Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband

Options
  • 05-11-2006 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Is this basically just having normal broadband but getting a wireless router? Is that all? You don't have to get your provider to do anything special. Just get wireless router.

Is there anyway to blag a free one from eircom?

Thanks,

Timans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Wireless broadband means broadband provided by wireless not wire. That is your broadband provider will have a series of masts from which the service is transmitted. You will have a receiver which must be in direct line of site to the transmitter. This is the way I have broadband, I'm in a rural area and the telephone line, which I have now dispensed with, was not capable of receiving broadband.

If you have broadband provided by DSL or cable and you wish to connect addition PCs or Laptops wirelessly then you need a wireless router or a wireless access point attached to your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Ah, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

whats the cheapest you can get a router for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

does eircom wireless have much covrage?

#Elites wrote:
    If you apply for wireless internet view eircom.net you get a free wireless ADSL Router + modem (its a wirlesss, but also has 4 ethernet ports at the back)

the router isnt the best, but it does the job fine. i use it for gaming, downloading etc, and its fine.
    I'm already getting wired internet, Is there anyway to get one from them? Maybe by ringing them and saying I want to start using wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

You can get a Wireless Router from anywhere

I know but €85 is a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

buy a secondhand one for less I guess?

Advertisement