Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Eircom ever charge for excess broadband use?

Options
  • 04-11-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

This has probably been answered before but I'll ask it again just to be sure.

Is there anyone who has firsthand knowledge of Eircom charging people for exceeding download limits in any circumstances?

I don't mean a few Megabytes here and there, I mean going far over the limit. Since they advertise it as an unlimited service, it would probably be hard legally to enforce limits.

I'm not asking what's official procedure (1 cent per mb) but for any confirmed cases of this happening. I went over the limit by a very considerable amount and I'm worried :( . For June, July and August we downloaded more than double the limit and there was no price increase or warning.

Any info is much appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I can't give you any examples of it happening, I posted a similar query back in July. One way of reducing the amount you download is to instal Flashblocker, a poster on here recommended it and it has cut our downloads by 50%. Bebo, that the kids are on a lot eats up your monthly allowance as every page has a movie or some megabyte munching graphic. In June we went over by about 20%, not a lot, but I was worried that the new owners would start charging and also charge retrospectively for good measure. I have seen countless other posts on this topic over the last few months and nobody seems to have been caught for it YET!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corroonb

Thanks but my usage due to flash is probably minimal since I don't use YouTube or any streaming service. I download lots of TV programs and at 350 mb per episode its almost impossible to stay under such a ridiculous limit. DVD-Rs hold 4.7 GB and I can only download two of these per month. Digital age my foot! Most serivces in other countries are unlimited not "Eircom unlimited".

I've checked around and the only people who have been charged are some Polish guys. One guy posted his usage stats and had 5 consecutive months with 10x the limit and wasn't charged. So it seems safe to assume that one month of gross excess is okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

as far as i know only broadband time users are charged for going over the limit.

i have been using my broadband connection to the fullest since i got it, about 100gb of traffic per month, no issues so far. had it about two years.

the allowances keep going up more and more, when i first got it, it was 4gb per month, now i see it's gone up to 20gb per month.

i doubt they ever enforce the limits, even if you're polish. :)

Yes, I was just joking because it seemed like a new "friend of a friend" way of spreading rumours. Our connection was twice the limit for four months in a row and no charges or warnings followed in the next bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Have to say that I was thinking about Eircom but after seeing that they false advertised (unlimited my arse) and saw that they actually had a 20GB limit, I've decided to go with UTV broadband. A bit cheaper and there is no download limit.

Advertisement