Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting off with tropical fish

Options
  • 05-11-2006 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is the right thread

anyways bought a new aquarium today, a jewel vision 180, its nice and big. lights, filter, heater set to 24c.

filled it up , added a bottle of stress zyme biological filtration booster and

a bottle of dual action stress zyme to the filters as i filled the tank.

after an hour with tank turned on, added 10 goldfish, they seem quite happy, and loads of room to swim round.

i put the goldfish in to help speed things along, in terms of biocycle etc etc to get the tank ready for tropical fish.

so my question is , can i after a week or so , add in tropical fish? what additional equipment do i need? thermometers, etc etc

also can you mix goldfish with tropical fish? if so whats a good mix,

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

You have way too many fish in that tank, even if it were fully matured it is too small for 10 goldfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

the tank is 180L tank. i dont intend to keep the goldfish for their lifetime.

i intend to replace them with tropical fish after the tank has matured ...

and no its not too small... theyhave loads of room in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

You are supposed to let the tank mature for 2 weeks before adding any fish. and why are you keeping coldwater fish at 24'C?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

And what are you goin to do with the goldfish?

It amazes me when I see people putting goldfish in with tropicals...Where does that idea come from like!

And what are you goin to do with the goldfish?

It amazes me when I see people putting goldfish in with tropicals...Where does that idea come from like!
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

the gold fish will be removed prior to the addition of tropical iasc.

currently there are 2 in the tank ; in there to help speed things along...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    like like like like like.................:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 EsmeWeatherwax

I used the word like once smartarse.

And you didnt say what you were going to do with the goldfish, so pardon my curiosity,:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

[QUOTE=what_car.currently there are 2 in the tank ; in there to help speed things along...
    [/QUOTE]

What happened to the other 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

they all probably died from being kept at too high a temp :( and he'll probably just flush them because fish couldn't feel pain:rolleyes:

Arcadian wrote:
    What happened to the other 8?
    sent them packing back to the petshop, got more money back for them than i paid, yeha,,, made 30cent on each of them lol.

anyways its better with 2 for the timebeing until tank is ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 munsterchick

why did you buy them in the first place if you just brought them back to the shop again??

24 degrees is too high of a temp for goldfish, are u trying to boil them or something??

why would you put goldfish and tropical in the same tank, the temp for trop is between 26-28. this is way too hot for goldfish.

plus the tank needs to be running for at least 2 weeks before you put fish in, to build up the bacteria needed.

You would have known all this if you had researched before buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree 24 degrees is too warm for the goldfish.
    If it's urgent eg if a fish needs to be moved urgently into a better improved tank then you can put goldfish in but only slowly leaving them in the bag for a time first and slowly releasing them.
    But it is much healthier to leave the tank run for up to 40 days (many recomend 2 weeks but aparently the longer the better).
    A whole bottle of stress coat sounds like a lot for 180liter tank depending on the size of the bottle that is.

Either way, I would say you should do a lot more research and take into account the welfare of even the smallest cheapest fish before going any further.

Here's a link with a new product on it that aparently lets you introduce fish straight away.
    http://www.fishkeepingsupplies.com/acatalog/Fishkeeping_for_idiots.html

hi there well 2 goldfish in the tank, and all ok, i will have the aquarium 2 weeks on sat, and havent changed water yet,... do i need to?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

what_car wrote:
    hi there well 2 goldfish in the tank, and all ok, i will have the aquarium 2 weeks on sat, and havent changed water yet,... do i need to?
    just do your research as stated above.then you will know alot more about keeping fish and on the plus side your fish will be healty and might even start breeding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 alan_co9

Hi what_car

I think you should have a look at this site http://www.tropicaltankforum.com/forum/index.php There is over 1000 members (me included) that will try to help you with everything got to do with tropical fish.

Advertisement