Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT! No power in my apartment!!

Options
  • 05-11-2006 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi,

I need urgent help!

There is no power in my apartment.

All the switches at the fuse (power?) board are up, so it's not the usual just flick the switch thing.

My ESB account is OK, and ESB say there are no faults in the area.

The only thing I can think of is the main fuse in the fuse board is gone? I am able to pull it out. It looks OK.

Does anyone know what I can do??

Thank you!

Aoife

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

/before this gets shifted by one of our ever vigilant m0ds:

It's possible, although unlikely, that the ESB main fuse (probably not in the apartment, but in a central meter room) has popped.

Either way, call the ESB again. Whatever the problem is, they should be able to identify it, and if it's on their end, remedy it. I believe there's a small call out fee if it turns out to be an issue with your installation, but either way you'll know.

My money's on a burnt out connection in the "fuseboard" as you call it.

Unless you are on good terms with an electrician, this is the best way to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

:D

Thanks for the replies.

ESB said it will be €100 if the problem is my fault, and I'm a bit poor, so I'd like to see what I can do at my end if possible!!

I have taken the main fuse out (I could easily pull it out) and I will get it replaced.

Is it abnormal for electricity to go without one of the switches flicking down??

Thanks again

:D

Thanks for the replies.

Fo' Sho'...
    ESB said it will be €100 if the problem is my fault, and I'm a bit poor, so I'd like to see what I can do at my end if possible!!

Well, you could call a sparks, but if it turns out to be an ESB issue then you'll end up losing time. I had thought the call out was €75 plus the VAT-must have increased :o
    I have taken the main fuse out (I could easily pull it out) and I will get it replaced.

The main fuse (it's called a 63A Neozed btw if you do need one) has a little disc indicator on the end that faces out. If this is dislodged or loose-you can pull it out with a *very* light flick of your fingernail, then it's gone. I doubt it though. Out of pure interest, if your laptop battery is healthy enough, post back and tell me what it says on the unit (if anything) from which you removed the fuse. Some of these were recalled a few years back for failing in service.
    Is it abnormal for electricity to go without one of the switches flicking down??

Thanks again

How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

is it just your apartment with no power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

best off getting a 2nd year or 3rd year apprentace to do the job for about 40/50 and if its on the ebs end and they said it wasent then they owe u money - just threten small claims court

User45701 wrote:
    best off getting a 2nd year or 3rd year apprentace to do the job for about 40/50 and if its on the ebs end and they said it wasent then they owe u money - just threten small claims court

Don't talk balls.

The "ebs" never attended, merely advised her of the fee if the problem was on her end.

If I were anywhere near the OP, I'd have the problem identified in minutes, as would any electrician worth their salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Hi,

I need urgent help!

There is no power in my apartment.

All the switches at the fuse (power?) board are up, so it's not the usual just flick the switch thing.

My ESB account is OK, and ESB say there are no faults in the area.

The only thing I can think of is the main fuse in the fuse board is gone? I am able to pull it out. It looks OK.

Does anyone know what I can do??

Thank you!

Aoife

Aoife do you see what happens when you piss off a lesbian? She tracked that down lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved to Gardening & DIY from AH (With redirect.) because I know some people here know what you need to know. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Call a sparks.
    Seriously, we would know in no less than 30 seconds with removing the cover of your consumer unit whether it is your side (your neozed blown), or the esbs side (their cartridge fuse blown).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sparky-s wrote:
    Call a sparks.
    Seriously, we would know in no less than 30 seconds with removing the cover of your consumer unit whether it is your side (your neozed blown), or the esbs side (their cartridge fuse blown).

and charge for the prvilege. I would stick with the esb's fixed fee of €100.

Well I got the ESB out and they said everything is fine.

So still no electricity!!

I need to get an electrician out so.

Can anyone recommend an electrician who -

Will service Dublin city centre
    Will show up on time
    Will not try to rip me off??

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

This thread is making me smile.

Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" boardser.

Diogenes wrote:
    This thread is making me smile.

Couldn't have happened to a "nicer" boardser.

Sorry do I know you?

Let me guess. You're one of my stalkers from the Gay & Lesbian forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Sorry do I know you?

Let me guess. You're one of my stalkers from the Gay & Lesbian forum?

Wow, so you don't just piss people off on the film forum then...

Diogenes wrote:
    Wow, so you don't just piss people off on the film forum then...

Please explain how I pissed you off.

Edit -

Aha. I see now. You're offended because I think movies have gotten very dumbed down, in a paint-by-numbers kind of way.

I apologise you thought Children of Men was ground breaking, incredibly clever and philosophical.

OK I just got an electrician out. The problem IS the meter.

It turns out the lazy ESB man didn't check the meter properly. The "live" connection is working properly, but the "neutral" has sparks coming out of it. The wires are all melted.

How he didn't spot this I didn't know!

Ahhh it's so nice to have electricity back!

Thanks to everyone who offered their help.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Diogenes, please don't post on this thread again unless it is on topic.

Advertisement