Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thermostat for heating

Options
  • 04-11-2006 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

hi all,
    We have an oil heating system but it has no thermostat on it, i am thinking about putting a thermostat on it myself and am wondering is it just as simple as putting the thermostat on the wire between the timer and the boiler. And is this the sort of thing needed.
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=84704&ts=51666

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Dermot, if you're going to get one, get a digital timer/thermostat, a little more expensive but much more accuarate than the analog ones. They cost about €60. Try RS in Crumlin. They have a good selection

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

thanks for the reply
    I wanted to have the timer in the kithchen and the thermostat in the hall would a digital one allow this and is there such thing as a digital thermostat without a time all that i can find are like this
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOSTAT7.html?utm_source=kelkoo

Would this be the sort of thermostat needed or does this one have a timer with it (the first one)
    Thanks
    http://www.heatmiser.co.uk/domestic.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Dermot2468 wrote:
    is it just as simple as putting the thermostat on the wire between the timer and the boiler.

Basically, yes - it is that simple. Make sure you get one for the correct voltage as there are some low voltage thermostats for some systems although these are relatively rare.

You could also get a digital programmable thermostat. This one has a 7 day program with 6 programs per day and you can alos set the desired temperature for each program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Dermot2468 wrote:
    hi all,
    We have an oil heating system but it has no thermostat on it, i am thinking about putting a thermostat on it myself and am wondering is it just as simple as putting the thermostat on the wire between the timer and the boiler. And is this the sort of thing needed.
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=84704&ts=51666

thanks in advance
    There are lot of different types of thermostats, even wireless ones.
    One point: I would wire the boiler directly to the timeswitch and the thermostat between the timeswitch and the waterpump. The boiler stays hot as long as you have the timeswitch on, and there is hot water for the rads the minute the stat calls for it.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

to be honest they are pretty useless
    much better off with thermostatic radiator valves
    Basically that gives you a stat in every room.

The basic hall thermostat is never accurate to what temp you want your house to be, or the temp you want certain rooms to be

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies there is a lot to consider there
    JamesM wrote:
    There are lot of different types of thermostats, even wireless ones.

One point: I would wire the boiler directly to the timeswitch and the thermostat between the timeswitch and the waterpump. The boiler stays hot as long as you have the timeswitch on, and there is hot water for the rads the minute the stat calls for it.

Jim.
    Would this not make it inefficent as the boiler would be constantly at 70c even if it is not heating anything, i could be wrong but would it not make more sence to have the pump controlled by the timer and the boiler controlled by the thermostat.

Also is there such thing as a digital timer with a wireless thermostat.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Dermot2468 wrote:
    Would this not make it inefficent as the boiler would be constantly at 70c even if it is not heating anything.
    If you have your timeswitch on, you want heat. It does not take much oil or gas to keep the boiler at a constant temp, if the water is not circulating away from it. And the minute the thermostat calls for heat, it is available.
    i could be wrong but would it not make more sence to have the pump controlled by the timer and the boiler controlled by the thermostat.
    If you do it this way, when the stat switches off, the pump keeps circulating cold water around the system. This will cool down any hot water in your hot water cylinder.
    The main reason for the way I suggested, is to keep a constant heat in the room, or area controlled by the stat.
    Imagine, your way, if the room heats up to the required temp. The stat switches off the boiler, the boiler cools down (it could be off for 20 or 30 mins) then the stat calls for heat again and the boiler starts to heat up. It will be another 10 or 20 mins before the room comes back to the required temp.

Also consider what GreeBo said, although if they don't have a remote sensor, thermostatic valves are not that accurate at keeping a room at a constant temp.
    Jim.

thanks for the reply jim,
    I will consider doing that wiring it the way you said as it makes sense now. Does anyone know if digital thermostats would be available in a builder providers or plumbing store in the midlands, or would i be better to buy it online.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You would probably be better off getting the stat from an electrical supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The one I mentioned above should be available from C&F Quadrant in Cherry Orchard Industrial Estate, Ballyfermot. If they don't have I'm sure they can order it quickly. More Info.

You can also order it online from Heatmerchants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'll make a few enquiries about the Honeywell unit as I am working for them. Not for that particular division, but I'll ask where they can be got locally

Thanks very much for the help.

Advertisement