Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding energy levels in an potential well (finite)

• 04-11-2006 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭

I'm a little lost on one detail of the titular problem.
    Basically I want to use the boundary conditions to get a transcendental equation which I have to use trial and error with to find the energy levels. Now, I seem to remember being told I take the wave eq ASinkx+BCoskx, and just take odd or even (Sin or Cos) and barrel on which is fine. But my question is if I pick say odd, do I have to go back and do it again with the even, or would that just give me the same answers? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Usually you would have to take both.

However that's a very generic answer, what are the actual boundary conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The wavefunctions should be equal at the boundarys, aswell as the differentiate of the wavefunctions. So at that point I'd break it down to even or odd, and then set the differentiate divided by the wavefunction for each region equal to each other, and from that I'll get down to a tan or a cotan of something equal to a square root of something (can't remember off hand), and they've both got the energy in them so I have to do the trial and error.
    I'll try doing out the other way anyway, thanks.

Advertisement