Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS Reciever for PDA

• 04-11-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how they work, how much and where can get them? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

higster wrote:
    Anyone know how they work, how much and where can get them? Thanks

there are 3 types of gps receiver you can use with a pda:
    a bluetooth receiver.
    a cabled receiver.
    and receivers that fit in the cf/sdio slot of the pda.

the bluetooth receivers are the most popular as they can be placed anywhere in the car and i recommend one of these.

look for receivers with the sirfstar III chipset which means you hardly ever lose the satellite fix and it's more precise at locating your position.

specifically i recommend the holux 236 gpslim.
    this has great battery life, comes with a car charger and is very discrete and light. i got it on ebay for about €90.

basically you turn on the receiver, turn on bluetooth on your pda and pair the two thru your bluetooth manager software on your pda.

you need to install satnav software/maps on your pda and then when your pda and receiver are connected the gps receiver gets location information from any available satellites and sends this back to the pda and the satnav software translates that visually into your position on its maps.

a basic satnav app and its maps e.g uk/ireland/europe (ie software only) for a pda costs about €100. examples include mapopolis, destinator, aa navigator etc.

you can also buy all-in-one satnav/gps bundles (ie software and hardware) for €200-300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

1. They work via Bluetooth. Satellite track them from orbit. You need software on your phone (I have Route 66, available from 66.com or Carphone Warehouse)

2. I got a cheap one on eBay for around 30quid after my other one was stolen. This one is okay. Bit slower to update than my other one, but that was 120 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Yeah, I've Route 66 from Navteq, got it from mysatnav.ie in Cork. very helpful. I got the receiver on ebay for around 40 euro, cheap but does the job and can be left anywhere in the car. Uses what looks like a Nokia type battery, not very long life, maybe 16 hours non stop but I just leave it plugged into the lighter socket.

Advertisement