Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver - Can't access any non-Irish sites

Options
  • 05-11-2006 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I just tried bbc.co.uk/google.com/u.tv and got nothing each time.

Mike.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thru who Mikes??? I'm fine .....BT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ooops UTV clicksilver

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

They are currently experiencing a DNS problem, my router can't find the DNS server. Extremely poor state of affairs IMHO. I am considering starting a UTV Internet complaints thread, as frankly this is one of a multitude of problems I have been experiencing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

pushpop wrote:
    I am considering starting a UTV Internet complaints thread, as frankly this is one of a multitude of problems I have been experiencing.

Start by buying the domain so

http://www.utvsucks.com/

only $5

here

https://www.tdnam.com/trpItemListing.aspx?miid=4988001&isc=nameintel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Yeah this happened for a while yesterday too. Seems to be just websites (eMule, uTorrent, etc... work fine)

A temporary fix is to use this proxy: 194.46.8.9 Port 3128

• Advertisement

Cheers, that's great, back in business, for now at least anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Works for me.

Mike.

Mind you, I think it's only a 1meg connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭DecTenToo

There's a suggestion on the (self) support newsgroup to use the OpenDNS nameservers at http://www.opendns.org, which are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. There are instructions on what to change & where for various Operating systems and for many different routers at http://208.67.219.39/start

I've been using them since Friday with no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wiser

Hi,
    Still not working for me. WIll try the open DNS servers tonight. I agree that UTV should have better information on their website if nowhere else. Neither their UK or Irish call centre number is working for me.

A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Remember that using DNS servers outside of the UTV loop will leave your computer open to attack so use only as a temporary measure and remember to change them back. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

carbsy wrote:
    Remember that using DNS servers outside of the UTV loop will leave your computer open to attack so use only as a temporary measure and remember to change them back. :)

Could you please explain how this could possibly be the case?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Ping statistics for 66.249.85.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Documents and Settings\Joseph Delaney>ping www.google.ie

Pinging www.l.google.com [66.249.85.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.249.85.99: bytes=32 time=1865ms TTL=243
    Reply from 66.249.85.99: bytes=32 time=1023ms TTL=243
    Reply from 66.249.85.99: bytes=32 time=1832ms TTL=243
    Reply from 66.249.85.99: bytes=32 time=1942ms TTL=243

Ping statistics for 66.249.85.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1023ms, Maximum = 1942ms, Average = 1665ms

anyone else think these are disgraceful?
    ]#

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

forgot to say, these are with the 3mb clicksilbver pakage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Spear wrote:
    Could you please explain how this could possibly be the case?
    When you tell your browser to go to www.youronlinebank.ie, you anticipate that you'll be going to the real bank website. If you're using a DNS server that's been hacked, you could be sent to a different site altogether, and end up handing your details over to a fake website.

All in all, though, the OpenDNS servers are probably as safe or safer than UTVs DNS servers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Foxwood wrote:
    When you tell your browser to go to www.youronlinebank.ie, you anticipate that you'll be going to the real bank website. If you're using a DNS server that's been hacked, you could be sent to a different site altogether, and end up handing your details over to a fake website.

All in all, though, the OpenDNS servers are probably as safe or safer than UTVs DNS servers.

I'm aware of the possibility of a poisoned DNS lookup, I'm just curious as to how Carbsy thinks this could cause someones PC to be open to attack.

Advertisement