Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission for more than 3 Velux windows to rear

Options
  • 04-11-2006 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

I have come accross a few posts over the last few months on this and other boards where folks have said that you can have up to 3 velux windows installed at the rear without planning permission.
    The FAQ from the council http://www.dlrcoco.ie/planning/oftenasked.htm just says that velux windows (plural) are exempted if they are to the rear.
    The 1963 Act Section 4 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA28Y1963S4.html mentions nothing about roof-lights just a general statement about "not materially affect the external appearance of the structure".

Reason I am asking is that I have a beautiful and I mean beautiful quattro velux window in my attic that I am a bit worried about.

Can anyone put my mind at ease?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is this the velux window that has four sections, 2 x 2, and is all one piece. There sloped and half sloped versions.
    IMO it would be exempt, i would consider it one window. Its sold as a single unit.
    As for how many you are allowed. I think the rule is veluxs are allowed, and certain councils have limited it to 3. If DLR say nothing on the web then your ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I orignally had one velux window on my planning permission, but when I was actually building the house, I put two more on the back, making 3 in total.
    The county council said that for those kind of changes, i could just apply for an exemption for the changes. It was just a one page form, €80...Monaghan county council

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its different if you apply for something first.
    If you apply for something that could be classed as exempt, the exemption no longer applies. For example, if you applied for a single story extension under 40 sq.m, that met all requirements for exemptions (but you applied in ignorance). And council grant it with lots of conditions, say finish to match existing. And you want a different finish, and you hear you could of built it what ever way you want with out planning so you do it your way. You're not complying with planning and need retention.

In boatbuilders case. By building different from the plans its kinda the same. For something like windows its not major, so the council won't make a fuss. But i've heard stories on a bigger scale were the council want somebody to apply so they could stick on conditions, but he didn't have to apply.

Advertisement