Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse in The House

Options
  • 04-11-2006 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

This is the third incidence of finding a mouse in my house. Haven't yet reported it to my landlord, but am now thinking there is a problem with the house. My house is EXTREMELY CLEAN and I never leave the doors open. I want to move out now and was wondering if I'd get my deposit back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

is it a new development?

as long as you give the appropriate notice then you should be entitled to your deposit back, but to leave over a mouse, is a bit drastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bit drastic moving for a mouse, set traps, get a cat etc.

Moving house is a huge PITA, for a mouse it seems ott tbh.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

li wrote:
    This is the third incidence of finding a mouse in my house
    Third incidence of seeing the same mouse or did you catch the other two?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Third incidence of seeing the same mouse or did you catch the other two?

Lol- thats what I was thinking too.....

One thing- mice are fairly innocuous, especially at this time of the year. You can rest assured that if you have a mouse (or mice) that you do not have other kinds of less welcome rodents.

If you pop up to Woodies, or any of the DIY stores, you can pick up live traps- where you do not kill the mouse/mice and can release them unharmed into the open, snaptraps or poisoned bait.

The best way to get rid of mice is to give them a bad headache. You can pickup a pack of 6 ultrasonic deterents for about 30-40 Euro. Its probably the most humane way to sort out your little problem.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 li

I caught the other two! Caught this one yesterday. It is the third mouse in a year, not sighting. I don't think it's drastic, I have an 18 month old daughter and there are mouse droppings around the house which she'd be playing with or even eating. This is the third time I've had to completely sterilise all her toys etc. I don't want my daughter getting a disease from these mice. I've slept out in my mothers the last two nights, i'm terrified of the mouse going near my daughter in her sleep. It's really starting to get to me.
    The house is about 5 years old. I'd just be happy now to move out, get my deposit back and rent somewhere else. I rented a house before for 3 years and never saw even one mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

li wrote:
    I caught the other two! Caught this one yesterday. It is the third mouse in a year, not sighting. I don't think it's drastic, I have an 18 month old daughter and there are mouse droppings around the house which she'd be playing with or even eating. This is the third time I've had to completely sterilise all her toys etc. I don't want my daughter getting a disease from these mice. I've slept out in my mothers the last two nights, i'm terrified of the mouse going near my daughter in her sleep. It's really starting to get to me.
    The house is about 5 years old. I'd just be happy now to move out, get my deposit back and rent somewhere else. I rented a house before for 3 years and never saw even one mouse.
    While I know it's difficult for some people to accept but mice are rather harmless. I wouldn't worry about sterilising toys etc. Your daughter needs to build up a resistance to infection and you won't do this by sterilising everything. I rented a room onetime and caught 18 mice in two days! I'm open to correction on this but I don't think mice are dirtier than any pet. At least when you have mice, you know that you don't have rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

It's common for the time of year tbh. Just because you have a mouse or mice doesn't mean that the house is dirty. They just tend to head towards the heat. No matter how well you think the house is sealed, they'll ALWAYS get in. I'd be more bothered if you had a rat. I don't think moving will solve the problem because you'll probably always end up with a mouse in the house at some stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They always come indoors this time of year to hibernate in teh warmth , I set about 10 traps every october ( big house :p) and if there is nothing in them by christmas I store them up till the following october .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 li

smccarrick wrote:

One thing- mice are fairly innocuous, especially at this time of the year. You can rest assured that if you have a mouse (or mice) that you do not have other kinds of less welcome rodents.

If you pop up to Woodies, or any of the DIY stores, you can pick up live traps- where you do not kill the mouse/mice and can release them unharmed into the open, snaptraps or poisoned bait.

The best way to get rid of mice is to give them a bad headache. You can pickup a pack of 6 ultrasonic deterents for about 30-40 Euro. Its probably the most humane way to sort out your little problem.

Shane

Do the ultrasonic deterents work 100%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

One word EXTERMINATOR … I caught one in my third floor apartment three weeks ago, rang the management company – they paid for one to come out, he left poison in inconspicuous places and came back two weeks later – haven’t head from them since! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Lots of houses get mice, its not really a reason to move out!
    Chances are putting down a few traps will sort it out but if you don't want to do that then talk to the landlord and ask him/her about getting some pest control company in to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

smccarrick wrote: »

Shane

Where can you buy these ultrasonci thingys?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lux23 wrote: »
    Where can you buy these ultrasonci thingys?

Dunnes Stores in Stephen's Green had a JML stand with ones which came with a blue night-light on them for about EUR 29 each- but you can pop into most hardware stores and pick them up (various different models and strengths) for between 15 and 50 Euro. Woodies have at least 4 different ones- their competitors doubtless have other ones too. I've no reason to believe that one make or model is better than any other.

Ps- don't use these if you have a pet guinnea pig...... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Hey, chill out. Having mice in your house does not mean your place is dirty. They move into my parents house every year despite it being clean, no food hanging about etc. We just put down poison (not in the house, outside - hoping that they won't die in our attic), kill the critters and life goes on. Simple.

Take the advice of the other posters and get a trap or one of those deterrent thingies. Who's to say that you won't get them in your new place if you move?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ps- don't use these if you have a pet guinnea pig...... :(
    Or someone with sensative hearing. I didn't sleep for nearly 3 weeks. :mad:

Advertisement