Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Odyssey

Options
  • 05-11-2006 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Anybody know anything about these i am looking at a 2000 .From googeling them there does'nt seem to be any major issues.Transmission problems on the American one but as far as i can tell it is a different model than the japanese model.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

drove all the west coast of the u.s.a. in one. all over n.y. dc. for weeks comfortable economical no trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I always get the Honda Odyssey and Stream mixed up. Are they the same or two completely different vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

I bought a 2002 one in the summer. A Singapore import. Presume you are looking at an import as well.
    Yes different to the US model. (I went thru the forums, websites etc). I think the Austrailian model is equivalent. (but they like the 3 litre V6 model..... lucky sods). Found it not too easy to get info on them, lots on the newer models.

I think on the 2000 model, there were upgrades that year, so try to keep an eye out for that. I am not too sure on the specifics.

Personally I think they beat the Zafira, and Grand Scenic.
    A) Honda ... enough said... v-tec engine in my own in any case.
    B) Loads of room for kids, walkway between the two front seats into the next row of seats. Big boot.
    C) Drives well, not sure if my calcs are right but mpg in the mid 30's range around Dublin I think.
    D) For me automatic in Dublin rush hour, would not go back to manual.....

Day i bought it I actually went out to look at the Honda Stream (smaller MPV) but was sold on the Ody....

Although a good few listed on CBG and carzone I've only ever seen 1 other being driven around dublin, in 3 months driving it.

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

bazz26 wrote:
    I always get the Honda Odyssey and Stream mixed up. Are they the same or two completely different vehicles?

The Stream is the little brother... The Odyssey the big brother.....
    Totaly different to each other........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Post a pix/link to the EU/ROI Odessey. I think the USA model is a completely differnt vehicle.
    Bit like the smaller Landcruiser is called a 4-Runner here.

True the 3.5L-V6 Auto tranny has had some problems, but they have stepped in and taken care of it at little cost, if any, to the owner.

However, for all their claims, the real MPG does not match the marketing material.

eg, A friend has an MDX, same engine and tranny really and gets 18mpg from a 3.5L (250 hp) engine. My wife has a Voyager, 3.3 (160hp) engine and gets 20mpg (24.2 Imp.).

However the acceleration is incomparable, the Honda being much better.
    Handling. Honda much better
    General interior fittings, switches, Honda better... but you pay a premuim. A premium I see no need to pay.
    However, I see the same Voyager on the UK side is a Luxury vehicle....daft.
    So very hard to compare a US spec vehicle with the EU equivalents.

Is your's an auto or manual box?. and what description engine?.
    I have also noticed some other seating differences.

Mose US vans are 6 or 7 seater, being 2+2+3 Front to rear, many EU vehicles are 7-8 seater, being 2+3+2/3, assuming a 3-row vehicle.
    What is the seating arrangement in yours.?

And with 3 rows what is the gap between the back of the rear bench and the tailgate with the rear bench full back?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/honda/odyssey/2000_8/
    This is the secound generation Odyssey
    http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/honda/lagreat/2000_4/
    Is this the American secound generation Odyssey

Thanks for all your replys i spent hours on the net looking for info on this maybe i should have started here!
    I was originaly looking at a Japenese 1st gen Odyssey a 99 fresh import for about 10k .I then went out to a place in Ballymount yesterday (TVD) they have Singapore imported 2nd gen Odyssey all leather and wood from 2000 on from about 13k on.They look great and i am sorely tempted.The one i was looking at has 90k kms on it ,it is a 2.3 vtech engineand a 5? speed tiptronic auto box i know the timing belt needs doing but would you be better of doing a full kit ie pulleys and stuff.What other servicing would you say needs doing as it is a fresh import.

Sorry to drag this one up again does anybody have any opinions on Singapore imports.From looking at japanese auction prices the cheapest 00 Odyssey would be landed with vrt for about 14k Euro .TVD are looking for 12750 for this one.Is it to cheap? I would appreciate some advice on this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tell us more about your auto Odyssey.....we're actively looking at something like that now, and was wondering about running costs, mpg wise. I'm changing to auto from now on, too.

I've no doubt the 2.3 is a cool car, but it's resale would be worse than zero - and I'd get an insurance quote and price the road tax while you're at it....

I've heard of a lot of E-Class Mercs from Singapore, cheap, but I also heard there was an issue with getting diagnostics, etc, done. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who bought an ex-Singapore anything.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mflynn1971

Have just come across this thread after looking at some odysseys on Carzone. They look great and aside from the American versions seem to have a great reputation. Did you make a purchase. Was it Cristal Cars you visited. Must pop out and have a look. Havent seen one in the flesh for a while. Only worry is the wife might think them too big and cumbersome around Dublin.
    Mike

mflynn1971 wrote:
    Have just come across this thread after looking at some odysseys on Carzone. They look great and aside from the American versions seem to have a great reputation. Did you make a purchase. Was it Cristal Cars you visited. Must pop out and have a look. Havent seen one in the flesh for a while. Only worry is the wife might think them too big and cumbersome around Dublin.
    Mike

Yes i got one a jap import 99 old shape grade 4 80 k kms .I looked at the ones in TVD.ie he is near Ballymount.They looked great but after looking on the net i decided against the Singapore import.

They are a bit on the large side but if you need a seven seater what can you do.I had an Estima so this is actually slightly smaller than that.I also tried a Grand Scenic but it was just too small.

The tax is high but the depriciation on a nearly new/new zafira/scenic makes it look like a bargain.My insurance is about 500 fully comp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

JDM Ody and Isuzu Oasis are the same vehicle (both built by Honda):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isuzu_Oasis

F23A7 SOHC engine is simple to maintain. Would require timing and balancer belts to be changed at regular intervals (60k-72k miles), but like other Honda engines, the tensioners and water pump would only need to be changed if there was something wrong (common reason for waterpump is user putting tap water in te radiator).

Any particular reason you decided against it. Was it bad gut feeling or something more. I went out to see them and they look impressive. Was it the older Shuttle model you got in the end?

Mike

mflynn1971 wrote:
    Any particular reason you decided against it. Was it bad gut feeling or something more. I went out to see them and they look impressive. Was it the older Shuttle model you got in the end?

Mike

They really are impressive cars but i suppose it was a gut feeling that made me not go with it.

I know a guy who imports cars from Japan and he said although he could source a car for me in Singapore the mileage can not be guarenteed and he didnt have the same confidence with the dealer / auction system in Singapore.

I did get the 'shuttle' shape, in Japan the 'new' shape sells for quite a premium .

On the plus side for Singapore imports the TVs and Radio CD players work here with no messing.The Jap one i got has a TV sat nav system that is neither use nor ornament and does not have a leather interior .

TVD wanted 12750 for a 2000 and i imported a 99 old shape for 9.5 k.

A new shape 99 from japan would have cost at least 13000 from Japan.

Yeah the mileage is the big question. They claim to have Singapore service history for them though I havent actually seen it yet. Having been to Singapore I would doubt that many privately owned cars would clock up big mileages. Its a tiny place. Probably more likely to have spend long periods ticking over stuck in traffic a la Dublin. Hows yours going so far. Should be very similar car underneath. Are they as thirsty as the specs suggest?

AFAIK they are almost identical except for the "facelifted" exterior and the gear stick is on the steering column.And the new one has a tiptronic style 'box .I dont know if the box is actually a different one or just updated.

The spare wheel is in the cabin on its side beside the rear bench i am fairly sure this is not the case in the new model.

As for the fuel its not too scary but i have not checked it properly yet.But it is a 2.3 petrol it is definately not going to be great .

Advertisement