Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone think it's slightly ironic?

Options
  • 05-11-2006 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Two things I've noticed around UCD in the last year or so...

(i) I went into the Student's Union shop below the library last December, everybody knows that shop doesn't sell Coca Cola products, and infact the SU would pride themselves on the fact that this one of the first SU shops in the world to take an "Anti-Killer Coke" stance.

But I wasn't there for the coke, oh no, I was there for a college hoodie. I tried on and bought a grey UCD hoodie for 40 euro, only for it to be handed across the counter to me in a plastic carrier bag with UCD SU printed on one side... and Enjoy Coca Cola on the other. :confused:

(ii) I see Ents are using the Roundel of the Royal Air Force as their logo, what the hell is that about? I could understand perfectly if it were Trinity Ents :D , but not UCD...
    But seriously, I doubt any British universities have adopted the tricolour, the harp or the Irish Air Corps roundel for their SU Ents committee logo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I'd imagine the UCDSU bag stems from the olden pre-boycott times when there was a big sponsorship thing going on. In some of the old college prospectii you could see exterior shots of the Student Centre with lots of Coca-Cola branded canvas sheets for outside Cafe Brava and stuff. Even today if you go to the ground floor of the Science block and go to the SU shop here, the main security railing has a massive Coca-Cola logo on it. Just olden times I'd wager.

As regards the RAF logo... I really wouldn't think it's a deliberate ploy. I know that when it came in, Anto Kelly (the Ents Officer of the time)'s favourite T-Shirt was a green one with a similar type of insignia on it; perhaps there's a link between the two. I really wouldn't worry all that much about it.

Although what IS ironic, is a free ride when you've already paid. Or indeed having ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife. Or perhaps rain on your wedding day? (Up the Royal, btw...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Although what IS ironic, is a free ride when you've already paid. Or indeed having ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife. Or perhaps rain on your wedding day? (Up the Royal, btw...)
    Nothing in that gorram song is ironic. What would be ironic would be getting stabbed when you were looking for a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I have a feeling you guys will like this thread.

Surely that in itself is ironic though?

/me regrets the spammy off-topicness of this thread

To get it back on topic, can anyone confirm that there was a large-scale UCDSU sponsorship from Coca-Cola before the referenda and boycott?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The ents logo is actually funky - so what if it's the same as the RAF's logo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

upmeath wrote:
    (ii) I see Ents are using the Roundel of the Royal Air Force as their logo, what the hell is that about? I could understand perfectly if it were Trinity Ents :D , but not UCD...
    But seriously, I doubt any British universities have adopted the tricolour, the harp or the Irish Air Corps roundel for their SU Ents committee logo?

It's lots of things aside from the RAF logo. It's a Mod logo - I know both The Who and Paul Weller use it. Maybe Ents are alluding to the youthful partying of Quadrophenia?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

To get it back on topic, can anyone confirm that there was a large-scale UCDSU sponsorship from Coca-Cola before the referenda and boycott?

Yup. The Science shop nearly went out of business because of the boycott, because Coca Cola's sponsorship pretty much kept it open, afaik. Haven't been in Science in an age, but there used to be two big round marks above the shop where the Coca Cola signs had been removed from the shop's banner thing above the door. Maybe the marks are still there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The Ents thing isn't really ironic - it's apt.

Former UCD motto and current RAF motto? Ad Astra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

im not from ucd, so maybe i shouldnt be positng here,
    but why are you boycotting coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

subway wrote:
    im not from ucd, so maybe i shouldnt be positng here,
    but why are you boycotting coke?
    You are allowed post here.

We boycott Coke because workers in a coke-owned, but not coke-run, facility got shot by paramilitaries, for being in a union, which the union blames on the management, and claims that the management instigated.

I personally don't agree with it, but a referendum was held and it was passed. There was a thread on this a while back, if you are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

The Ents thing isn't really ironic - it's apt.

Former UCD motto and current RAF motto? Ad Astra

There's a slight difference, UCD motto was "Ad Astra", the RAF motto is "Per Ardua Ad Astra" (through struggles to the stars) but nonetheless a good spot and I suppose it draws a link alright!
    Well the vending machines in Richview have remained the property of Coca Cola to this very day, and were churning out can after can of killer coke goodness (or badness) until a few weeks ago!!!
    In fairness I don't think it's justifiable to adopt the logo of a military organisation that until very recently conducted flyovers over Crossmaglen Rangers training sessions, as a show of power and dominance, just because it appeared on the Ents Officer's favourite t-shirt. If that was the case and I was Ents officer we'd have a logo that read "Enjoy Cocaine". I wonder how that would go down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

You are allowed post here.

We boycott Coke because workers in a coke-owned, but not coke-run, facility got shot by paramilitaries, for being in a union, which the union blames on the management, and claims that the management instigated.

I personally don't agree with it, but a referendum was held and it was passed. There was a thread on this a while back, if you are interested.
    thanks for the reply,
    thats a very unusual reason, i thought that ucd might have had a speciifc issue with coke ireland.
    ill have a look for the thread in a little while

subway wrote:
    thanks for the reply,
    thats a very unusual reason, i thought that ucd might have had a speciifc issue with coke ireland.
    ill have a look for the thread in a little while

Yeah it seems that many students don't agree with it, but then again if it went to a vote and the No Coke vote won, it must be enforced. I personally think it's a tad bit over the top. Coca Cola Ireland and the big wigs of Coca Cola in the USA are the only ones losing out to UCD's boycott, not Coca Cola in South America. I doubt many American universities would give two hoots if a herd of gangsters ran Starbucks in Ireland, or McDonalds, or Coca-Cola. But if South American universities have adopted the boycott then its a good thing for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

upmeath wrote:
    In fairness I don't think it's justifiable to adopt the logo of a military organisation that until very recently conducted flyovers over Crossmaglen Rangers training sessions, as a show of power and dominance, just because it appeared on the Ents Officer's favourite t-shirt.
    Hmmm, fair point. I don't think that it registers with most students tho, tbh. I'd say most identify it with Ents first and foremost, then RAF second (if at all). Just my opinion, given that in all the time I've been here it's only come up in conversation once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hmmm, fair point. I don't think that it registers with most students tho, tbh. I'd say most identify it with Ents first and foremost, then RAF second (if at all). Just my opinion, given that in all the time I've been here it's only come up in conversation once!

Yeah I said it to someone once and they didnt know what the raf was so I say most students dont realise it at all.

AS for the coke thing. In general the coke campaign wasnt followed through.The campigners seemed to have held a refernedum and just left it at that so coke is slowly and easily creeping back on to campus again.

Not quite contributing, but thread of the day... how's about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Not quite contributing, but thread of the day... how's about that?
    How is that decided?

On Topic: I doubt that many people care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

upmeath wrote:
    Two things I've noticed around UCD in the last year or so...
    Its also the UCD connect logo that pops up beside the web address

gubbie wrote:
    Its also the UCD connect logo that pops up beside the web address
    no that's just a random navy roundel with a "P" in the middle... no idea what that's supposed to signify!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The 'p' is just a mirrored upside down 'b'. The 'b' itself stands for Brady, as in Hugh Brady - timelord of the seventh realm.

Case solved. Topic CLOSED.

• Advertisement

Umaro wrote:
    The 'p' is just a mirrored upside down 'b'. The 'b' itself stands for Brady, as in Hugh Brady - timelord of the seventh realm.

Case solved. Topic CLOSED.

Oh yeah... :rolleyes:

Advertisement