Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Wanted

Options
  • 04-11-2006 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Hi need a bit of help here I am trying to locate a model of a Toyota Hilux can anyone suggest a site they know does one ?

:( bit googled out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I not your man about static models but I believe Marks models in dublin those them:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'd love a real Hi-Lux, those Toyota jeeps kick ass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

See what they went through in Topgear? And still alive!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

yeah that kicked ass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The Doktor wrote:

This is excellent.

I actually found this one earlier today I managed to get it on e-bay a wee bit cheaper than retail. It was this model I was hoping for exactly as its my truck and I wanted a model of it. Good to know my search did not miss anything .This is the exact model however mine doesnt come with a machine gun. I reckon if i wanted the Dushka MG on real hi-lux there is one lying around west Belfast I could fit. However the PSNI may have issues with it.

I brought the actual truck after owning a Opel Frontera... the frontera broke down on a whim. I saw the news and reckoned if a hi-lux can survive in Afganistan it may break down less. Folks if anyone know of a Model of commercial model (i.e with no weapons on it) please let us know. Reckon i will just build this one without the dushka in the mean time :-)

Thanks Doktor + everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

All you short now are a couple of miniature taliban figures to go with the hi-lux pick-up.:)

junkyard wrote:
    All you short now are a couple of miniature taliban figures to go with the hi-lux pick-up.:)

eh ..well.... http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/9952/0/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

F**king hell, I was joking....who would want to collect them! Don't get me wrong, I have rooms full of model cars, trucks and buses, but the taliban...I don't think so.:eek:

lol --- well personally I thought it would have been easy to get a nice diecast model of it however as this is where we are. We will contuinue so i might be back here later looking for advice on paints and tips in general. The last Model I built was way back in about 1992 it was a phantom I think. And the results where not great.

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote:
    lol --- well personally I thought it would have been easy to get a nice diecast model of it however as this is where we are. We will contuinue so i might be back here later looking for advice on paints and tips in general. The last Model I built was way back in about 1992 it was a phantom I think. And the results where not great.

Well if thats the case the ones i gave links to are not for you. They are Resin models. You need to cut the parts out with a razor saw and get them to fit. Not like the injection moulded ones where you snip the parts out and stick em together.

Anyways..if yis dont like the taliban soilders hows about this.... http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php?xProd=3244

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Are you looking for something like this?
    Aoshima 1/24 Hilux, a few of the scale offroad lads use 'em for bodies for the smaller stuff:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Aoshima-TOYOTA-HILUX-4WD-PICK-UP-1-24-Scale-New_W0QQitemZ330046042505QQihZ014QQcategoryZ145974QQcmdZViewItem

2 Espressi wrote:
    Are you looking for something like this?
    Aoshima 1/24 Hilux, a few of the scale offroad lads use 'em for bodies for the smaller stuff:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Aoshima-TOYOTA-HILUX-4WD-PICK-UP-1-24-Scale-New_W0QQitemZ330046042505QQihZ014QQcategoryZ145974QQcmdZViewItem

Yes thats even better ...I bid on that however I know have another question what in Gods name is a razor saw :confused:

The result of this Model could be very interesting ???

Zambia232 wrote:
    Yes thats even better ...I bid on that however I know have another question what in Gods name is a razor saw :confused:

The result of this Model could be very interesting ???

Razor saw http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/2629/591/
    or http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/product.php/2630/591/

Also are these any use to ye?
    http://www.etamiya.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hi+lux

Ok could secure one of those in the local model shop...

Honestly how hard are these resin models to build ? Are we talking months to paint and build ? As i dont mind if the result will be worth it ?:)

Well, if you are willing to spent the time resin kits can look really good. Often the detail is much better on a resin kit than on an injection moulded one.
    The first thing is the parts come in on resin blocks rather than on a sprue(like airfix)
    Look like this
    shermanarvpc_5.jpg
    Each part has to be cut off carefully like this
    shermanarvpc_3.jpg
    Which can be quite difficult.
    Also there are usually flaws in the resin which need to be sanded or filled. You then stick em together with super glue, and often have to build up support around joints, as you dont have the same locator parts as you would on a injection mould kit.
    You will then end up with an unpainted item like on this page
    http://www.migproductions.com/MP/products/35144/35144.htm

I have to say though, from what i have seen from the Mig productions there is not too much filling and sanding to be done. They are pretty good quality.

Cheers Doktor you have cheered me up no end this looks like it is at least do-able. I would love to know how they go the dirt effect on the jeep. I might just paint it white and drive it through a puddle:confused:

Can thank you enough for your help on this...:)

Zambia232 wrote:
    Cheers Doktor you have cheered me up no end this looks like it is at least do-able. I would love to know how they go the dirt effect on the jeep. I might just paint it white and drive it through a puddle:confused:

Can thank you enough for your help on this...:)

Dirt.. well after painting it white, he would have given it a wash all over of brown oils (really thin mix of whit spirit and artists oils). With a slightly thicker mix where there is staining. And since its Mig productions the dirt would be done using their pigments (basically coloured powders) and acrylic resin to thicken it out around the wheel arches.
    For where the paint is worn off... he would have either painted on the dark metal colour, and after painting it white while the paint has not hardened, scraped off the white to reveal the "metal" underneath....
    or.. painted the scratches on with a thin brush ...
    The oil wash would make the scratches look even better.

Excellent

So at this piont I need to go into a model shop get a
    Razor saw + file
    A fine brush
    White paint - Body
    Black paint - Wheels / upholstery
    Dirt paint / oil wash
    Gun metal paint / should do for scratches as well
    Super glue/glue

Any other suggestions ?

Well.. I couldnt build a model with just that :D but... essential stuff would be...
    tools
    1. small side cutter (snips)
    2. hobby knife
    3. set of needle files
    4. Razor saw
    5. 400 wet and dry sandpaper
    6. 000 or 00 brush and a nice wide flat brush

paint
    1. Gloss white (x-2), Matt black(xf-1), semi matt black(x-18) Chrome(x-11) Gunmetal (x-10) Clear orange (x-26) Clear red (x-27) Tamiya colour codes in brackets (paint I use, and i like em... clean up/thin with water)
    2.Mig Pigments, Standard Rust (mig00025), Dry Mud (mig00232) Mig Acrylic Resin
    3. Artists oils dark brown (dark ochre) and black.
    4. White Spirit

That should get you a good result.. there are other things you can get, but for one model, that would get you started, and if you need more stuff you can get it.

All of the above is available from www.netmerchants.co.uk except maybe the oils, which you can get anywhere.

• Advertisement

thats great , much better idea now , had a look at the tools section and paint section of that site

Deceptivly expensive hobby this model making ?

Zambia232 wrote:
    Deceptivly expensive hobby this model making ?
    Tell me about it..!! I just ordered an airbrush for around 370 quid!...:D

The Doktor wrote:
    Tell me about it..!! I just ordered an airbrush for around 370 quid!...:D

gulp ,,,, ok from my calculations i may scrape though with about £25 on matierals

:(

Just to keep anyone who is interested in the loop I did find a bloody good proper Diecast of a Toyota Landcruiser on the Toyota.co.uk site. However no other Toyota Models :mad:

Hmm quite a choice to .. it appears the Hi-Lux is the much neglected cousin of the landcruiser...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Hello to all,

A great site to find any kind of model is one called TACOT.COM. I have bought many from them and their service is excellent, but just one thing, there is a minimum charge of €19.00 per package, so always better to order a number at the one time.

Best of luck with the site as you can see pics of everything thats available which runs into thousands.

PanhardPL wrote:
    Hello to all,

A great site to find any kind of model is one called TACOT.COM. I have bought many from them and their service is excellent, but just one thing, there is a minimum charge of €19.00 per package, so always better to order a number at the one time.

Best of luck with the site as you can see pics of everything thats available which runs into thousands.

This looks like top quality stuff bit alas no Hi-lux

The resin model has arrived so I will keep the thread updated on that...

Zambia232 wrote: »
    This looks like top quality stuff bit alas no Hi-lux

The resin model has arrived so I will keep the thread updated on that...

OK I am admiting failure on this i never even took it out of the bags. :o

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140259981395&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=004

• Advertisement

Ill build it for ya if u like....... if ya dont mind waiting a little while for the current project to finish...

in the mean time........
    http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58397
    http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58405

Advertisement