Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda3 1.6 touring... opinions?

Options
  • 05-11-2006 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm about to shell out €18,450 on this beauty:

http://www.europamazdacentre.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=449259

I was just wondering what you guys & girls think of the Mazda3. I plan on holding on to it for at least 4 years, so my main "wants" in a car are:

1. Reliability
    2. Comfort
    3. Handling

Pretty much in that order :).

I'd really value some opinions.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Should be ok on all 3 counts.

but

A focus 1.6 Ghia is a safer bet second hand, it will also out handle the Mazda3 and will be just as comfortable. Reliability should be similar too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Thanks for that suggestion. I've had a look about and I like the features of the Focus Ghia.

The only negatives for me are the price (on average €2.5k more for equivalent mileage and age) and the styling. I know that I didn't mention styling in my selection criteria, but I do like the look of the Mazda hatch.

I've already arranged the financing for €18k so I'm bound to that pricing level. A friend of mine pulled some strings on a good rate and I don't want to be screwing her around with price changes :)

Thanks again for widening my options :)

Mike

had you considered waiting till January, 05 Mazda 3 models (and indeed Ford Focus models)should be around 3 grand less then.

Hi Colm

I haven't really. I'll have to do a little more research now. You've made me think twice about the Mazda.

I wouldn't really look twice at a Focus, but looks aren't number one priority for me... more an added bonus.

If you regard the Focus as being a much better beast then I'll give it some consideration.

Cheers
    Mike

DOn't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the Mazda 3. but I'd be giving the Golf 1.6 Sportline and Focus Ghia serious consideration. They should all be in your price range next year.

• Advertisement

I've owned a few Golfs(while living in South Africa) and loved every one of them. I've just been warned that VW's reliability hasn't been great of late.

I'm currently driving a 1.2 Fiat Punto Active (for insurance reasons):) and I really need the step up!

At the moment any of the three will be a massive improvement on the Punto.

My mate who drives a 1.6 Golf actually recommended that I go for the Mazda3 :D

Cheers
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've a 1.4 Mazda3 touring and I think it's a great car. I looked at a Focus when I was buying it but decided on the Mazda3 for 3 reaons - I found it more comfortable, longer warranty and it was about 3 grand cheaper.

The only thing I would change about my car is I'd now like the 1.6 engine.

(actually I want an MPS but realistically ...)

deRanged wrote:
    (actually I want an MPS but realistically ...)

Seconded... :)

I think I'd have to sell a lung to cover the insurance though :D

Mike

P.S. Has to be an American one though with all the extras that they seem to get but that we don't.

I know I'm sounding like a tool, but the Mazda3 touring interior just looks so much better to me than the Focus Ghia.

My other problem is that I took my wife to see it. She loved the interior. I think I'm beyond the point of no return on this one.

I do like the fog lamps, heated windshield and climate control that come standard on the Ghia.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

just go for whichever one you like best, the focus would be a bit better on most accounts and is more sought after so it will be a bit more expensive it has in my opinion far nicer styling than the mazda 3 especially the hatch version but everyone to there own If you can then just wait till january and see if you can get more value for your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The used market is saturated with the Focus due to their popularity with the private buyer and rental companies. The Ghia is less common but doesn't really fetch much more than the Zetec model second hand as most people in Ireland opt for the 1.4 litre model which is not available in Ghia spec. The 1.4 litre Focus however is underpowered.

The Mazda 3 which shares the Focus chassis is less common on our roads and has an extra year's warranty. Personally I prefer the 3 saloon to the hatchback but that is down to yourself.

I would wait until the middle of December to buy though as the car will be turning a year older, the dealer may be a bit more flexible on the price.

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

bazz26 wrote:
    I would wait until the middle of December to buy though as the car will be turning a year older, the dealer may be a bit more flexible on the price.

Why not wait till January 07 when the dealer will be buying in 05 models for a lot less, and will be able to sell them a lot cheaper?

Advertisement