Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Music Metal in Dublin - Bargains

• 04-11-2006 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So what do people think is the best Metal Store in Dublin overall, in terms of trades, 2nd hand merchandise, quality and quantity of selection and of course price and customer satisfaction coupled with staff knowledge?

As well as that, what bargins have you picked up in the past from Dublins and Irelands Metal stores?

Best Rock/Metal Store in Dublin 27 votes

Sentinel Records
    0% 0 votes
    Soundcellar
    40% 11 votes
    Freebird Records
    40% 11 votes
    Deadline Records
    0% 0 votes
    Rythmn Records
    0% 0 votes
    City Discs
    0% 0 votes
    HMV
    3% 1 vote
    Tower Records
    0% 0 votes
    Golden Discs
    11% 3 votes
    Other
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Sentinel's my port of call usually. Mainly because being below a clothes shop is just too kvlt for words. Right beside the central emo hangout too. WOW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'll say SoundCellar, as anytime I've gone in, the staff are cool, there's always some excellent music playing, if unsure of a band, they proberly be able to say if its any good, or if its like such-and-such an album. That, and its the place I've gotten most of my metal over the past number of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭billsteersnose

Yeah, I have to agree with the_syco. Soundcellar is my favorite too. And there's no messing' around with price either. All new CDs are X amount (20 euro I think). And they know what they're talking about too.
    Go into HMV and ask someone what the new Opeth album is like and they'll look around nervously and point quickly to the 'O' section under Rock/Pop and run off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The Sound Cellar is great. Tommy Tighe knows what's what.....! Also, it's a great place for buying concert tickets cos they let book a ticket for a gig and pay it off bit by bit, which is cool.....!

There is ONE drawback, though......with it being an underground shop, it is ****ing IMPOSSIBLE to get into it if you use a wheelchair.....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

City Discs is my favorite if you have the patience to look about. Bargains to be found. Sounds Cellar is overpriced with a great selection of stuff. One of the guys working there is a nob too. In all the years i've been going in there he has never been helpful at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Used to go to Soundcellar for a few years, but I got tired of paying 20-22 quid for CDs :\

I've paid no more than €13 for any of the cds I bought in Sentinel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

MasterOfSolos is spot on. I don't see how people can possibly go to the Sound Cellar and pay anywhere between €20-25 for a CD when they're more than likely able to pick it up in Sentinel for cheaper. I'm not just talking about a difference of €2-3 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i still havent been into the new sentinal location as i dont get to Dublin much nor do i know dublin very well either.
    can someone give me a fools guide as to how to get there and what shops are near it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Well as an old man, I shop around, wherever I can buy it the cheapest thats where I get it - either online, HMV, Soundcellar or Sentinel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Being a poor student means I have to do the same. Go 'wan getting Blackwater Park new for a fiver in HMV. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Sentinel Records is now located around the corner from the old place. 4 Upper Fownes Street.. 4 doors down from the Foggy Dew pub opposite the side of the central bank in the basement of Flip clothes shop. Still haven't managed to get the sign up but should be this week. phone (01) 6351589 e-mail: sales@sentinelireland.com or visit www.sentinelrecords.com or www.myspace.com/sentinelrecords

thanks for that. i know the Foggy Dew quite well......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

The Sound Cellar is great. Tommy Tighe knows what's what.....!

LOL!

Sentinel for the win.Scobes will usually try order something in if you want it, an has better merch and better selection of CDs and Irish metal.With SoundCellar, its usually, me: "Have you got blahblah blah?" , him" Yeeeeeeeeee-Nope..", me: "Can you order it in?", him: "Nope".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Vinylmaniac

Hi there

I'm a Vinyl collector from Switzerland and I tried to find some infos about Irish bands (like Assassin, Killer Watt, Terminus 5, Trojan) - anyone can help?

Thanx

Vinylmaniac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Agent Steel

Hi Vinylmaniac. You should post that message over at the Metal Ireland forums - http://www.metalireland.com/forums - there are people there who know those bands very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DOD Crew

Hi there

I'm a Vinyl collector from Switzerland and I tried to find some infos about Irish bands (like Assassin, Killer Watt, Terminus 5, Trojan) - anyone can help?

Thanx

Vinylmaniac

Or check the Irish section on http://www.metal-archives.com/

Advertisement