Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some new games? FPS, RTS, etc

Options
  • 04-11-2006 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I always get out of the loop with what the latest releases for the PC are?

Whats the latest fps games out atm? Any good RTS's? Any good games in fact.

The last games I played where Doom3, Quake4, FEAR and GRAW. So have there been any good games released since then?

I'm currently getting the NFS:Carbon demo to see how it is in comparison to Most Wanted.

Also where do yous check to see the latest game releases. It would be good if there was a site where you could just input the search date and game type and get a list of all the games for PC within that scope.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Well offline for fps get into Half Life 2, and other source related games on steam : www.steampowered.com

Half Life ep2 is coming out next year, and looks neat enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

ok, been there done that :D HL2 is older than the games I listed right? Well I play CSS a bit, i've also played SiN Ep1 (decent) and HL2 Ep1 (not worth it) which where alright. Has there really been no really good FPS's released lately? I think FEAR was the last semi-decent one I played :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

RTS: Company Of Heroes, one of the best games this year by far.

FPS: there's a western called Call of Jericho or something thats meant to be good, but not amazing, refreshing gameplay is one of its perks (i.e not another by the books shooter.)

EDIT: I think you may need to put New in as a big of a font as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any good online fps games like call of duty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Battlefield 2 is one of the best online fps if you havn't played it already. Cod 2 is great single player and good multi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Dark Messiah is worth a bash, but is a wee bit short for €45.
    (FPS hack and slasher with some slight RPG elements)

Dawn of War - Dark Crusade is also good form what I hear: I have a copy bought today, I have as of yet to crack open :-)

Played BF2 and CoD1 & 2 (as well as MOH:AA & PA).

I'll look into Dark Messiah, looks like a decent game, and thanks for reminding me about Dawn of War, another game which i'd forgotten about.

Oh and don't touch NFS:Carbon, even if you liked MW. Its utter bullcrap, I can't believe they gayed it up so much, the drifting is almost as bad as OutRun 2006.

So other than Crysis, there really isn't any more good fps's coming out soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Bioshock is out next year aswell and Crysis has been delayed btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm playing Prey at the moment - not bad, you'll probably like it if you're a Doom3/Quake4 fan. It's only 30 quid in gamestop, probably less online.
    F.E.A.R Extraction Point has also been recently released, but I gather there's only 4-5 hours of gameplay.

played prey, I only got around half way through it then got bored. I think I was playing Doom3, Quake4 and Prey all at around the same time and to me the gameplay is too similar and the storyline not engageing enough. I'll get back into anyway. Where can you get FEAR extraction point? That isn't the free download one is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

FEAR Combat's the free download, it's just the MP portion of FEAR.
    EP's on sale in the majority of game shops (well, I saw it in Gamestop anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Oblivion: RPG (Very good but combat lets it down)

Gothic 3: Rpg (needs a few patches though its buggy but very promising)

Neverwinter Nights 2: RPG

Company Of Heroes: Best RTS ever imho

Dark Messiah of Might And Magic: Good arcade RPG

Battlefied2142: Online FPS (Which I personally hate gimme BF2 anyday)

Next week is going to be good as the daddy of them all Medieval Total War 2 is out Friday :) yahoooooo

Oh and to a lesser extent the new Splinter Cell is out this Friday as well. If you have a new graphics card this game is sure to show it off as you can only play it if you have a shader 3.0 compatible card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

There's a demo of Double Agent rumoured to pop up on Monday or there abouts. Even on high end systems, it's supposed to decimate them. Upgradey time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

i'm playing a lot of WARSOW - it's a free open source online fps - it's basically a cellshaded quake clone but with a huge emphasis on movement and speed - there are loads of special trick jumps you can do, wall jumps, bunny hopping, etc etc, and the levels are designed to take full advantage of it... it is the only open source game to be featured on the CPL tour [it was pretty much designed from the ground up for competitive play by skilled players]

there's loads of free servers, it runs on linux and windows, it's only a 75 meg download and it runs from the .exe

for all the non violent fps heads [a contradiction in terms but bear with me] there's also a large community of warsow racers - special maps that you basically have to cross as quickly as possible and you're ranked by your best time - some of them are so fiendishly difficult that i have had no luck even doing to the first jump before dying, but it's well worth a go if you're good at fps movement, jumps etc and want a real challenge.

free download at:

www.warsow.net

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dawn of War and it's new expansion pack
    Company Of Heroes

Other than that...
    Dark Messiah
    Splinter Cell DA
    FEAR expansion pack (haven't played it yet though, waiting for my new monitor to arrive ^_^)
    NWN2 if you like RPGs

Check Eurogamer and Gamerankings regularly and you should have a fair idea of what's new and hot (and what's a steaming turd to be avoided at all costs).

Advertisement