Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog Lights v Driving Lights ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Stark wrote:
    If you like I could come round and smash your fog lights for you :)

Is that the best arguement you can come up with ohh I'm scared no wait I'm not I think I'll use my fog lights again tomorrow. Tell you what if you can figure out which car I'm driving you can try and smash them you big brave boy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

endplate wrote:
    Is that the best arguement you can come up

Is that the best troll you can come up with :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Dyflin wrote:

I know in the UK drivers with fog lamps on in non foggy weather conditions will receive a fine. Simple law, why aren't we doing the same here?

Oh, I long for the day...

Stark wrote:
    Is that the best troll you can come up with :)

;) if you say so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Mojito wrote:
    I drove down on the N3 from Enniskillen this morning and in places there was heavy fog/light fog and no fog. Not once was I blinded by anyone’s fog lights.

I think if anything you posters who complain about people driving with fog lights on should be more concerned about those drivers who drive in bad conditions without ANY lights on and there were a good few of them this morning! :eek:

I go for a walk around the town every night around 9 pm and almost every night I have to gesticulate wildly to get the attention of a driver who is driving around oblivious to the fact that they have forgotten to put on their lights.

I travel every evening home along the M50 behind trucks with rubbish liughts or cars with all the bulbs or fuses gone so they have no lights at the back

People in this country drive almost every day in poor visibility but never seem to check if their lights work

There was talk some time ago about making the use f dipped lights mandatory 24/7 and I think that this is a good idea.

As for front fog lamps I still maintain that they do no harm but make the vehicle more visible , particularly over the Irish winter months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

joeblogg1 wrote:
    As for front fog lamps I still maintain that they do no harm

What ever you maintain is irrelevant, its illegal. And illegal for a reason.

Exactly.
    I must be imagining all those cars dazzing me with their fogs on when it's not foggy, and the SUV's blinding me with their fogs from behind. :rolleyes:

You're quite correct, it's illegal FOR A REASON.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

allright after talking to a few of my trucker buddies about them driving with their fog lights on i have come to a few conclusions. Some are driving with them on because "it looks cool" These are usually the truckers that have so much rubbish in their windows that they wouldn't be able to tell if they were on or not cos they cant see out the windscreen anyway. The other type like that warm glow that shines four feet around them. I was told if there weren't so many potholes on the road then they wouldn't need them. I say to those drivers that by the time the fog lights have picked out something that the ordinary dipped headlights havn't shown up then at any speed over 30 mph - they have already driven over it! I flippen hate fog lights. It seems the smaller the car the worse they are eg micra! One driver i spoke to however, told me that while driving in France one day with his fog lights on he was pulled over my the cops and made pay 200 euro on the spot fine for having them on. Personally i think that they do dazzle my sensitive eyes. I can ignore them to some extent when driving, however when i am joining a main road from a minor junction and a car is apprroaching with his fog lights on ( in particular from my right) i have to be even more careful ( because fog lights are not dipped) that i am not lamped out of seeing a cyclist or pedestrian coming towards me. Nuff said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

On my way home from work to Lucan today there was a Garda check point on both sides of the road. 3 cars had their fog lights and I had my front ones on I didn't get pulled over and they didn't get pulled over.

I'd bet more people are blinded by drivers who have there dipped lights adjusted to the highest setting than someone driving with there fog lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Driving up from Cork to Dublin this evening, the lights coming against me were a nightmare. I had to slow way down in order to see bends that were coming up. I wonder how many cases of drivers going off the road/crashing into trees etc. are due to drivers being blinded by oncoming lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Stark wrote:
    Driving up from Cork to Dublin this evening, the lights coming against me were a nightmare. I had to slow way down in order to see bends that were coming up. I wonder how many cases of drivers going off the road/crashing into trees etc. are due to drivers being blinded by oncoming lights.

were these front fog lights ? and in answer to your question, i would say very few......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Bottom line here folks - Front fog lights are for FOG! get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

...Or this pr!ck this morning on M50 who drove like a w@nker and when I flashed him beacause he nearly took the front of my car off put his fog light on from the start of the M50 until the toll (when I let someone in front of me and was no longer directly behind him). So what precisely is the mentality of a tool like this :confused:

But he's driving a JEEP, silly! He can drive how he wants cos he's BIGGER ( inset caveman sound here...).

@Oleras: Sorry, you're wrong. the fogs are the worst offenders, particularly when one is on a bend, and the oncoming vehicle has fogs on. The angle makes the dazzing worse. Not all fogs dazzle, but a strong percentage do. Have some cinsideration, PLEASE, and turn them off, and don't resort to telling people they're imagining it, or wrong, or whatever. People here have told you they affect their driving, so is it too much to ask?
    Sheesh!

overdriver wrote:
    But he's driving a JEEP, silly! He can drive how he wants cos he's BIGGER ( inset caveman sound here...).

@Oleras: Sorry, you're wrong. the fogs are the worst offenders, particularly when one is on a bend, and the oncoming vehicle has fogs on. The angle makes the dazzing worse. Not all fogs dazzle, but a strong percentage do. Have some cinsideration, PLEASE, and turn them off, and don't resort to telling people they're imagining it, or wrong, or whatever. People here have told you they affect their driving, so is it too much to ask?
    Sheesh!

Please amuse me and point out where i am "wrong" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

oleras wrote:
    were these front fog lights ? and in answer to your question, i would say very few......

Well I'd imagine that not many drivers are blinded by oncoming REAR fog lights :rolleyes:

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Well I'd imagine that not many drivers are blinded by oncoming REAR fog lights :rolleyes:

said it before and ill say it again, nearly 13 years of driving and get worse glare from xenon bulbs than front fog lights.....must be my eyes......:rolleyes:

oleras wrote:
    said it before and ill say it again, nearly 13 years of driving and get worse glare from xenon bulbs than front fog lights.....must be my eyes......:rolleyes:

100% agree with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

oleras wrote:

I agree with this too and also drivers leaving on there full head lights.

When people complain about fog lights its normally the rear fog lights they complain about as these are up to 30 times brighter than normal rear lights and can block out when the car with them on is breaking because of the glare. That is why most new cars have 2 fog light settings one for the front and one for the rear.

Even the Gatster picture's are of rear fog lights

Front fog lights beams are aimed low and wide, so if you are blinded by every front fog light you see. You're either lying or have a problem with your eyes.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

endplate wrote:
    100% agree with you

Very Annoying Very Annoying

• Advertisement

I was driving on a 2 lane carraigeway tonight and I was observing a car in my door mirror (no tint) that their front fog lights were not causing me any issues with glare. When the car passed I laughed as it was a Garda traffic corp car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

oleras wrote:

Same here. The day I get blinded by fogs is the day I stop using mine.

Can't wait till I get my new car in January. It'll have Fogs and xenons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Calibos wrote:
    With respect, that is an utterly egocentric thing to say.

Calibos wrote:

Can't wait till I get my new car in January. It'll have Fogs and xenons :D

For the record, i dont use mine under normal driving conditions, car looks good enough without them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

overdriver wrote:

@Oleras: Sorry, you're wrong. the fogs are the worst offenders, particularly when one is on a bend, and the oncoming vehicle has fogs on. The angle makes the dazzing worse.

Back this up with fact..

Cant say fogs have ever blinded me, but i guess if your vision is really poor it might.

How, exactly, do you suggest I do that?
    I am speaking from my personal experience of course. Next time I go out, I'll bring an optomotrist to check my eyes for some posters here, and a physicist for the people who want me to check the angles.
    Fair's fair, like.

IT'S ILLEGAL, SO PLEASE STOP!

How hard is this concept?

oleras wrote:
    Please amuse me and point out where i am "wrong" ?
    Apologies - misread your post.

overdriver wrote:
    How, exactly, do you suggest I do that?
    I am speaking from my personal experience of course. Next time I go out, I'll bring an optomotrist to check my eyes for some posters here, and a physicist for the people who want me to check the angles.
    Fair's fair, like.

IT'S ILLEGAL, SO PLEASE STOP!

How hard is this concept?

Yeah do that but id suggest a surveyor to measure the angles.

I'll make the call...

• Advertisement

Yeah but watch out when your doin the test that you dont crash and kill yourself, the optomotrist or the surveyor.

Advertisement