Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands that you wish would break up.....

Options
  • 04-11-2006 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

.... in order to retain their legacy.

Maybe I'm alone on this one but I really hate it when bands who clearly have nothing more to offer keep on churning out records and end up having a bloated (but diluted) album catalogue when the man goes to write the final page on their career.

Here's a couple of examples.

REM. They were a real 'college' band and when I think of the good-vide 90's they're always in there somewhere but post BillBerry they don't even seem to be the same band anymore that burst onto the scene in the mid-80s and conquerered the world 10 years later. Que a lot of dross.

Another one is The Smashing Pumpkins. They've reformed and are releasing a new album coming out next year and to say I'm dreading it would be an understatement. They were probably my single favourite band of all time but everything Corgans done post-Adore (Machina, MaryStar, FutureEmbrace) has been pretty awful. I've no reason to believe this new record will be any different.

So which bands to you wish would just throw in the towel now so you can remember them fondly and so that future generations can get a swift sharp shock from a tight back-catalogue instead of having to sift thru 30 hours of cynical junk made for a quick buck?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Basement Jaxx....used to be f*cking legends (and not so long ago either) but their latest crop of stuff is poppy vocal nonsense, the edge is gone and to make it even worse that same new stuff seems to be making them even more popular.
    Anyone who listens to their stuff will know what I'm on about....meanwhile anyone that's grown to like them in the last 12 months will probably think I'm crazy for suggesting they split up...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weezer - before they embarrass themselves any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Jamiroquai has no further contribution to music and should hereby abstain from recording/writing/producing/composing any other musicly related material.

T.Sc.

Should have quit before he released any music!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Red Hot Chilli Peppers. It's not 1994 anymore lads. Have ye thought about getting a new sound? Nah, and why should they when kids buy this ****.

And em....Westlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jamiroquai has no further contribution to music and should hereby abstain from recording/writing/producing/composing any other musicly related material.

T.Sc.
    Mark LaMarr got it spot on with regards to Jamiroquai on Never Mind the Buzzcocks one night. He was talking about when they got signed to ther record label to make 5 albums, unfortunately they didn't realise that it was to make 5 different albums!!
    And em....Westlife.
    I think you're missing the popint of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

Easy. snow patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Radiohead... they'll never top The Bends and OK Computer so stop trying!

Counting Crows.. a band that have always been close to my heart. But not if they keep releasing shi*e like 'Big Yellow Taxi' and 'Accidentally In Love'.. they need to stop now!

Foo Fighters.. sorry lads but you'll never top 'The Colour And The Shape'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Pitseleh

(What's left of) The Who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Strangely enough I would have to suggest Audioslave.

I dont feel like Chris Cornell is even trying any more, the lyrics are terrible and he has none of the flare he has with soundgarden. Tom Morello is completely underplaying himself with overly simplistic sounds and the worst solo's I have ever heard. Tim commerford is playing better bass than ever but he sounds like he is playing to a totally different tune than the rest and being honest he should probably play in a motown or funk band instead. Brad Wilk sounds as scripted and dull as hard as he could possibly try, he used to be good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Redegg wrote:
    Easy. snow patrol.
    I second that. Also all those generic britrock bands that are around now that all sound alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Froot makes a VERY good point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I wish Damien Rice would split up with himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I agree.

I might add that they should really break up - into little pieces. Each one of them.
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers. It's not 1994 anymore lads. Have ye thought about getting a new sound? Nah, and why should they when kids buy this ****.

And em....Westlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This wouldn't be the Mark Lamar that dressed in the same sh*t faux rockabilly gear for 10 years would it? :D
    BaZmO* wrote:
    Mark LaMarr got it spot on with regards to Jamiroquai on Never Mind the Buzzcocks one night. He was talking about when they got signed to ther record label to make 5 albums, unfortunately they didn't realise that it was to make 5 different albums!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Yeah Chilli Peppers really need to either progress in their sound or else just call it a day. It's getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Squill wrote:

They did, twice. Once with Kid A and again with Amnesiac :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

^Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Squill wrote:

They're not trying to. Their music has taken a different direction since then. They are probably the one band around who actually could get pretty close to topping or at least equalling the quality of the bends and ok computer if they chose to make that style of album again. Personally I think kid A is also an excellent album which is perhaps underrated due to it's being compared unfavourably to the brilliance of what preceded it.
    Foo Fighters.. sorry lads but you'll never top 'The Colour And The Shape'
    :confused:
    'There is nothing left to lose' and 'In Your Honour' both topped it!

Counting Crows.. a band that have always been close to my heart. But not if they keep releasing shi*e like 'Big Yellow Taxi' and 'Accidentally In Love'.. they need to stop now!

Bland middle of the road tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Roling Stones really ought to call it a day. I never liked them to begin with but now they are just a bunch of wrinkly old grandads still trying to be rock stars.
    Oasis should seriously call it a day also. They have been increasingly bland and irrelevant over the last few years, all that earlier vibrance and attitude long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Brother A

U2
    --
    Now I'm not a U2 hater by any means, I thought their early stuff was great. Achtung Baby I don't like at all really, nor Pop, but I think many would aggree that they had some sort of edge (ok...obviously 'the' Edge is still there, but anyway).
    But now we get to 'All the MOR that you can't leave behind', and 'how to dismantle an atomic turd' - Rubbish. They should go, and go now.

And as if any further indication were needed, both Snow Patrol and Oasis now see U2 as their 'competition'....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bojangles

Defo Rolling Stones! Jaysus my grandad has "records" by them he bought when he was young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MarshalBoy

People have already mentioned bands like REM, The Stones,Oasis and Smashing Pumpkins who were once great but are now complete pants and in the case of The Stones a Kareoke version of themselves.

Now I have a theory on this. Rock Bands, much like professional sportsmen only have a finite period where they are relevent and actually mean something. This is about 6-10 years depending on the band (I never set it was an exact theory!) Between 1967 and 1974 The Stones were the best band on the face of the planet and released five amazing albums. They reached a creative peak that they never could match. Same with REM - they have written some of the greatest songs of all time but know people just laugh at them.

Rock music more so than most other forms of music is about attitude,rebellion, style, the smell of danger and of course sex. It is hard to embody these values when you become a multi multi millionaire and start getting old, bald and fat. Basiclly as soon as you are rich enough to start paying people to carry your guitar you start to loose your relevance and evrything that you try to create just becomes a parody and a copy of a copy of a copy of what you have done before.

There is the odd exception to the rule - Dylan still making vibrant albums, Radiohead - as creative and experimental as ever and even dare I say it - U2 - who love them or loathe them, produced a last album outstanding quality.

Anyway - in no particular order bands that I wish woudl split up to preserve their legacy:
    Arctic Monkies, New Order, Primal Scream, The Who.

Advertisement