Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from Thailand

Options
  • 05-11-2006 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a complete dunce when it comes to tax/customs etc but here goes.

I'm in Thailand and have come across some clothing goods that I'd like to import into Ireland to resell - they will cost about 2-3 euro apiece and I would be interested in importing about 4-500 euros worth.

The question is, do you think it would be worth my while given the customs in Ireland, will I be taxed to bits? What sort of charges can I expect?

As I said, i've really no idea what to expect from customs in Ireland - and i'm wondering what the catch is, why isn't everyone importing cheap stuff to resell?!

Thanks in advance for your help,
    AnneMarie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

What are the shipping costs?
    What will be the costs to resell in Ireland?
    What will be the time burden on you to sell the items?
    What is the tax situation with your deal?
    What will be the cost of accounting for this venture?

I think if you take all these things into account you'll answer your own question "why isn't everyone importing cheap stuff to resell"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

On clothes the highest rate duty would be about 14%could be lower depending on what exactly you are looking to import, you could get it lower if there is a preferencial trade agreement between the EU and Thailand. Factor in VAT at 21% on adults clothing payable at the point of entry. As for shipping a couple of hundred euro is all you would be paying. Look in the golden pages fro the clearance agents in Dublin they will set you on the right path

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If they're branded fakes, and believe me they are very good at it, the courier companies won't handle them into this country and the customs will seize them. Been there, seen that, tried that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

A mate of mine shipped in a similar sized consignment (Man U shirts!) from Thailand by DHL (or maybe it was UPS?) anyway the goods came straight in and he paid no taxes. Not sure if he was just lucky or if that is normal. Also not sure what was on the customs declaration. Sorry I can't ask him more as he is out there now and won't be back for about a month. (Assuming he ever makes it out of the jungle :rolleyes:)

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement