Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cant log into linksys router

• 05-11-2006 2:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭

I've tried logging in several times now and have been unable to. I keep getting the "this page cannot be displaued..." page.

I tried resetting the router as well, but it still hasnt worked.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

ianmc38 wrote:
    Any ideas?
    You're using the wrong address, you've got a bad cable, you're plugged into the WAN port instead of a LAN port, your WPA encryption key is wrong, your router is broken.

Take your pick. You haven't provided enough information for anyone else to narrow it down for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Are you connecting wirelessly? Connect using a patch cable to sort things out. Even reset the router again.

Are you running Windows? If so, open up the Control Panel and double click Network Connections. Select the connection that has the router attached to it. Right-click the connection, select Properties. There should be two tabs. One of them has lots of field for filling in addresses. Make sure the radio button is filled beside 'obtain an IP address using DHCP' [or similar]. Try accessing your router again. If DHCP is turned on on the router, you should be in business.

Also, if you have any other active connections [maybe dual ethernet connections and a wireless one], deactivate any you aren't using to simplify things until you solve the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ianmc38 wrote:
    Any ideas?
    Yes, either you're running Wireless without encryption or basically someone has used a tool to scan a range of IP's on your ISP and discovered the web-based-management facility of your router and went "a-ha! I bet this guy didn't change the factory set password!"

Am I right, or am I right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

It was working fine til last week. I'm using it with a zyxel prestige modem.

I changed the address some time back to 192.168.1.254
    I tried both that and 1.1 after i'd reset it. Neither are working.

I tried a different cable and that doesnt work either.

I have the zyxel plugged into the wan port and a lan port plugged into my pc...

ianmc38 wrote:
    I changed the address some time back to 192.168.1.254
    I tried both that and 1.1 after i'd reset it. Neither are working.
    Is your PC getting a DHCP address from the Linksys? (Start/Run, type CMD hit ok. In the black box that opens type IPCONFIG. If you're getting a DHCP address, the Default Gateway entry will be the address of the Linksys.)

If at some time in the past, you've taken some bad advice and set a static address, then turn it off, and go back to DHCP. It was designed to prevent exactly this sort of headache.

• Advertisement

When i run ipconfig, there's no ip assigned...

ianmc38 wrote:
    When i run ipconfig, there's no ip assigned...
    If there's no IP assigned, then either your ethernet interface, your cable or your router is knackered.

It's possible that the DHCP server on the router has been disabled, so set your PCs IP address to 192.168.1.100 and see if you can connect then.

(Or better yet, do a full factory reset. Check the manual on the Linksys website for exact details. That should turn the DHCP server back on, but it will also loose any other settings you;ve made, such as your DSL logonID and password).

Thanks Foxwood. Just to rule a few things out. I can still connect directly to the internet using the Zyxel via the ethernet port on my pc, so I assume this rules out the ethernet interface and cable?

I'll see if I can do a full factory reset on the router this evening when I get home.

I'll also post the output of ipconfig from the command prompt.

Ta,

Ian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I had a very similar problem a few months ago. It was either with my WAP54G or my WRT54GP2. Basically it wouldn't work. It would power on but I couldn't conect to it. Nothing I did got it to work, including a factory reset.

Around that time I was looking into OpenWRT and DD-WRT. I found an article or forum posting or something that linked to a site that talks you through how to get it working again [if it's the same problem].

In a nutshell it involved opening the router, shorting pin 15 and 16 on one of the chips, while powered on. Bingo mine started working again and has been fine ever since.

Maybe scour those two websites and you might find it. It might take a while, though.

ianmc38 wrote:
    Thanks Foxwood. Just to rule a few things out. I can still connect directly to the internet using the Zyxel via the ethernet port on my pc, so I assume this rules out the ethernet interface and cable?
    Yes, that definitely suggests that the problem is with the linksys.

Disconnect the Linksys from the Zyxel when you are trying to connect from the PC. If you're still not getting a DHCP response after a hard reset, then try to set your PC to use a static address in the same subnet as the default address for the linksys (the linksys's default address will probably be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1).

• Advertisement
Advertisement