Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

affordable housing waiting list

Options
  • 04-11-2006 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Does anybody know rougly how many people are on the affordable housing waiting list for Fingal??Would they tell me if they rang up??How long of a wait is it normally after approval that you get your first offer??or if anyone knows of any up and coming developments in fingal in the coming months??Any help would be greatly appreciated.........:D :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I told you before it's about 7 or 8 months on average after initial approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

There was an article in the business post a couple of weeks ago about the affordable housing scheme. From what I remember, there were 500 on the Fingal List, and there were 797 homes under construction.

They said that it was usual for someone to receive an offer within 6 or 7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pikku

Hi -I've actually been on that same waiting list before, so am speaking from experience here.
    Your position on the list also depends on where you are from, as people who are origionally from the district of Fingal (born there) will always take precendce over people from outside the area. We sat at place no. 7 or so on the list for aaaaaaaages, and only upon questioning of the lady showing us a place once did we learn this... It means in effect, that you can be waiting and slowly moving up the list during a year, but then born in that area can apply 10 months into that year and still get placed over you on the list - so unless you are 'local' you can end up waiting a long, long time.

I can completely understand the policy and in general agree with it, but it is a bit frustrating if you are waiting to buy somewhere yourself.

Course, if you're from the area, you're laughing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

Quote taken from Fingal Website:
    Certain applicants who satisfy the Council that they have been resident in one of the housing areas for a period of not less than 5 consecutive years at time of application may also be eligible to be placed on the relevant Local Area Housing List i.e. Blanchardstown General, Balbriggan General and Swords/Malahide/Howth General. A number of properties are reserved for people on Local Area Lists. This allocation of properties allows for people who are or have been resident in a particular area to purchase a property close to family/friends, thereby retaining a community ethos to the area. At the expiry of 12 months applicants can apply to have their Provisional Approval extended for a further 12 months.

Did you end up purchasing a property through the scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Suziesu

Does anybody know of new properties which will be coming online in the fingal area over the next few months through the affordable housing scheme??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

There are apartments in Lusk coming up in January I hear, but unless you'll be on the list about 8 months by then, you won't get a viewing. You really won't hear about anything specific until they contact you about a particular development. Most places being built now are two bed apartments. Unless looking to buy in Balbriggan you'll be pushed to find a 3 bedroom house since that's what most families are holding out for.
    I'm seeing people here frequently asking about the lists and developments.. seriously you just have to wait. Fingal will tell you very little for the first 6-7 months then you should receive several viewings.
    If you ring them frequently asking what's coming up, they won't tell you. If you ask your place on the list (unless you're right at the top) they will usually just tell you that you're 'in the top half' or 'somewhere near the top 100' etc. I didn't get offered a viewing until about 8 months after my prov app. Just have patience. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

pikku wrote:
    people who are origionally from the district of Fingal (born there) will always take precendce over people from outside the area.
    I think you qualify for the local list if you have lived in Fingal for over five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Karyn wrote:
    I think you qualify for the local list if you have lived in Fingal for over five years.
    I think it depends more on circumstances for different cases as well.
    For example, i live in city council area on border with fingal council area where that border is literally 50metres away!
    I have worked in fingal area for last 6 years consistently so i was put on local list as well as general list.

Advertisement