Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddam to be hung-Verdict

Options
  • 05-11-2006 1:35pm

Personally I don't agree with death penalties for anyone.

Saddam Hussein has been convicted of crimes against humanity and sentenced to death by hanging.

The former Iraqi president was convicted by a Baghdad court for his role in the killing of 148 people in the mainly Shia town of Dujail in 1982.

His half-brother Barzan al-Tikriti was also sentenced to death, as was Iraq's former chief judge Awad Hamed al-Bandar

Former Vice-President Taha Yassin Ramadan got life in jail and three others received 15 year prison terms.

Another co-defendant, Baath party official Mohammed Azawi Ali, was acquitted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6117910.stm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Especially in a kangaroo court and when some of the assholes that are ordering the occupation of his country should be sitting next to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

More barbarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

it was a sham trial anyway

american laws , american picked judiciary , evidence collected by americans
    ,saddam overthrown , captured and held prisoner by americans
    "IRAQI" trial me asscheek

why concentrate on dujail? sure didnt the americans have a hand in all the others ;)
    they tried to asassinate him so he killed them ....

jail him for life if need be , execute him ?? and they want to make iraq a better place??
    iraq is far worse off now than when saddam was leader .....
    executing him will only make things worse if thats possible
    ah sure they may be dying in their droves but at least they have their "FREEDOM"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I don't agree with death sentences either - especially when you read such things as this:

'Sunnis in Tikrit marched through the city, chanting "We will avenge you Saddam."'

It would seem that you can get rid of the man but not his legacy. Possibly his death will add a little more fuel to the fire. Civil war's a comin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its nice to see such a well-balanced thread about the greatest tyrant (after from Mao and Stalin) of the post WW2 era.

If the law says he will be sentenced to death then thats what will happen unless posters here would like to further interfere with Iraqi law?

Mike.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, sweeping statements such as "the greatest tyrant (after from Mao and Stalin) of the post WW2 era" will even it out :)

I would be inclined the let the Baghdad court do as it sees fit rather than come over all "Amnesty International" from the safety of your PC in Ireland.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nice to see the verdict announced a few days before the US mid term elections. Co-incidence I think not.

All this will do is fuel the coming civil war. Its not about Justice its about barbarity and revenge. I would much prefer seeing this murderer (sactioned at one stage by his accusers) rotting in a cell for the rest of his life dying as a pathetic loner rather than being made a martyr.

Living icon or dead icon? I don't think there would be a any difference in the minds of those who adhere to his credo.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

gandalf wrote:
    Nice to see the verdict announced a few days before the US mid term elections. Co-incidence I think not.

All this will do is fuel the coming civil war. Its not about Justice its about barbarity and revenge. I would much prefer seeing this murderer (sactioned at one stage by his accusers) rotting in a cell for the rest of his life dying as a pathetic loner rather than being made a martyr.

Wht Gandalf said.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    come over all "Amnesty International" from the safety of your PC in Ireland.

Mike.

Nice :)

I never said that the Iraqi (puppet) court doesn't have a right to do what they like, or, for that matter, carry out their masters bidding. After all, it's their country and their funeral. Gandalf put it succinctly when he said it's about revenge. I don't see this helping Iraq become a safer place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

mike65 wrote:
    about the greatest tyrant (after from Mao and Stalin) of the post WW2 era.

Care to substantiate that?

As for the sentence, well it is Iraqi law (sic) therefore it must be correct. Public hanging with the body defiled?.. way to go to smooth into democracy by showing how vengance is back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mike65 wrote:
    Its nice to see such a well-balanced thread about the greatest tyrant (after from Mao and Stalin) of the post WW2 era.

Not even then the greatest, Mobuto was worse but he was a US ally :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

gandalf wrote:

I agree. It shows the utter hypocrisy of the US government. He was their pal once upon a time when it suited them.

And Mike65, as bad as he was I'm not sure about him being the worst post-war tyrant. What about Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Robert Mugabe etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What other verdict was there ever going to be? He was prosecuted to the letter of the law and the maximum penalty will be applied. Invoking the usual "puppet" or "kangaroo" accusations because you don't like what the US has got up to in Iraq is not going to make it go away. In any trial he would have been found guilty as the evidence was overwhelming. Nevertheless he was entitled to due process. Their way of dealing with his guilt, which I don't necessarily agree with, is execution.
    As for the coincidence, yes there may be some truth in that but the GOP are deluded if they think his guilt will bring them any great benefits. A lot of that damage is self-inflicted through their own domestic scandals.

Naturaly I hav'nt got a incontravertable proof he is the third worst but it would seem about right, okay maybe Kim Il-sung gets a place above him.

In no particular order

Mao
    Pol-Pot
    Stalin
    Kim Il-sung
    Kim Jong-il
    Pinochet
    Castro
    Ayatollah Khomeini
    Mobuto
    Galtieri
    Mugabe

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

aidan24326 wrote:
    I agree. It shows the utter hypocrisy of the US government. He was their pal once upon a time when it suited them.

And Mike65, as bad as he was I'm not sure about him being the worst post-war tyrant. What about Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Robert Mugabe etc.

Sure they never should have interfered with what Hitler was at either, seeing as they all sat around the same table a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

mike65 wrote:

If the law says he will be sentenced to death then thats what will happen unless posters here would like to further interfere with Iraqi law?

Mike.

I can just imagine all the war criminals in the white house slapping themselves on the back, this juuust might get them a few more votes in 2 days.

This is sending out a message to all tyrants around the world.. that includes you in Uzbekistan, whatever your name is.. that you must never become enemies with America or they will come and get you, friendly Tyrants goood, unfriendly Tyrants baaaaad.

Welcome to the real world everyone! It was ever thus.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is this gonna be a public hanging? Should we expect to see him all over the internet in a few months? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

mike65 wrote:
    Mike.
    Rubbish.
    General Suharto of Indonesia was far and away a bigger tyrant than the little Saddam ever could have hoped to become.
    Yet Suharto was praised by the US and they continued selling him weapons and training his army throughout his reign.
    http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2749
    Here's another good article:
    "Good and Bad Genocide"
    http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1433

/ Reactionary mode...

I know I know,the U.S is the great Satan yawn yawn Zzzzzzz

Pack in yer yankie jobs(those of you that have them) then! It's true, this country depends on 10's of thousands of U.S backed jobs as do the indirect anciliary services.

Put this high principle where the mouth is :)

They are after all the great Satan.

Those of us that are newly unemployed can bring our principle out to Africa and end the more significant numbers wise murdering injustices there, that we hear so little talk of on this board...

/ End Reactionary mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

ok sadam is a bad egg, however the death penalty in this day in age should be done away with... just lock the man up for the rest of his days .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

In the interests of international law if not justice it would have been better if he had been tried in an international tribunal. There would be less complaints by some of "kangaroo courts" and such like. Of course, in that case he would not then face the rope, a fate to which he sent many thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hang 'im up nice an quick like ...

ker -chukk

Are we there yet,,are we there yet

Over and out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

what a joke, rather than this show sham trial the US could have just summarily executed him when they captured him and it would have been no different.

He should have been tried in the international criminal court, off course the american's and all of saddam's former allies crimes would also have come to light in a fair and open court and we can't have that now can we?

Bush is a far worse war criminal than Saddam ever was, but then as we all know this show trial wasn't about justice for iraqi's. True justice will only come when bush blair and their cronies rot in jail for the rest of their lives but that day will never come.

Tristrame you're so right about Africa threads but no-one cares about that continent as the USA has little involvment when compared to middle-east.

Its hard to inspire any outrage that does'nt involve Dubya and US foreign policy which is a shame.

RedPlanet you are right about Suharto.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HoldenCaulfeild

I wonder when Bush, Rumsfeld, Rice, Cheny, Blair, Olmert etc and their corprate masters will be hung????

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The americans have learned nothing from the brits.
    Killing prisoners only make them martyrs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, you'd thihk christians more than anyone would have that lesson learned.

Advertisement