in Richmond! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'd say you're kicking yourselves over in Richmond! :D

Or waiting and seeing how bad the rot is over in Sheliban land.....

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

KdjaC wrote:
    Nah right wing tbh in a 451, Shels wants €20k for him no way we will pay that as we sold him for €5k.

kdjac

How on earth have Shels any say, we sold him to you months ago? :confused:

Slash/ED wrote:
    How on earth have Shels any say, we sold him to you months ago? :confused:

Did you read about it in the Transfer Rumours thread!!!!!

Shockingly we have bid for him twice to alleviate your wages problem, everyones buddy Eamo was in 125 on numerous occasions looking for a fee for him which we wouldnt pay.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Former Newry City winger Barry Curran
    today put pen to paper on a two-year
    contract with Finn Harps.

The Lifford born 28-year-old lists
    Derry City, Limavady United, Omagh
    Town, Coleraine and Newry City among
    his former clubs.

Curran becomes the fifth new face to
    link-up with Anthony Gorman's Harps
    side after Marc Mokendi (Derry City),
    Stephen O'Donnell (Sligo Rovers), Chris
    Malseed (Letterkenny Rovers) and David
    Bell (St Patrick's Atheltic) committed
    to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Former Newry City winger Barry Curran
    today put pen to paper on a two-year
    contract with Finn Harps.

The Lifford born 28-year-old lists
    Derry City, Limavady United, Omagh
    Town, Coleraine and Newry City among
    his former clubs.

Whats he like?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

He's supposed to be a decent enough player. Very quick and has a good eye for goal. Good signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Joe Gamble has signed a 2 year extension to his current deal with City, keeping him at the club until 2008. Joe is one of the best midfielders in the league and its great to see him commit to the club. He was a huge part in making City the best team in Ireland, unlike some other players who have decided that the club is too prfessioanl for them.

Trev Molloy has signed for Pats officially now. Is that 8 new signings for them. Is McDonnell the new Pat Dolan, sign players willy nilly, and see where he can put them later? Molloy should be a good signing though. Along with Frost and Mulcahy, Pats have made some shrewd signings in the last few months.

eircom League Premier Division newcomers Sligo Rovers formally announced the signings of four new first-team players at a press conference in the town on Tuesday.

Rovers manager Sean Connor, who guided the club to the First Division crown in his first full season in charge, is busily building a squad capable of the step-up to the top-flight.

The acquisitions of former Irish under-21 left back Keith Foy from Monaghan United and Northern Ireland under-19 captain Chris Turner from Derby County had been announced earlier in January, and Connor also announced the arrivals of two more players on Tuesday.

Australian midfielder Adam Hughes, described by the Rovers boss as his principal target over the winter months, and former Blackburn Rovers right back Gavin Peers completed the formalities surrounding their moves to the Showgrounds on two-year contracts within the past few days.

Referring to his latest moves, Connor told the club’s official website: "Adam Hughes has been my main target all pre-season. He’s a 23-year-old Australian, who was brought to my attention by Gerry Cassidy. Gerry’s been instrumental in ensuring he signed for Rovers despite a lot of interest from League One, Two and Conference clubs. He’s played for Doncaster this season and scored in the Carling Cup against Wrexham. Alex is a combative midfielder with a strong work ethic, good engine and a happy knack of getting on the end of things – something we lacked last season from midfield.

"Gavin Peers is a 20-year-old right back who was at Blackburn before going to Mansfield last season where he played over 20 games and he comes highly recommended from [Birmingham City manager] Steve Bruce. He’s technically a very good player and a very solid defender, has been capped at under age and is looking to break into Ireland under-21 squad.”

Looking forward to seeing Sligo this year, maybe even making the trip up for an away game.

Trev Molloy has signed for Pats officially now. Is that 8 new signings for them. Is McDonnell the new Pat Dolan, sign players willy nilly, and see where he can put them later? Molloy should be a good signing though. Along with Frost and Mulcahy, Pats have made some shrewd signings in the last few months.

Wonder if he will get rid of his Rovers tattoo now, sad tho he was clean for so long now sadly is a junkie again...gotta love rovers fans :)

MC D inherited Collins team and only towards the end of last season did more than 6 play that MC D signed. Its his team now, so now he can be judged properly.

Odd how we can sell players then eventually get back for free :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Shame Trev has gone. He was never found wanting for heart or fight, but had a poor season in front of goal and never really got his fitness sorted. We can probably bring in three new players on the strength of his wages now.

Shame Trev has gone. He was never found wanting for heart or fight, but had a poor season in front of goal and never really got his fitness sorted. We can probably bring in three new players on the strength of his wages now.

Did well this season but Scully doesnt like him for some reason(did they play together at Shels?) And he was on 8 or 9 a week so made sense to let him go.
    Scored 4 goals for us in his last season 3 penos wonder if he will top that this season.

kdjac

Pats to sign Paul Keegan from Longford and bring back the "legend" Stephen McGuinness.

Neither confirmed both rumours but 2nd one is a good one, god i loved him :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

KdjaC wrote:
    sad tho he was clean for so long now sadly is a junkie again...gotta love rovers fans smile.gif

where did any rovers fans call trev a junkie? we wish him the best he even offered to take a pay cut but was still on too much 1k offered to go to 500 i heard (although rumour), hpe he does well in "richer" he had a faulty season last year to say the least but was always a true hoop. LOL he'll prob come back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

According to the Star, there is going to be a bidding war between Cork City and Drogheda United over Eamon Zayed who has only 1 year left on his contract.

Do I think Cork City should get him?

Yes I do.:v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

after that astonishing 10-0 win over the mighty Cahir United do we really need him??? we must be favourites to win the champions league now...:p

he'd be a great signing i have to say, hopefully we can go and get him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

KdjaC wrote:
    Pats to sign Paul Keegan from Longford and bring back the "legend" Stephen McGuinness.

Neither confirmed both rumours but 2nd one is a good one, god i loved him :D

kdjac

your resigning mr unfinished business , waster good riddance

Gary Dempsey is out of favour at Aberdeen, and wasmeant to go to Doncaster, but they couldnt free up the wages to pay him. It was suggested in todays Mirror that City may be interested, though Rico commented he knows very little about the player.

An Australian trialist will play in tomorrows friendly Vs Kinsale.

Sarge wrote:
    your resigning mr unfinished business , waster good riddance

Mr Waster has more league medals than your entire team, Was excellent last time he was with us just Dolan didnt like him.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Mr Waster has more league medals than your entire team, Was excellent last time he was with us just Dolan didnt like him.

kdjac

David May has more medals then john terry that make him a better player ?

haha good one, steo isn't a force to be reconed with but is a solid player

Sarge wrote:
    David May has more medals then john terry that make him a better player ?

If JT doesnt win any more yes DM is a better player (just to point out DM played in an attacking Utd team with little or no cover, JT plays in a Defending team with lots of cover, i would like to see him Vs Barca with no Makele or Essien to protect him see how bloody good he is then).

Like MOlloy i suppose if they are arsed they play well, MOllow was arsed with us for a season then wasnt so we sold him, was arsed with Rovers last season whether he does that again is debatable, Mc Guiness if he signs and is arsed is a quality CB.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    If JT doesnt win any more yes DM is a better player (just to point out DM played in an attacking Utd team with little or no cover, JT plays in a Defending team with lots of cover, i would like to see him Vs Barca with no Makele or Essien to protect him see how bloody good he is then).

Like MOlloy i suppose if they are arsed they play well, MOllow was arsed with us for a season then wasnt so we sold him, was arsed with Rovers last season whether he does that again is debatable, Mc Guiness if he signs and is arsed is a quality CB.

kdjac

Kdjac , honestly im going away from the whole david may comment i cant believe your trying to even say that david may is better then john terry ! Anyway it was a joke example by me , when was the last time you seen stephen mcguinness play honestly bearing in mind that i have see him play over 30 times in the last 2 seasons.

Sarge wrote:
    Kdjac , honestly im going away from the whole david may comment i cant believe your trying to even say that david may is better then john terry ! Anyway it was a joke example by me , when was the last time you seen stephen mcguinness play honestly bearing in mind that i have see him play over 30 times in the last 2 seasons.

Last time i seen him play well was 7 years ago, but when he left us Dolan wanted rid of him McG offered to take a pay cut to stay. Now he getting a pay rise to play for us if he signs.

Good players dont just become bad players usually its their surroundings, if he comes back to us im sure he will be arsed to play. And he is a proven quality CB in the EL.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Last time i seen him play well was 7 years ago, but when he left us Dolan wanted rid of him McG offered to take a pay cut to stay. Now he getting a pay rise to play for us if he signs.

Good players dont just become bad players usually its their surroundings, if he comes back to us im sure he will be arsed to play. And he is a proven quality CB in the EL.
    kdjac

I agreed 7 years ago stephen mcgunniess was one of the best center backs in the league , but now a days he is lazy unfit , and brings a bad morale / attitude to the team. Listen i hope he does well for you. Im just letting you know what i went through all these years :(

• Advertisement

Sarge wrote:
    I agreed 7 years ago stephen mcgunniess was one of the best center backs in the league , but now a days he is lazy unfit , and brings a bad morale / attitude to the team. Listen i hope he does well for you. Im just letting you know what i went through all these years :(

So he fitted right into the 1st Div, we have Maguire and Foley as 1st choice Caffrey and McG if he signs as back up. Suits us nicely.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Cork City have an 18 year old Australian trial, so hopefully he will be a player for us.

Nobody knew who Roy O'Donovan was last year and now look at him!

there is ment to be a germn lad going to cork or ucd, he had a kick about with my team (shamrock rover sc) just to keep fit etc and was an outstanding player really quality, we were trying to talk him into going to rovers honest. we were calling him "rainer" he played in german div 1

Thi is an odd one - Paul Connell played in Citys frienly against Kinsale the other day. He is an 18 year old aussie, who Reading could not get a work permit for, so they told him to contact CCFC and ask for a trial!

By all accounts he looks lively, a striker. He will play against Limerick on Saturday, and its expected Rico will offer him a one year deal.

If true, well done Reading - proves that there still are some nice clubs/people in modern football.

I take it its much easier to get a work permit here then? Cork are Readings unofficial new feeder club :D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Not so sure of the niceness behind it gimmick. Perhaps if he plays here for a year (on a one year contract only), Reading can sign him on a free next January if they manage to get a permit that time around, after being able to keep tabs on him for a year and see if he's worth it...

Call me cynical but...

That said, if he's a good player he's be of no harm to ye.

not friendlyness at all, that (although may work well for ye) is to get him over to england after he's worked in the eu for a year

Cork City "not in a position to compete with Drogheda finacially for Zayed"! WTF?

Kearney is officially a free agent.

I feel sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

gimmick wrote:

Kearney is officially a free agent.

I feel sick.

I feel sick too at the prospect of him joining Shels. The last thing we need is another inconsistent player who has an ego in their luggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

gimmick wrote:
    Cork City "not in a position to compete with Drogheda finacially for Zayed"! WTF?

Not really a suprise, Drogheda are being bankrolled. The only thing is Doolin sees fit to waste the money on utter dross like Keddy and Lynch.

Excellent news on the Kearney front, he's a good player who had a bad spell at Cork but was otherwise excellent, direct replacement for Wes though not as good we realistically were never going to get someone as good.

That is of course if Shels get him, Drogheda will be in the hunt too.

^ Well from what Ive heard Shels dont actually want him at the wage he is asking for, so its looking like its Drogs.

If he does go to them, I hope its in time for the Setanta Cup game in the Cross on the 27th!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Andy Myler Is a blue, is a blue, is a blue, Andy Myler is a blue, he hates Longford!

Lads I reckon we will have him back by the start of the season, talking to him on the weekend after the shane Brennan game he wanted to come back but longford were holding out for money form athlone.

I took that pic by the way.

That would be a fairly huge signing. A proven goal scorer in the premier division, so he should do well in the first.

If he doesnt go, I hope Longford fans dont get their hands on that photo.

Seaneh wrote:
    Andy Myler Is a blue, is a blue, is a blue, Andy Myler is a blue, he hates Longford!

Lads I reckon we will have him back by the start of the season, talking to him on the weekend after the shane Brennan game he wanted to come back but longford were holding out for money form athlone.

I took that pic by the way.

I remember about 4 years ago talking to a then dundalk manager Martin Murray and begging him to sign a young Andy Myler then playing season for monaghan town to sign him. He laughed then how m laughing now :(

KdjaC wrote:

Keegan is going to "commute" from Scotland every week for family reasons.
    Keegan to commute for Saints

February 8, 2006

New St Patrick’s Athletic signing Paul Keegan will commute from his Scottish home for Saints games this season.

Former Bray Wanderers, Bohemians and Longford Town ace Keegan was unveiled as one of the Inchicore side’s new signings on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old will make the unusual trek from his new home in Clydebank, Scotland to play for Pats, travelling to Dublin on Tuesday and remaining until Saturday in a typical week, but Saints boss John McDonnell has no worries on that note.

He told the Irish Sun: “Paul got married recently but his wife’s father died and she’s an only child. She wanted to move back [to Scotland] to be closer to her mother, which is natural enough.

“He’s built a house here and he’s over there in a temporary capacity and we’ll see how it goes. Paul is the type of player we needed, a link player to hold it up. We’ll have competition for places up front now. We didn’t have that last year.”

Keegan, who fired the FAI Carlsberg Cup winner for Longford Town in 2004, joins Trevor Molloy, Mark Rutherford, Lee Roche and Mark Quigley – all of whom have joined Saints from Shamrock Rovers – as the new faces in the St Pats dressing-room for the new season.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=21078

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Is it true Kearney is training with Shels ? Is him joining shels a done deal yet or just speculation ?

Long story short

City wanted Kearney to stay. He didnt want to stay. He felt Shels would take him with open arms. Shels allegedly dont have the money to meet his wage demands. He is in limbo as it stands.

Expect Drogs to make an approach.

LizardKing wrote:
    Is it true Kearney is training with Shels ? Is him joining shels a done deal yet or just speculation ?

Shels are currently in Spain so it certainly isn't true. Fenlon showed him around the place last week but thats as far as Shels have gotten involved as far as I know.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Keegan is going to "commute" from Scotland every week for family reasons.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=21078

Thankfully hes onlys s top gap till Armstrong is fit around Juneish, but he can hold the ball up and unlike Rowe and Doyle hasnt got a mad fascination for corner flags.

Everything stuck with him and was laid off nicely for Rutherford/Molloy to come onto.

kdjac

what improvment/disimprovment do you expect on last year with all the new signings? (aimed towards kdjac but open to all) i personally think us hoops will be lucky to get automatic promotion, and at that if we do i'd expect wholesale changes again next year

There is no promotion this year !

blu_sonic wrote:
    what improvment/disimprovment do you expect on last year with all the new signings? (aimed towards kdjac but open to all) i personally think us hoops will be lucky to get automatic promotion, and at that if we do i'd expect wholesale changes again next year

Top 6 finish, hopefully a Setanta cup spot tru the cups. Not gonna win them but with a bit lof luck the champions be in the final.

Dont know about Rovers, you have got some good players but Scully has issues with dealing with players. He hasnt actually finished a contract and has always fell out with someone. Assuming hes chilled out it be Rovers and Harps coming back up.

There is no promotion this year !

Noone really knows that but you cant sit on your arse and hope cos of your name you will get into the fantasy league.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Noone really knows that but you cant sit on your arse and hope cos of your name you will get into the fantasy league.
    kdjac

Dundalk naturally will get into the new league been one of the best supported teams in the country , with excellent facilties , good income coming into the club with a great youth system and of course been one of the most successful teams in ireland since the begining !

Either we go up this way , but either way we will go up this season. Dundalk shall win that league this year !

but you haven't played football in over 7 years

• Advertisement

blu_sonic wrote:
    but you haven't played football in over 7 years

what ?

Advertisement