Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was wrong with my Immigration thread?

Options
  • 04-11-2006 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I have posted a thread on the politics boards in relation to Immigration.

I really dont see wg=hat the problem was with it.

However the Moderator Gandalf PM me and told me tht he had removed the thread and if I posted it again I would be banned!

I obviously PM back to ask why and what rules had I broke?

But surprise surprise No Response!

The contents of my thread were
    it is a video about the effect of mass immigration on a country. I appreciate this video refers specifically to the USA, but the principle applies anywhere.

It is given in a non-political, non-racist manner (in my opinion). I watched the whole thing and found it very interesting even if a little scary.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5871651411393887069

I just beleived it to be a intreating video and something that should be debated in relation to current political reasoning.

Please could anyone tell me why my post was removed and why Im threatened with banning!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Have you read the forum charter?
    You'll most likely find your answer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 irishlordknight

Hi, I have gone through the charter and find no rules that I have broke.

Also its a bit our of order that a Mod can pick and choose to delete Threads without giving an explanation!

I PM Gandalf and he still hasnt given me a reason why. So in other words if a mod happens to disagree with my point of view he can delete my post? Despite the forum charter clearly saying Topics should be relevant to the politics board, and Every poster is entitled to their opinion - whether it is ill-informed or not!

Now in my case I didnt base a opinion either way in regards to the debate. I just found a link to a debate in America that I felt had a relevance in Ireland and Europe. I gave my opinion in relation to how I felt the Video made me feel.

Again I complied with the rules -Topics should not be verbatim quotes from some article sans comment. Add a comment before or after the post, offering your opinion on the subject, or at the very least, your reason for adding the topic.

So Im still unaware what rules I have broke. I honestly feel its more of the case that the Mod disent want to duscuss issues such as migration and bans anyone who does. Hence this would make the moderator become in breach of the Board rules themselves! At the very least a reply to my question to the moderator should be given, if even for politeness!

I gave my opinion in relation to how I felt the Video made me feel.

You said you found it scary. Hardly a well thought out opinion now is it?

I took the time to look at part of that link. It's nothing more than bigoted and scaremongering. I find it especially amusing that an american is whinging about immigration, considering that every person in america bar the native indians are in fact decendant from immigrants. Anyway, I'm not here to debate politics with you. After looking at the link I understand why Gandalf deleted it. I suggest you take more time in getting to know how the politics forum is run before posting anymore threads.

Well thats quite sad.

Its sad that Mods are a law to themselves on these message boards.

Everyone is entitled to a opinion is the charter! Well this seems not to be the case.

I beleive the Politics forum is a waste of time considering that you cant post or debate, unless the mods agrees with it.

You still have failed to tell me exactly what part of the rules i broke. The reason is I have broke no rules, but you guys are obviously afraid to debate anything you dont like.

For this reason I quit these boards and will move elsewhere.

Even if you dont agree with threads, you should allow them, and if you do remove them have the decentcy to tell people why!

Boards.ie wont last long if they keep up this Pathetic attempt to have one version of events!

Inceldently I posted the same thread on 5 other messageboards including AOL, who are a damn sight bigger than Boards.ie. And not one of them had a problem, and a good debate is still going on.

Boards.ie obviously are a bit Backward like there Mods!

Gandalf's reply:
    gandalf wrote:
    The threads were deleted as you did not offer any substantial option at all bar its "scary". Now unless the members of the community on boards are mind readers we really don't know what your opinion is.

The mods job on Boards.ie is to unsure that a decent level of discussion takes place and is not hijacked by people with agenda's of their own which I believe you have. If you posted a decent description of the video, who made it and their agenda along with your opinion then it would have stayed. Saying something is "scary" is the description of a child, I am assuming you are an adult.

The Politics forum would be a waste of time if we let threads like the ones of yours that were deleted reside there. You did not offer anything of your opinion at all and it was a very weak attempt of getting a discussion going furthermore I would like to know why all the topics you have raised in Politics bar one have had to do with immigration. Are you a one topic wonder or do you actually want to take part in the community proper. In my opinion you are no loss to boards at all.

We allow topics on boards that we disagree with once we have some proper engagement from the person that started the thread as well as ensuring the topic does not stray into the realm of illegality. As regards telling you why they were removed I was going to reply to you but then I saw you put a whinge up in the "Helpdesk" section so I decided I would let you rot. We don't patrol boards 24x7 and we have lives outside of here.

Boards.ie has been around in one form or another since 1995 and is going from strenght to strenght. One of the reasons we are growing so rapidally is due to our moderation standards people can have a decent, intelligent and civil level of discussion. You are most welcome to frequent other discussion boards and I am sure there are bigger ones out there, the basic fact is we are the biggest Irish discussion board on the net. And just for clarity if you are still around can you post up links to these other discussions so I can check out how the debate is going on?

Boards.ie is very progressive and takes seriously the sense of community that it has fostered. This includes ensuring a certain standard of thread so the users of the forums who do actually make an effort to take part in the community in the proper spirit are spared from reading rubbish and tripe.

BTW I am replying to this via an S-Mod because I cannot reply to threads in the Helpdesk and tbh I do not want to enter into a PM conversation with you are you took this public.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by gandalf
    The threads were deleted as you did not offer any substantial option at all bar its "scary". Now unless the members of the community on boards are mind readers we really don't know what your opinion is.

Scary is in fact a very good way of describing feelings. I dont think you have to be a mind reader to understand what scary means. However If I broke a rule, which to be honest you still havent explained which one, I think you should at least have the decentcy to tell me this without removing a post and explaining this to me in the Pm you sent threatining me with a ban!
    The mods job on Boards.ie is to unsure that a decent level of discussion takes place and is not hijacked by people with agenda's of their own which I believe you have. If you posted a decent description of the video, who made it and their agenda along with your opinion then it would have stayed. Saying something is "scary" is the description of a child, I am assuming you are an adult.

First of all you prohibited any discussion taking place by deleteing my thread! You claim that you think I have a agenda of my own? So What is that? I fail to understand how my description was not good enough! And you again go back to scary as a description of a child! "scar‧y  /ˈskɛəri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[skair-ee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective, scar‧i‧er, scar‧i‧est. 1. causing fright or alarm.
    2. easily frightened; timid.

I in fact used the word scary as a short use of the word instead of writing a lengthy version of the word. If in future you dont except shortened versions of the word then I suggest you amend the rules.
    The Politics forum would be a waste of time if we let threads like the ones of yours that were deleted reside there. You did not offer anything of your opinion at all and it was a very weak attempt of getting a discussion going furthermore I would like to know why all the topics you have raised in Politics bar one have had to do with immigration. Are you a one topic wonder or do you actually want to take part in the community proper. In my opinion you are no loss to boards at all.

Come on! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055013222 have you had a look at the politics forum recently? If you are going to hide behing that then at least make sure you check your facts! The opeining post is hardly worth of a debate, no description, no effort, more of a breaking news headline, which I beleive is against the rules. So Whys this not banned or removed? Oh because a mod started the thread! And several Mods took part in the debate. Now I see!
    We allow topics on boards that we disagree with once we have some proper engagement from the person that started the thread as well as ensuring the topic does not stray into the realm of illegality. As regards telling you why they were removed I was going to reply to you but then I saw you put a whinge up in the "Helpdesk" section so I decided I would let you rot. We don't patrol boards 24x7 and we have lives outside of here.

Pure rubbish again. You took over three days to reply to me, only after I made a complaint about your lack of reply. You could have told me the reasons why my post was removed on the same night you PM me threatining me with a ban if I placed my post again. As in regards to debate, you removed the post before any debate could take place. So as for you claim of allowing threads that you disagree with, you should again check you facts. I beleive it is you who has an genda to remove posts you disagree with!
    Boards.ie has been around in one form or another since 1995 and is going from strenght to strenght. One of the reasons we are growing so rapidally is due to our moderation standards people can have a decent, intelligent and civil level of discussion. You are most welcome to frequent other discussion boards and I am sure there are bigger ones out there, the basic fact is we are the biggest Irish discussion board on the net. And just for clarity if you are still around can you post up links to these other discussions so I can check out how the debate is going on?

Are you living in a fantasy world? Look at the complaints on this Helpdesk. People with more threads posted than me are complaining about the attitude of mods. And the reply from the mods is "SCARY". You all seem to be wrapped up in the self idea that you are write and the everyone you ban is wrong! As a mod in politics you should look at the UK Labour party, who I compare to boards.ie. Succesful in there own right, but lately living in a world of fantasy thinking that everyone still loves them and that they are doing a good job!

If you look at the link to the thread above I put, 10 out of the 27 posts are by Mods. 5 posts seem to claim they dont even live in Ireland. So the Majority of posts in the Politics Forum arent even from Irish people that arent mods. Hardly a broad reflection of Irish public opinion! So Where has everyone gone?

Boards.ie is very progressive and takes seriously the sense of community that it has fostered. This includes ensuring a certain standard of thread so the users of the forums who do actually make an effort to take part in the community in the proper spirit are spared from reading rubbish and tripe.

Well then I suggest you take your own advice. So taking into account all that you have said, am I allowed to resubmit my thread with more in depth description of what it is about?

BTW I am replying to this via an S-Mod because I cannot reply to threads in the Helpdesk and tbh I do not want to enter into a PM conversation with you are you took this public.

Well I did give you three days to reply to me before taking this public. And you did have the chance of telling me what was wrong in the first PM you sent me of threatining me with a ban without a reason!

As for being a one topic wonder, if you notice Ive only ever made two threads. One regarding a the UK banning Romaina and Bulgaria from the UK. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055006943&referrerid=&highlight=

Where you asked my opinion. Which I gave expressing my concerns in relation to the state of the EU saying there is a two tier system.

My other thread is this one.

My Thread of the american view of immigration I thought was a very intreasting view of immigration and the amount of lives born into poverty each year. I felt the video summed up the points raised. I am neither for or against immigration, I like to debate the facts as put before me so I can make my own mind up.

As regards to other posts, I now refuse to use these boards ever again until Boards.ie have a look at the moderators on these boards and talk to them in realtion to there attitudes. Now I know this wont happen anytime soon as you mods seem to be sitting in your ivory towers patting each other on there own backs, but I am quite happy to reply to you hear as your replies as flawed and I find it very intreasring to see what version of the forum rules you want to bend and break to suit your own needs next!

Other than that I now continue to use my main boards AOL, and Politics.ie. Where it has to be said Noderators dont seem to be as self loving as the moderators on here.

I think it a real shame that the mods on here are so biased towards themselves, and this will obviously lead to the demise of Boards.ie as it will end up being out of touch of irish people and in fact become a club for self obsessed egos who love them sleves and fit there own rules around what they want.

No doubt you will dislike my reply here and lead to a banning. Which only goes to show exactly my point.

but Like I have stated, I no longer will use these boards because of reasons stated above! So it is only your stupidy that beleives banning serves you well!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This would probably be better off in the Feedback forum tbh, otherwise we'll just get pms mixed up with the smods relaying info back and forth. I don't know why Gandalf isn't pming you about this though.

Do you want me to move this to the Feedback forum?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

In the interim, here is a reply from Tristrame.
    Tristrame wrote:
    Come on! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055013222 have you had a look at the politics forum recently? If you are going to hide behing that then at least make sure you check your facts! The opeining post is hardly worth of a debate, no description, no effort, more of a breaking news headline, which I beleive is against the rules. So Whys this not banned or removed? Oh because a mod started the thread! And several Mods took part in the debate. Now I see!
    Threads like the one you quoted with a post announcing a news item are allowed.They are not soap boxing like yours.
    Pure rubbish again. You took over three days to reply to me, only after I made a complaint about your lack of reply. You could have told me the reasons why my post was removed on the same night you PM me threatining me with a ban if I placed my post again. As in regards to debate, you removed the post before any debate could take place. So as for you claim of allowing threads that you disagree with, you should again check you facts. I beleive it is you who has an agenda to remove posts you disagree with!
    Codswallop-soap boxing by thread starters is not allowed-read the charter.
    Are you living in a fantasy world? Look at the complaints on this Helpdesk. People with more threads posted than me are complaining about the attitude of mods. And the reply from the mods is "SCARY". You all seem to be wrapped up in the self idea that you are write and the everyone you ban is wrong! As a mod in politics you should look at the UK Labour party, who I compare to boards.ie. Succesful in there own right, but lately living in a world of fantasy thinking that everyone still loves them and that they are doing a good job!
    There are 70,000 users on here-how many threads are on the help desk? Exactly very few-Why? because well boards is a private site and run the way it is and the way it is run is pretty much accepted and popular-otherwise it wouldnt be as sucessfull as it is.
    If you look at the link to the thread above I put, 10 out of the 27 posts are by Mods. 5 posts seem to claim they dont even live in Ireland. So the Majority of posts in the Politics Forum arent even from Irish people that arent mods. Hardly a broad reflection of Irish public opinion! So Where has everyone gone?
    Rofl-diss a less popular site and I might listen to you.
    Well then I suggest you take your own advice. So taking into account all that you have said, am I allowed to resubmit my thread with more in depth description of what it is about?
    No.We,the mods of politics have decided that you are a one trick pony with a chip on your shoulder regarding immigration.We are not allowing you to soap box this on the politics board.It's for genuine discussion and not soap boxing.
    but Like I have stated, I no longer will use these boards because of reasons stated above! So it is only your stupidy that beleives banning serves you well!
    Bye so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I obviously PM back to ask why and what rules had I broke?

But surprise surprise No Response!
    You sent a PM at 22:09. You posted here at 22:27.

That (in case you need some help with the maths) is less than 20 minutes.

Do you think gandalf is sitting around waiting to serve you in every possible matter at a few minutes notice?

Would you perhaps, like him to get you a glass of brandy, a nice Cuban cigar and a blow-job with that?

FFS! Talk about a whiney maggot.

This thread can be broken into two separate concerns.

One: You didn't get an answer from someone who has better things to do in less than twenty minutes. Solution, STFU and wait.

Two: You don't agree with a policy here. Solution, take it to the Feedback forum.

Talliesin wrote:
    Two: You don't agree with a policy here. Solution, take it to the Feedback forum.

Feedback is exactly where this thread should be if the OP wishes to discuss this, the Mods in question have the right to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ignoring the laughable notion that a reply to a PM sent to a mod will be answered in twenty minutes, if a to-and-fro discussion is intended here this should be in Feedback. I'm not going to take part in a to-and-fro discussion that isn't in Feedback as it's something of a waste of time when there's less froing and more tooing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It's not even so much a matter of the fact that there's a to-ing and fro-ing. The OP is objecting to policy. We can't "help" him with this policy. It's not our place.

OP. Boards runs on a very simple feudal principle.

The policy is set by the mods. The mods can be influenced by opinion and directly overruled by the admins, who in turn can also be influenced by opinion. The place to state opinion on policy is the Feedback forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

As the op did not allow adequate time for the mod to respond before taking this to the help desk, I am locking the thread as the moderator cannot respond here.

If the irishlordknight wants to continue this conversation in public, please pm and I will move it to a forum where the mod can explain his actions.

Right now it is unfair to the OP who may not have realised that waiting only 20 mins was unreasonable and also to the Mod to allow this continue.

Vex.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement