Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the law?

Options
  • 05-11-2006 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Did I hear a while back that they were going to stop letting boy racer/modified cars through the NCT? Just wonderin does anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye and after that there going to make them wear a badge on there arm so everyone will know who they are and after that they will be imprisoned then were hoping the americans will land to try and save us from the evil ones

o wait non of that is true

firstly they would have to put strict guidelines to what a boy racer car is the legal hassel from this alone would be huge .

this topic has come up 4 or 5 times since the modified forum was added its never going to happen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

It is and always has been illegal to modify your car in certain ways.

Tints,exhausts,oversized wheels,improperly secured bucket seats,neons,two tone horns,sun visors,after market spoilers etc.

Fines are up to the judges and are usually low < €100

Its all contained in the Road Traffic (Construction and use of equipment regulations).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I sent my car for the NCT back in April..........I have a Pug 206 with Bodykit, Tints, 17" Alloys and a loud enough exhaust..........plus i have neon lights fitted under the car.

I told the bloke taking it in about the lights, he didn't seem to mind just asked me where they hooked up correctly, to which i replied yes.........

I was a bit worried about the exhaust as it is a bit loud once the rev's are a bit high.........but guess what the car Passed 1st time, and the bloke doing the test actually complimented me about the car.............:p :p:p

NCT is a roadworthiness test. Not a test for illegal modifications.

The law is there for people to be prosecuted, its at the discretion of the Gardai whether to prosecute or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Well i have bumped into Numerous amounts of Checkpoints in the last year or so and nothing has been said to me, fingers crossed this continues and i haven't jinxed myself lol........:p

• Advertisement

Ya they are usually only prosecuted when caught doing other things.

Driftin, dangerous overtakin, speeding.

Instead of one summons it turns into 10 or 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Chief--- wrote:
    NCT is a roadworthiness test. Not a test for illegal modifications.
    Some modifications will fail an NCT, e.g. parking lights which are not white, rear lights not red, incorrectly fitted/positioned lights, registration plate not proper size and many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Registration Plates is a big one,

Non Standard Reg Plates is another summons to add. and will fail you your NCT.

http://www.revenue.ie/leaflets/carplate.pdf
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI318Y1992.html

Advertisement