Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caps

Options
  • 04-11-2006 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi there, just wondering if any of you use an ISP that has limits on download / upolad amounts per month. Im with Smart ( yes i at last got reconnected ! ) and they dont have any. If you have gone over these caps did you get charged for it ?........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Why?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Search the forum and reads the threads, the answer are their already

No need to post questions like this imho,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

kaizersoze wrote:
    Why?

Cause after all the grief with smart im thinkin of changing ISP.... thats why

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

- NTL have a cap and they may cut you off for going over (if you keep doing it)
    - UTV have a cap and will charge you I believe, but you can pay for a "unlimited" a/c
    - Eircom have caps, don't believe they have charged
    - BT have caps but don't believe they have charged
    - Smart have no caps and have never charged
    - BT Business have no caps whatsoever

imho your better off sticking with Smart, I know I would

Cheers cab. , guess i should stay with smart , if they'll stay in business that is, i was without Bband for just over a month ( since the eircom scenario) and they managed to change my phone number twice on re - activation ( even though i thought i could have the initial one back ... but someone messed up big time ) :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

what about digiweb?im properly getting their wireless 1mb with 126kp upload and 10gb limit

what would happen if i went over that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you get slowed down to ISDN speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

whats that?
    and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

IBB no cap!

i know a lot of ppl complain but i find them really good. And i'd be screwed if i had a cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

whats that?
    and for how long?
    ISDN is 64-128kbps, so slightly faster than dial-up. It'll be down at that speed until your usage goes low enough to bring you back below the cap again. Digiweb operate a rolling cap, so it counts your usage for the past 30 days (not by calendar month). If you break the cap you get throttled. If you stop, or severely reduce, your usage for a day or two then you should come back under your cap.

All in all, it's a fairly crap way to operate a cap as once you hit it, it'll be very hard to get it back down unless you stop using it all together.

• Advertisement

And i'd be screwed if i had a cap.

Thats what im afraid of..... but by the looks of things it seems like this wont happen if i do end up changing ISP

Advertisement