Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Error loading OS" Help!

• 04-11-2006 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Just turned on my machine that's been working fine, to get "Error loading OS" on a black screen!

I've not installed or changed anything, hardware or software during last working session.

I've tried the Recovery Console - ran fixboot and fixmbr commands - both ran fine but fixed nothing. When in the Recovery console, I can 'dir' all the files - they seem intact, it just won't boot.

OS is on a RAID 0 volume on the on-board RAID controller of an Intel D875PBZ mobo.
    :(
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Safe mode? If nothing else it might tell you where along the line its stopping, and thus what file is causing problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try Step-by-Step mode, where you select the each file to load manually and see which file is causing the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

I'm not even getting that far. There's no OS detected to go into safe mode...

Any other suggestions?

I've tried doing a 'bootcfg /rebuild' from Recovery Console, but no joy.

I've read about doing a partial re-installation and usign a copy of my boot.ini file - I'm not too anxious to try that yet.

Anyone able to shed any light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

did u try to boot to a windows cd and do a repair from there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well the fact that recovery console works and lets you see the files, suggests that the RAID controller is OK (or at least not totally screwed). You may want to read the manual or some resource about the RAID controller. Afaik, some controllers supply the MBR themselves, whereas others let the discs sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Go through XP install like your about to install it but don't. There is a repair option there if you press R. It'll just copy over all the windows files again and should fix the problem.

Probably a random windows error. Did you shut down properly when you turned it off last? Maybe something managed to happen then, don't ask me how though. Random windows errors are a mystery to everyone including Ms.

Turned out to be a BIOS issue!
    The boot sequence was screwed up - how I don't know!

I've a couple of RAID controllers and it was trying to boot from the wrong one.

How does the BIOS settings change without manually changing them???

Very weid, but sorted. Thanks all for the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SwampThing wrote:
    How does the BIOS settings change without manually changing them???
    If the battery is low or dead, the BIOS settings can sometimes revert to default.

Advertisement