Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog Lights v Driving Lights ?

Options
  • 04-11-2006 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

As in the title, I want to determine weather having and using fog lights is legal or not. Not looking for opinions on use, just the fact if known and any reference if available.

Want to make sure I'm on the right side of the law with regard to them.

thanks
    Howard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Please God no! Not another fog light thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Howard wrote:
    Want to make sure I'm on the right side of the law with regard to them.

thanks
    Howard

Well you're required by law to drive with due care and consideration for other users, so if you use them when it's not foggy, then yes you are breaking the law.

Oh, and not another fog light thread :) Let's talk about fog horns instead. Who has fog horns attached to their cars? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

yeah sorry, first search didn't find anything, but i've flippen tons of answers now. Feel welcome to delete the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

hshortt wrote:
    yeah sorry, first search didn't find anything, but i've flippen tons of answers now. Feel welcome to delete the thread.

I was going to start a thread about 'Fog Lights v Driving Lights' so instead I will post the question here......

My understanding of Fog Lights is that they are always placed low in a car's bumper to use in foggy conditions. Fine.

However, I now see that Hella supply 'Driving Lights' which are also placed low in a car's bumper?????

So how can anybody tell the difference between fog lights and 'driving lights' ???

N.B. - For the record I hate when people drive around with their fogs lights on (in normal weather). They are creating a further hazard (glare) for oncoming drivers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I will never understand the muppets that drive around with their useless 5W parking lights + blazing fog lights all the time.

• Advertisement

hshortt wrote:
    I want to determine weather having and using fog lights is legal or not

Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963

44. (1) Every lamp (other than a lamp referred to in sub-article (3) of this article) which is fitted to a mechanically propelled vehicle or trailer and which, when lit, shows a light to the front of the vehicle shall be so fitted that—

(a) no part of its illuminated surface is more than 4 feet or, in the case of a goods vehicle registered before the 1st day of January, 1952, 4 feet and 6 inches from the ground, and

(b) (except in the case of a fog lamp) no part of its illuminated surface is less than 1 foot and 8 inches from the ground.

(2) In sub-article (1) of this article, "fog lamp" means a lamp fitted to a vehicle so as, when lit, to show a light to the front of the vehicle and intended for use only in fog or while snow is falling.
    Silvera wrote:
    My understanding of Fog Lights is that they are always placed low in a car's bumper to use in foggy conditions. Fine.
    If they are below 1 foot 8 inches from the ground they are, by definition fog lights (see highlighted above). If they are placed above 1 foot 8 inches then they cannot legally be referred to as fog lights.

Stephen wrote:
    I will never understand the muppets that drive around with their useless 5W parking lights + blazing fog lights all the time.
    They must think it's cool especially when they have those silly coloured parking lights.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

44. (1) Every lamp (other than a lamp referred to in sub-article (3) of this article) which is fitted to a mechanically propelled vehicle or trailer and which, when lit, shows a light to the front of the vehicle shall be so fitted that—

(a) no part of its illuminated surface is more than 4 feet or, in the case of a goods vehicle registered before the 1st day of January, 1952, 4 feet and 6 inches from the ground, and

(b) (except in the case of a fog lamp) no part of its illuminated surface is less than 1 foot and 8 inches from the ground.

(2) In sub-article (1) of this article, "fog lamp" means a lamp fitted to a vehicle so as, when lit, to show a light to the front of the vehicle and intended for use only in fog or while snow is falling.

If they are below 1 foot 8 inches from the ground they are, by definition fog lights (see highlighted above). If they are placed above 1 foot 8 inches then they cannot legally be referred to as fog lights.
    It's all as clear as mud if you ask me. My reading of the regulations is as follows:
    Only a fog lamp, and no other lamp, may be placed less than 1' 8" above the ground but I can't find anywhere a stipulation that says fog lights must be less than 1' 8". As far as I can make out they could be up to 4' high but no higher.
    Also the does the phrase "intended for use only in fog or while snow is falling" actually place a prohibition on their use at other times? Does intended use imply an offence if used otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

My current car has "fog lights" in the lower part of the bumper with a seperate switch to turn them on, all normal I hear you say, yes!

My last car (pug 106 gti) had driving lights, these were in the same lower part of the bumper but only came on when full head lights were used.

Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Thanks very much for a superb answer, it's a little 'foggy' on the details :rolleyes: There is no clear #Only use in fog or falling snow# or #Don't use otherwise# in the statement. But it's clear enough for me.

Cheers
    Howard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the law uses the word 'intended' and is therefore left a bit vague IMO.

Only a fog lamp, and no other lamp, may be placed less than 1' 8" above the ground but I can't find anywhere a stipulation that says fog lights must be less than 1' 8". As far as I can make out they could be up to 4' high but no higher.

In simple language, the law states that ALL front lights may be no higher that 4 feet. They may NOT be lower that 1 foot 8 inches with the exception of fog lights which can be as low as you like.

In the NCT manual fog lights, spot lights etc. are referred to as 'Auxiliary Lights'.

Because they are not a legal requirement they are only tested to ensure that they are correctly positioned, securely mounted, correctly alligned and white or yellow. In the case of some, they are checked to ensure that they extinguish when the main beam is dipped.

The NCT manual stipulates that top of the auxiliary headlamps (e.g. long range driving lights) must be at a maximum height of 4' (1220mm) and the bottom at a minimum height of 1'8" (500mm). There is no lower minimum height given for fog lights.

The bank of lights that many heavy trucks and pick-ups have at the top of the cab are also illegal. They jusy disconnect them prior to putting the vehicle through the DOE test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Driving lights (auxilliary lights) only come on with full beam. They're intended to give a better field of view (so are usually very long, thin beams, or very short, wide beams)

Fog lights are for use in fog, and *should* be aimed wide & short. If aimed anywhere else, they'll blind you, reflecting off the fog/snow.

There are different tests for the two types in the NCT.

Basically, if you can switch the lights on from any other setting than full beam, you haven't got "driving" lights.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

mmenarry wrote:
    if you can switch the lights on from any other setting than full beam, you haven't got "driving" lights.
    M.

Well put, I hope all the muppets with feckin Micras/Focus who how those feckin lights on when they dip turn them off after reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Being one of those "muppets" but with a Ssangyong Rexton not a Micra I take exception

I drive always with dipped headlights AND front fog lamps on , day and night :cool: with the knowledge that every other bl**dy muppet on the road will at least be sure to see me.

If ya dont like it --- tough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

joeblogg1 wrote:

Thats illegal, you are not familiar with the rules of the road.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What a nice guy, at least he admits to being a muppet!

I know in the UK drivers with fog lamps on in non foggy weather conditions will receive a fine. Simple law, why aren't we doing the same here?

As an aside, I know from experience front fog lamps in heavy falling snow will do nothing but reflect the light back at the driver and blind him :eek: All you will see are pretty white flakes and if your lucky, an obstacle, as you slide effortlessly into it.

Dyflin wrote:
    As an aside, I know from experience front fog lamps in heavy falling snow will do nothing but reflect the light back at the driver and blind him :eek: All you will see are pretty white flakes and if your lucky, an obstacle, as you slide effortlessly into it.

Heavy Snow + Ireland : Never happens so why bring it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

joeblogg1 wrote:
    Being one of those "muppets" but with a Ssangyong Rexton not a Micra I take exception

I drive always with dipped headlights AND front fog lamps on , day and night :cool: with the knowledge that every other bl**dy muppet on the road will at least be sure to see me.

Are the lights on the Ssangyong that bad?
    If the "muppets" can't see a yoke that size bearing down on them, they need a new dog.

It BeeMee wrote:
    Are the lights on the Ssangyong that bad?
    If the "muppets" can't see a yoke that size bearing down on them, they need a new dog.

Thanks I needed a good bl**dy laugh today and your reply did the trick

I think that the muppets guide dogs cannot see out due to the size of the furry dice attached to the rear view mirror on the Micra or else when I'm behind them their vision is impaired by the rear spoiler on the Micra which has been thoughtfully loaned from the Starship Enterprice by Jean Luc Picard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

I drove down on the N3 from Enniskillen this morning and in places there was heavy fog/light fog and no fog. Not once was I blinded by anyone’s fog lights.

I think if anything you posters who complain about people driving with fog lights on should be more concerned about those drivers who drive in bad conditions without ANY lights on and there were a good few of them this morning! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I use mine quite regluarly as I never seem to be dazzled by other road users using them. Maybe those of you that don't like them should not look at them while driving. :D

endplate wrote:
    I use mine quite regluarly as I never seem to be dazzled by other road users using them.

Surely you've a better excuse than that?

It BeeMee wrote:
    Surely you've a better excuse than that?

Nope don't need an excuse. It's simple don't look at other cars head/fog lights and nobody will be dazzled.

Oh and it is more worrying that some people don't even turn on any lights in poor conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

endplate wrote:
    Nope don't need an excuse. It's simple...

Why is there confusion here, its illegal, it's in the rule book, do you people have full licenses?

"When in doubt, use your headlamps (dipped or main beam, as appropriate). Fog lights should only be used during fog and should be turned off at all other times."

I have seen Gardai pull over people who drive around with their fog lights on when they shouldn't have them on (front and back ones)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Could a moderator please create a Foglights Good Foglights Bad template for situations like this? It'd save a lot of time.

lightening wrote:
    I have seen Gardai pull over people who drive around with their fog lights on when they shouldn't have them on (front and back ones)
    I've never seen that happen (unfortunately), though when I was stopped at a checkpoint once I asked the guard to tell the car behind me to turn off his foglights.

There was rumours at once stage it would become a points offence : pity that was never followed through. They'd make a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yawn

It seems a shame to have fog lights on the car and not been able to use cos of a few law enforcers on this forum say so:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If you like I could come round and smash your fog lights for you :)

Advertisement