Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jethro Tull

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I really need to get me some Jethro Tull CDs at some stage, Ian Anderson is a madman. :D

Personally ive never liked Jethro Tull since they won a Grammy over Metallica for best Metal Performance. Industry gob****es.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I don't have any albums, but I like their popular songs (Aqualung, Locomotive Breath, Thick as a brick). There's something beautiful about a rocking song breaking into a crazy flute solo.
    EDIT: Just clicked the link and saw it's locomotive breath. Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Tull are awesome. Aqualung and Thick As A Brick are two of the best prog rock albums going. And you're right Crucifix the folk influnces are excellent and really refreshing. If you heard about the band before actually hearing their material you'd think "How would that work?" but when you finally get around to them you see that it does - seamlessly.

THAT flute solo on "My God" for example - brilliant!

Motley Crue, people like you need to gain a little perspective. Time and time again I hear people complaining about the Metallica incident but did it ever occur to them to actually listen to Tull objectively and not pre-judge them because of something that wasn't under their control?

Get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

AlanOB wrote:
    Motley Crue, people like you need to gain a little perspective. Time and time again I hear people complaining about the Metallica incident but did it ever occur to them to actually listen to Tull objectively and not pre-judge them because of something that wasn't under their control?

Im a big Metallica fan but I agree with you 100% percent, well put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Jetro Tull ftw one of the bands my parents were into so I grew up listening to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVpZ3vpVWg
    "The flute is a heavy, metal instrument!"
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Tull rock, the only false move for me was when they went a bit too pastoral in the late 70s, but picked up again later.

Thick As A Brick is a cunning masterwork, a concept album that is a spoof of a concept album.

If anyone wants a good overview of Tull then the 20 Years double album is cheap but effective place to start.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

If there were a soundtrack to my life, Tull would be one of the bands on it. Awesome stuff, and it still sounds good after thousands of repeated listenings.
    Too bad Ian lost so much of the resonance in his voice in later years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj9i0zrq_iU&mode=related&search=

Edit: too pastoral? Do you mean Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses? I love those!

Edit2:Interesting use of a delay pedal on his vocals to give himself a 'chorus' -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71HWIMV-5sU&mode=related&search=

Now this is how Locomotive Breath should sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHrdgtADpt0

Mike.

Agreed!

Haaaalp! I can't stop myself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j85N0rVryo8

Song for Jeffery from 1968 (Rolling Stones TV special)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUT_BFjd_o

Mike.

• Advertisement

Great stuff from the Mick Abrams/Glenn Cornick 'blues' period. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

mike65 wrote:
    Song for Jeffery from 1968 (Rolling Stones TV special)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUT_BFjd_o

Mike.
    I loved that video so much, and then I found out it was mimed. Even more disappointing is that it's the only Tull footage that exists with Tony Iommi and he's not even playing, just posing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Karl,,,
    ..ahh goood man getting into Tull my second fave band after RUSH -A SUPERB MUSICAL OUTFIT, real class outfit who are all sharp as heck players...have more or less all the albums.,, never get tired of em....rush tull etc bands like that...much of their music is timelsss and they never seem to grow tedious unlike many others.
    Motley Crew..utter bolloney my lad,,,if yu ever HEARD the album "Crest Of A Wave" you'd realise it was a superb rocking album and was entitled to win that Grammy albeit a surprise winner as TULL like RUSH etc have NEVERRRRRR been "music industry" types...both bands oddly enough are similar in that they always avoided all that bull and have no interest in the "music industry machine" or it's cronies, or the "rollin stone" mag folks etc etc....so yeahh maybe listen to em before yu weep about poor ol metalicca gettin their as's whipped by some ol' boys! :D

ciao' amigos...Baggio.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Speaking of the whole prog rock thing, you ever listen to Camel, Baggio? They're definetly a favourite of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

karl....
    ...yu know i think i did years ago a pal of mine had a goood bit of theirs but none since so cant quite remember them but yeah ther's a whole bunch who were sort of around the same time "arena rock" outfits,,kansas,boston, camel, blue oyster cult, gentle giant the list goes on :)

ciao' amigo...Bgagio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Baggio wrote:
    karl....
    ...yu know i think i did years ago a pal of mine had a goood bit of theirs but none since so cant quite remember them but yeah ther's a whole bunch who were sort of around the same time "arena rock" outfits,,kansas,boston, camel, blue oyster cult, gentle giant the list goes on :)

ciao' amigo...Bgagio...

Yeah, there's quite a few bands from that era that I listen to, like King Crimson, Yes and ELP to name a few. Camel are fantastic though, they really created an amazing soundscape, and if you're into Jethro Tull, Camel mainman Andy Latimer is an excellent flute player aswell. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I must listen to Thick as a Brick tonight, I love that album!

Anyway, this hasn't been posted yet, so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tZ2diDLr7o

"Sitting on a park bench...."

Classic :D

Dirty bugger! You just knew he had evil intent. ;)

Slighty OT but as its 70s prog rock we're on about, can anyone tell me who did a tune which I think is called "Who do you think you are" which features a splendid high speed organ dominated middle-eight (and no I'm not thinking of Purples "Who you we think we are?"). The emphisis was on the WHO DO YOU words in the chorus. It also features some female vocals.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Jethro Tull are great, has anyone heard Bourée?? Great flute part, and the bass lines real slick. Stand Up is my favourite of their albums I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Mike, I think that's the Spice Girls:D (seriously)

Tull are pretty cool alright, saw them in Dec 2001 in the Point, good gig full of grey haired rawkers:D

One of my fave songs by them is "Moths", very cool but not very popular.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    Mike, I think that's the Spice Girls:D (seriously)

...Or Jean Knight's 1970-ish "Mr. Big Stuff", a fine funky piece of R&B....not prog tho....

"Mr. Big Stuff.....who do you think you are?
    Mr. Big Stuff.....you're never gonna get my love...."

I have it on tape, I may just stream a section to HD and mp3 it so you can listen.

Mike.

Advertisement